Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Former Mustang Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 11:35 AM
DSGMach714

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Former Mustang Owners?

I have a 2003 Mach 1. Car is exceedingly fast.. However, I've owned Mustangs for the past 5 yrs and want to try something new. So any of you former Mustang owners, what was the major difference?

I know the Z will outhandle my Mach, no question. However there is no contest in acceleration. I consistanly beat my friend's Z with little problems from stops or rolls. The Mach will run a low 13 well driven, the Z will run what? high 13? low 14? But with that being said, I don't think I really mind losing the second. I just want a nice refined fun to drive car. Z fit that bill?

BTW, my friend is so **** he won't let anyone else but him drive the Z. So I've only had the experience from the passenger side.

03 Mach 1 289 RWHP, 312 RWTQ

Last edited by DSGMach714; 09-01-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:45 PM
marhot

Yeah, I'm a former Mustang owner.

The difference is night & day (and 35 years worth of automotive technology!)

I sold my '67 Mustang as down payment for my Z and have not regretted it for a minute. I did have several friends told me I was crazy!
Old 09-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Narcosynthesis

The Mach 1 is exceedingly fast?
Old 09-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Zcarboy

I just turned in a 2001 Mustang GT last week and picked up my 350Z. So I can speak for the GT, but not for the Mach 1. At first I didn't think the 350Z felt as powerful as the V8 but after more than a test drive with the Z I could feel the Z has more power. The Mustang is nice for it power and money, but doesn't feel as sporty as the 350Z or have the cool features like heated seats, xenon lights, temp, trip computer. The major different for me was I wanted a sports car with power and not a muscle car anymore. Like the guy with the 1967 Mustang I don't regret replacing the Stang for the Z either.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:24 PM
DSGMach714

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis
The Mach 1 is exceedingly fast?
Coming from a Cobra maybe not, although I have spanked a couple 03 Cobras from stops (thanks crappy IRS on Cobras) to 70-90 or so.. Any car that runs low 13's out of the box is a quick car. But your sarcastic comments do little but bump my thread, so thanks..

Last edited by DSGMach714; 09-01-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:58 PM
JimRHIT

Z's can run 13.0 - 13.2 w/ some slicks and minor bolt ons.

If speed is what you are in it for, stay with the stang. Both of my roomates last year drove mustangs. One had an 01 Cobra and the other at 87 Coupe that runs mid 11s all motor.

Fast? Yes!
Fun? Hell Yeah!
Confidence inspiring? Not at all in the turns
Impressive to most others? Not really, who doesn't have a mustang.

I liked the cars when we were going on chasing cars and having stupid fun, but even my roomate who is a diehard domestic guy could not believe how fun the car was to drive, and the crazy amounts of stares and glares you get in it.

If you want to be seen in a sweet car for under 30k ... this is one of the few cars that looks this good in this category, but if you want to just go fast for cheap, stick with the tride and true ponycar.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:06 PM
DrVolkl

I've owned 2 stangs...85 GT and a 96 GT.

Now of course, these were not as fast as the new mach 1...which I think is a pretty cool car...but they do compare.

The Z is a whole new club...it's just not the same. I'd like to think it's a progression/evolution from a mustang. You won't be disapointed.

When the new stang comes out, you're gonna be wanting something different anyhow, so you might as well start looking hard now.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:17 PM
wildone_106

I used to have a lowly 99 mustang V6, but if the handling on that is the same as the GT, it feels like driving a washy boat by comparison, the Z's tight and responsive and I bet with a TT kit it'd beat a Mach1 if you wanted to set it up like that.

The new stang is due out this year so that may be turning heads for a year before every yahoo has one
Old 09-01-2004, 05:21 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I have had a few stangs.

Z is great for attention, comments, and twisty roads. 6 speeds give you power at any speed.

I'm considering the new Vette as a staight line car and keeping the Z.
Attached Thumbnails Former Mustang Owners?-siderearshot.jpg  
Old 09-01-2004, 05:23 PM
nl12

A Mach 1 could not pass me on the highway went from 75-145
I strongly considered getting a 04 cobra instead of the Z it was a hard choice and I am still not sure if I made the right decision
Old 09-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Narcosynthesis

Originally posted by DSGMach714
Coming from a Cobra maybe not, although I have spanked a couple 03 Cobras from stops (thanks crappy IRS on Cobras) to 70-90 or so.. Any car that runs low 13's out of the box is a quick car. But your sarcastic comments do little but bump my thread, so thanks..

your welcome. Don't be so sensitive.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:49 PM
DSGMach714

Originally posted by nl12
A Mach 1 could not pass me on the highway went from 75-145
I strongly considered getting a 04 cobra instead of the Z it was a hard choice and I am still not sure if I made the right decision
Z is a nice car up top.. However the pull of the 4V DOHC V8 after 3K rpms is pretty nice.. I'm able to pull Z's at any speed rather easily. The Z weights about 3200 lbs, my Mach is about 3300 or so? With a 40-50 RWHP advantage. However going fast in a straight line isn't my concern anymore..

