Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

would you rather a 350z or this...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 01:28 PM
Derrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont get it..... You cannot compare a +$50K with one that starts in upper $20's.......are you kidding me! not even close.

I currently drive a 2002 e430 sport ...and just dont want the hassle of owning an expensive EU car and finally understand "VALUE"...

The Z represents FUN+Value
Old 10-20-2002, 02:36 PM
Boomer

Default Would ou......

I had planned to pick up an M3 in 2000 with my Brother-in-law who was getting a 540. It didn't happen and I'm really glad I didn't buy an M3 or a 330iC even though I have lusted after one or the other for many years. I owned a 78 320i for 2 years and sold it to buy my 72 240Z.

I really prefer 2 seater sports cars to coupes, German or otherwise, my first new car was a 2 seater. Also, I have been driving Japanese cars for many years and they are more reliable than anything else on the road in my experience. So, when the Z came out, I had to have one. My brother-in-law's 740iL has had several problems since they've owned it and they were things which stranded him or his wife somewhere other than home.

I find that unacceptable. If my $70K car stranded me as many times as theirs has, I would get rid of it,Stat. So, whoever you are, buy what you want, but I would run the otherway from an M3 after the plethora of problems, I would not even test drive it! Why ask a 350Z lovers Forum what you should buy if you are not worried about money since you indicate you are rolling in it? I should think asking us would be slumming for you.

Last edited by Boomer; 10-20-2002 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:58 PM
frayed

LOL!
Old 10-20-2002, 03:14 PM
jonoz

Thumbs up hey Phreezee

just wanted to say hello, i'm also driving /living in good ole winterpig...just took delivery of my silver space craft a few weeks ago.My son and i had fun trouncing a boxster and a ferrari 328 while still staying under the 4000 rpm breakin limit!!
Old 10-20-2002, 04:06 PM
LiquidZee

if money is no concern, then the m3,

the Z is nice, but nothing compares to the perfection of the m3...woow its sooo beautiful, so fast, and a much nicer interior

(does not come with a blows sound system
Old 10-20-2002, 06:40 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by m477
Um, your "proof" that you own a 745i is you standing next to it at the dealer. Okay, let me go get some shots of "my" Ferraris and "my" Porsche 911 Turbo.

Also, in case I didn't mention it, I also have a quad turbo McLaren F1 that goes 400mph which I keep in the 23-car heated, tiled garage which is located underground beneath my 30,000 square-foot mansion which also contains an indoor olympic-sized swimming pool and a bowling alley, and that is right next to my harem of supermodels and the whole place is maintained by my staff of cyborgs from the future.

But lemme get your opinion guys cuz I can't make up my mind - should I get a Hyundai Accent or a Kia Spectra?
Shut up and don't talk again.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:40 PM
jckolnturn

Default Re: would you rather a 350z or this...

Originally posted by reggi
I ordered a 2004 nissan 350z around 2 months ago. I went to the local bmw dealership yesterday and lying there was a le mans blue bmw m3, stick (not smg). I would rather get stick, but the guy said that if i wanted smg i can get that too. So what would you guys do? The custumized m3 i want was quoted at 52,000. Its almost fully loaded. I would get it before the 350z too. Thanks.
you didn't order a 2004 anything
Old 10-20-2002, 09:40 PM
phreezee

Default Re: hey Phreezee

Originally posted by jonoz
just wanted to say hello, i'm also driving /living in good ole winterpig...just took delivery of my silver space craft a few weeks ago.My son and i had fun trouncing a boxster and a ferrari 328 while still staying under the 4000 rpm breakin limit!!
Hey Jonoz,

Always nice to meet a local, we'll have to organize a 350Z meet sometime this summer. Did you get yours at Ortynsky or Birchwood? I ordered mine yesterday (Oct. 19, 2002), and it will be coming for February. It will probably spend 2 months in my garage getting 20 coats of Zaino, and will hit the streets in April with luck, and warm sun to melt the snow! I have a friend with a Boxster S and he's already trying to make an "appointment."

