Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire ware and the dealer - the good and bad (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 01:25 PM
MrLoutish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire ware and the dealer - the good and bad (long)

Bad: Uneven tire ware developed around 8K miles and became loud enough by 10K miles for me to take it in.

Good: I called the dealer and set up a time to have the latest TSB performed. The service rep knew exactly what I was talking about. I brought the car in and talked w/ the service rep about how important the car is to me etc.

Good: Dealer calls around 10:00am that day. The dealer had determined the uneven tire ware was sufficient to have the front tires replaced under the warranty extension and an alignment to Nissan specs will be done. The car will be ready latter in the day.

Good: Dealer calls around 2:30pm. The car is done. New front tires have been mounted and the alignment completed.

Bad: I arrive to pick up the car. I talk to the service rep and he says everything is in order. I’m walking out to my car and I notice, from 10 feet away, some marks on my rims. Upon closer inspection there are 6 gouges, symmetrically spaced, on each rim.

Good: I walk straight back in and get the service rep. I take him out to the car and point out the gouges. He looks them over says, “damn…. Let me get your information, I’ll talk to my boss”. So the service rep takes down my work and home #’s and says I’ll call you by noon tomorrow and we will make this right.

Note: At this point I’m a little pissed but feeling good about the way the service rep handled the situation once I pointed it out to him.

Good: Next day I get a call, before noon as promised, from the service rep. He tells me they will repair or replace the rims. I tell him I want the rims replaced. He says OK he will order the wheels from Nissan.

Bad: Around 3:00pm that day I get another call from the service rep and he tells me that he just got out of a meeting with the general manager and the GM said, “those parts are too expensive to replace so the only option is to have them repaired”. I explained that was no acceptable to me and asked to speak with the GM.

Bad: I explain to the GM what happened and that, “I expected him to stand behind his work and the commitments made to me and replace the wheels damaged by his shop, no more no less.” The GM then states, “ it is the policy of our dealership to repair any damage done during service” and that he does not have to replace anything. I said I was not satisfied with his response and asked to speak with his boss. He then said, “I’m the GM there is no one else, what do you want to do?”. At this point I’m pissed and I tell him I don’t feel I have any choice but to contact the better business bureau and the stat attorney generals office. I’ll have to call him back.

Note: I’m pissed now. I’m getting conflicting stories and the GM came at me with a huge attitude right from the beginning of the call. I’m starting to think they are trying to screw me.

Bad: After I calm down I call the GM back and the following conversation ensues. (The following is a synopsis expect where “ “’s are used. The quotes are accurate.)

Me: “I want a copy of the policy faxed to this number.”
GM: What do mean fax it? I don’t have the policy.
Me: I want a copy of the policy that states you only have to repair damage done during service.
GM: “well, it’s not like it’s written down. I mean it’s not like it’s posted in the shop.”
Me: “So really you have no policy then?”
GM: “well, I mean I could write something up for you.”
Me: “So you’re going to create a policy out of thin air?”
GM: “I have a policy! I have a right to have any policy I want!”
Me: You do have that right however how do you expect to hold a customer to this policy if it is not written down?
GM: “Who is your lawyer!”?
Me: (I’m stunned, I have no answer for this) I simply want to see a copy of the policy you stated you have regarding repair work.
GM: My attorneys name is __________ and his number is _______ you better take this up with him.
Me: Fine if you want to go that rout.
Me: I need you insurance carrier information.
GM: What?
Me: A contact name and policy # for your liability coverage. I’m filing a claim.
GM: (long pause) I don’t have that information right here. I’ll have to call you back.
Me: When can expect to here from you?
GM: Today.

Bad: I leave a message for his attorney explaining who I am and what happened. Also asking if he can tell me why I’m being threatened with legal action.

Good: By the time I get home, less then 2hrs after my conversation with the GM, there is a message from the Service Manager (new person not currently involved). The service manager said he had ordered the wheels from Nissan and would contact me in 3-5 days to arrange to have the wheels mounted and balanced. However, the work had to be done at a 3rd party shop and both he and I would have to be present during the work.

Bad: It took 2 ½ weeks for all 4 wheels to arrive from Nissan.

Good: The service manager and myself met and had the old wheels removed and the tires mounted and balanced on the new wheels. So everything is fixed.

From my perspective the service rep was nice and handled things well once I pointed out the probelm. The service manager was very nice and handled things very well once they were in his court. The GM was a class A ***** from start to finish and had zero interest in trying to make the customer happy. I can’t believe the hoops I had to jump through to get nothing more then what I was promised by the first person that saw the damage.

Walser Nissan in Brunsville MN. I would not recommend them.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:55 PM
MrLoutish

Something I forgot to add.

The service manager told me that when the Titan pickup trucks came out Nissan sent new "cleats" to use on the alignment racks since the Titan rims have no lip.

He said he was "99%" sure these cleats would match up w/ the gouges on my rims. Further he said they were now going to be removing the cleats and using the "old" set up to work on Z's with track rims.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Ronny

MrLoutish, a long bad story. I would have also been very unhappy under the circumstances. However, I would have taken a slightly different tack.

Repair, done properly, would have been acceptable to me. If given that choice. I have had repaired wheels pointed out to me and I couldn't tell the difference. I would have agreed to repair subject to final approval. If I didn't like the repair, I would have had to go through your trials.

Sorry you had to put up with someone like that GM. Definitely not a people person.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:03 PM
MadMax76

I am glad there is someone out there who gets those ****** to do their job. There are so many people who got screwed over by dealers. I am really glad this didn't turn out the same way. Good going MrLoutish!
Old 08-27-2004, 11:56 PM
Z'd Up

thanks for sharing your story...
hope none of us have to go through a similar situation
Old 08-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Sly_Z

Good job representing yourself.