Refinement and quality are. A fun to drive, good looking car with guts is what I want.

The new Cobras are sure nice with the supercharger and ability to get them insane HP numbers for very little money.. I thought about getting one, but eeh.. I wanted something other then a Mustang. And the new Mustang doesn't do anything for me. Wish I would have just kept my Supra.. :\
Old 09-01-2004, 08:09 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have owned a 66 289 coupe, an 88 lx 5.0 hatch, and a 95 cobra coupe. the thing i love about the mustangs, that the z cannot possibly touch, is that v-8 sound.

i was in the market for a car last year and i gotta say probably the main reason i didnt get another mustang is that i didnt want to buy a car that would be replaced in one year.

i figured i would drive the z for a few years, let the new mustang work out its kinks and buy the 2nd or 3rd model year.

i do love my z. as someone else has stated, my roadster gets a lot of looks and compliments. it handles well and is kind of quick, but my heart belongs to the mustang. it is only a matter of time before i go back.

if i were you, i would hold on to your mach 1. you have a great car. i think you may regret doing a switch.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:17 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...And the new Mustang doesn't do anything for me...
come on!!! how can this do nothing for you?

i know it is not the actual production car, but.... come on!!! i agree the stocker doesnt look all that impressive, but you know the aftermarket for the mustang is plentiful and cheap.... oh, yeah that is another thing, the performance parts for the z are REALLY expensive.

again dont get me wrong, i love my z... but keep your car.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:31 PM
wanderlust

I currently have a '97 Mustang GT in addition to my Z. It's funny...even though the mustang has less power, it FEELS faster (gotta love V8 torque). If I drive the mustang for a few days, my Z feels really slow when I first get in it. But wow, once the RPMs build, the power just keeps coming. The Z is truly a faster car, but I've been spoiled by low end torque.

There's no comparison when it comes to handling. The Z makes the mustang feel like a UPS truck. Really.

BTW, the mustang is for sale if anybody wants that pile of ****. :-)
Old 09-01-2004, 11:35 PM
fisherprice

I had a 90 GT 5.0 Convert. Wasn't really into cars back then and it was just for the girls and an A to B car.
Put over 130k on it before I sold it for the final amount I needed for my down payment.

Since it was my first car I have ton of memories but there where a few repairs that had to be made (mostly to the top) that I wish I never had to do.

So far knock on wood my Z has been trouble free. Picked her up last year and should hit 30k by next month.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:01 AM
Chicken

However, I've owned Mustangs for the past 5 yrs and want to try something new.
This isn't the exact same, but I've been a Porsche guy for the last errrrrr... 16 years. Started with a 914, 944, then 911 and when it came time to replace the 911 I considered another Porsche, but looked at the Nissan. I've never been a big fan of Nissan, don't have the same past Z love that many of the people on this board seem to have, but I can tell you one thing... I'm glad I went for a change and got the Z. I really do enjoy the car.

By the way, I didn't sell the 911 just in case, but I'm at the point now that I know I can sell it and not have any regrets.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:36 AM
LeanerJoe
Banned

Mustang = Redneck
Old 09-02-2004, 06:30 AM
mickey

Default Nice stang!

Originally posted by ragtopz
come on!!! how can this do nothing for you?

i know it is not the actual production car, but.... come on!!! i agree the stocker doesnt look all that impressive, but you know the aftermarket for the mustang is plentiful and cheap.... oh, yeah that is another thing, the performance parts for the z are REALLY expensive.

again dont get me wrong, i love my z... but keep your car.
That’s the 5.1 cammer engine. Ford actually built that car from aftermarket parts for 40K (not including the 18K for the base vehicle.) The color is called Grabber Orange… I like that color, though it’s really a yellow.

That car will probably get the same amount of attention as 350Z.

Rgd,
Mickey
Old 09-02-2004, 02:54 PM
DrVolkl

Damn...the one car that could make me sell my Z right now. Must resist the temptation!

I guess being a former mustang owner always sticks with you a little...and having been a huge fan of the original fastbacks/shelby GT500's and this new mustang looking SO much like the originals....makes me worry about my Z's future! Hopefully I can just have both someday!

Quick Reply: Former Mustang Owners?