Cheers!
Old 10-20-2002, 10:38 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My good friend has an M3 Vert with SMGII and has been tracking it for the past few months. He really loves the SMG because it allows him to do the following:

1. Left foot brake
2. "Load" shifts for the corner: He can downshift with the SMG going into a corner, and the car will hold the revs until it is safe to shift. It will then rev match and shift without upsetting the car. While an excellent manual driver may be able to perform similarly with a conventional stick, it really allows less experienced drivers to focus on their line and the feel instead of worrying about rev matching, heel-and-toeing, etc.

If you really want to track the car, the SMG is probably going to make you much more competitive. However, if you like the feel of the clutch, and pulling off rev-matched downshifts while breaking on your own, you'll want to look towards the manual.

Oh yeah, the M3 is more of a car than the Z, but, IMO not as much more as its price would seem to indicate.

Both kick *** (but the Z kicks 1/10th less *** than the M3)!

-D'oh!
Old 10-21-2002, 02:59 PM
robertchen

best way to find out which one you want is... ask yourself:

do you want a 350z? yes or no

do you want a m3? yes or no

simple... if it all comes down to it... buy both.... =), or better yet, buy 2 350z's for the price of 1 and half m3... =)
Old 10-21-2002, 03:10 PM
webcarconnection

Default Re: would you rather a 350z or this...

I ordered a 2004 nissan 350z around 2 months ago. I went to the local bmw dealership yesterday and lying there was a le mans blue bmw m3, stick (not smg). I would rather get stick, but the guy said that if i wanted smg i can get that too. So what would you guys do? The custumized m3 i want was quoted at 52,000. Its almost fully loaded. I would get it before the 350z too. Thanks.
I wait for sure because in time you get the 350Z there gona be a lot of aftermarket goodies that can put your 350Z with a lot more HP than the M3 and still more cheap. and the looks of the 350Z are more exclusive, the M3 is a 3 series, is the same look of the 330 and 325 and there are to many out there.

just my opinion!
Old 10-21-2002, 10:37 PM
webcarconnection

Default Re: Re: Re: would you rather a 350z or this...

thats a valid point, but (please dont flame) a bmw is a bmw and a nissan is a nissan. A modded 350z is a very nice car to have, but its in no way comparable to a bmw m3. Even with all these reports of engine failure, the bmw is still higher quilty (it better be for that price).
Its a matter of opinion, if you want name buy the M3 if you want car value buy 350Z. The point of buying 2 350z for the price of the M3 is good idea too. but in the end a car is a car, I see every day guys changing BMW for Nissan and viceversa, it is a personal decision. I wish you luck and if you buy the M3 I'm sure that you see 350Z in the streets and wish you have a Delorean to go back in time.

Old 10-21-2002, 11:17 PM
Phatmitzu

Thumbs up

I would get the M3...but I wonder if with the extra $$ on the M3 can mod the Z car up to a whole different kind of level?
Attached Thumbnails would you rather a 350z or this...-1s.jpg  
Old 10-22-2002, 02:36 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Re: Re: would you rather a 350z or this...

thats a valid point, but (please dont flame) a bmw is a bmw and a nissan is a nissan. A modded 350z is a very nice car to have, but its in no way comparable to a bmw m3. Even with all these reports of engine failure, the bmw is still higher quilty (it better be for that price).
I don't agree that a BMW is a higher quality car than the Z even with all the engine failures. Reliability is a very good measure of quality and the new M3 has lost all of its appeal for me with all the failures and I am a BMW FAN! I had decided against buying an M3 even before the Z came out because I couldn't get the equipment I wanted; and there is only 1 dealer in my area and dealers do my maintenance so I always have a record of my transactions pertaining to cars.

So, I don't think BMW has any mistique left for me anymore, when I began reading about all of the hassles owners have had with their U.S. dealers over warranty work in articles posted by BMW owner clubs. Some of them sound like they are talking about Yugos. If you confine your statements to higher quality materials, I think you are correct. I won't dispute that, it is a given. But as a daily driver, I couldn't recommend any BMW to a friend unless he/she had very deep pockets and endless patience, too.

Quick Reply: would you rather a 350z or this...