Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

would you rather a 350z or this...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 11:59 AM
Slareau02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a tough call. Thats a beautiful color. I would go with the M3. I mean the M3 has better all around performance and driveablity. And a better interior. But thats also why its 52 grand. 52K-36K is a difference of 16K. It really comes down to how much money you want to spend. If moneys not an object then I would buy whichever car you liked more. They are both great cars and I am sure would be happy with either one. It will come down to which one fits your sports car paradigm more accuratly.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:00 PM
importriders

I would always get the new M3 over the Z, but I can't afford one. To be honest, I can't justify spending that much on a car. That is why I got the Z. Best bang for the buck IMO.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:03 PM
Slexis200

I would take that M3 over my Z no questions asked so incredibly fassssssst!!!!!! Its better in every way, no matter what anyone says, but then ovcourse its more money, and your getting what your paying for. If you can afford that, please, dont even look at the Z, i really have to say the M3 is in a different leage than this car, and im not just talking about speed. I looooove my Z, and its amazing, but the M3 is a far better car.
Besides speed, the quality in the M3 is about 20X higher. Anyone who disagrees is lying. The Z is great, fun, looks hot, and might even get more looks than the M3, but not better... Go for it, and when you do, give me a ride! Ive drvien then 330Ci, and thats one hell of a car as well.....

P.S. i live in new york and i saw that car you have a picture of! whats the name of the dealer again?
Old 10-19-2002, 12:05 PM
rai

Well I think I can speak for most people by saying I would rather have a M3.

1) it's a lot faster
2) it has a better interior
3) it has better resale value (no flame)
4) it has been out for a while so the bugs may be better worked out.
5) it's a lot faster
6) it has a 4/50 free scheduled maintanance and a longer warranty
7) it's a lot faster
8) it will be much less common (5K units vs 30K for the Z)
9) there will be less "kids" driving the M3. (I hope you are not a kid). I don't have anything against kids, but lot's of kids can mean higher insurance costs for everyone)
10) it's available

Reason not to get it:

1) It costs nearly $20K more than a Track Z (nearly twice as much as the base model)
2) it gets wore gas milage than the Z.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:11 PM
rai

Originally posted by Slexis200

P.S. i live in new york and i saw that car you have a picture of! whats the name of the dealer again?
don't tell him, he's just going to go in and buy it out from under you.

Seriously, that is an incredible car to get for MSRP. I was looking at one and it was like a 3-4 month wait.

I would go for the MT (not the SMG).

The SMG is the future, so your next car will probably have one, right now they are still in development meaning that the next generation will be better than the first gen.

If you like a clutch it's better to get one now, because in the future they may be hard to find in up market cars.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:26 PM
tifosi

just want to point out that it actually isn't a LeMans Blus M3, rather it's Laguna Seca Blue
Old 10-19-2002, 12:29 PM
LA-Z

Good god that color is UGLY. I've seen more then my share of M3's in Bev. Hills & L.A. and that IMO is the nasetiest color on a car. It's TEAL. Ghaaa.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:29 PM
esk01998

If you can spare the change, definately go with the Beamer.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:31 PM
rai

Originally posted by LA-Z
Good god that color is UGLY. I've seen more then my share of M3's in Bev. Hills & L.A. and that IMO is the nasetiest color on a car. It's TEAL. Ghaaa.
I guess so, it looks a little fem to me. too much like pastel color.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:36 PM
tifosi

haven't seen a picture of Le Mans Blue M3 yet, but i just happen to have a picture of Le Mans Blue M5,
just imagine how it would look like on the M3

Old 10-19-2002, 12:36 PM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by tifosi
just want to point out that it actually isn't a LeMans Blus M3, rather it's Laguna Seca Blue
AKA Smurf Blue...?

I'd get the M3 SMG-II. If you're getting the 6-speed, then be aware of this: http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm I don't know if BMW NA has fixed this issue so take it for what it's worth.

Also bear in mind that BMW's website lists their unladen weight (curb weight???) as 3415lbs. IIRC, you seemed concerned or inquisitive as to why the 350 is so "heavy" at 3227lbs.

Michael.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:38 PM
tifosi

I'd get the M3 SMG-II. If you're getting the 6-speed, then be aware of this: http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm I don't know if BMW NA has fixed this issue so take it for what it's worth.
M3's S54 engine's problem happens not only on the conventional 6-speed but also the SMGII

the reason that M3 has this problem isn't because of the transmission box but it's because of the engine itself!
Old 10-19-2002, 12:45 PM
Gendo Ikari

I'd pass on it just because of the engine problems...you never know when something like that could happen to you. I'd be too paranoid of it. M5 however, is a whole other story...thats my Euro dream car (Japanese dream cars being GT-R/Evo/STi).
Old 10-19-2002, 12:46 PM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by tifosi
M3's S54 engine's problem happens not only on the conventional 6-speed but also the SMGII

the reason that M3 has this problem isn't because of the transmission box but it's because of the engine itself!
Absolutely right. Let me clarify: after going through that registry, it appears that BMW NA is more likely to warranty a motor equipped w/ SMG-II than a motor equipped w/ the 6-speed. From what I gather, the reason why BMW NA is reluctant to warranty the 6-speeds is because the ECU is telling them that the owner overrevved and the owner(s) swear on their mother's grave that they did not.

Michael.
Old 10-19-2002, 02:12 PM
350zpower

http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm
Old 10-19-2002, 02:27 PM
LIL RAJA

Default Re: would you rather a 350z or this...

Originally posted by reggi
I ordered a 2004 nissan 350z around 2 months ago. I went to the local bmw dealership yesterday and lying there was a le mans blue bmw m3, stick (not smg). I would rather get stick, but the guy said that if i wanted smg i can get that too. So what would you guys do? The custumized m3 i want was quoted at 52,000. Its almost fully loaded. I would get it before the 350z too. Thanks.
sir,

1. it's not le mans blue, that is a M5 exclusive color.
2. this is Laguna seca blue and it was their launch color.
3. get the M3 if you got the money. Z is a very good alternative for people who don't want to spend 52k or for people who is on the budget.
4. the Z will be common but still a great value.
5. whatever u get ENJOY it.
6. 52k does not get you a pretty loaded M3. Cuz msrp is 46k, 675 for destination, 1k for gas guzzler tax, about 500 for luxury tax and sales tax = closer to 52k. By the time you add options it's more like 55k that's without navigation, SMG, and individual options.

Raja

LIL Raja
Old 10-19-2002, 02:47 PM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by LA-Z
Good god that color is UGLY.
But it's okay, as the M3 is butt-ugly too!

To answer your subject question reggi, I would rather get the 350Z.
Old 10-19-2002, 02:57 PM
frayed

M3. But I'm a bimmerhead so I'm jaded. They do everything well, from mundane chores to tearing up the track.

Hard to beat if you have the jack.

Quick Reply: would you rather a 350z or this...