Sponsored by:

High pressure struts for hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 05:30 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default High pressure struts for hatch?

Hey all,
With the installation of my rear wing, my hatch is now too heavy for the stock gas struts to hold it up except in the hottest weather. Does anyone know of a replacement strut with a little more "oompff" behind it so that my hatch quits taking my arm off? Thanks much.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do that or you can spend about a dime and do this:
Attached Thumbnails High pressure struts for hatch?-hatch-bumper-mod-4-.jpg  
Old 09-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

It is one of those felt furniture pads you put on the feet of tables etc, so they slide easier. I used a hot glue gun and glued one on each side and mine pops right up now. I too have the NISMO wing and had the same problem.

Also, did you remove the weight under the plastic cover on your rear hatch? That will also help. It is located right here underneath and weighs about 3-4 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails High pressure struts for hatch?-remove-weight-here.jpg  
Old 09-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will need more than just removing that little weight for most wings...

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...oducts_id=1429
Old 09-07-2004, 03:40 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Yes, as I said the weight will not be enough. That's why I did the felt pad thing. Works great for me and I didn't have to spend $229.00!!!

Here is another very cheap fix for this problem:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=78922
Old 09-07-2004, 04:59 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Actually Dr. B, I think you're misunderstanding my problem...My hatch will release ok, but once it is all the way open, it won't stay in the "up" position, i.e. I have to hold the hatch open with my hand when putting stuff in the back. I'll definitely check for that weight in the hatch, maybe that will be enough weight-loss to do the trick. Is it present in the '04's as well? I have the Vizage FRP wing, which is actually quite a bit larger than the Nismo wing, so I may end up having to go to greater lengths. We'll see.

Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:01 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
you will need more than just removing that little weight for most wings...

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...oducts_id=1429
Jason,
That's exactly what I was looking for. $229 sure seems a steep price, I guess that may be my only option though. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2004, 05:58 AM
UsafaRice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hadn`t even thought of this problem with the wings before, but it makes sense. For what it`s worth, the hatch weight is 1.5 pounds. It`s hit or miss whether it`s in a specific car from what I understand.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:20 AM
kitkos

So Bonz - this felt pushes the hatch up enough to clear the latch?
Currently when I push the button the hatch rises a little but is stll not high emough to clear the latch so I must use two hands.

My weights are removed but it is a two handed job.... one to hold the button and one to lift the hatch.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:23 AM
John

Default Re: High pressure struts for hatch?

Originally posted by kcobean
Hey all,
With the installation of my rear wing, my hatch is now too heavy for the stock gas struts to hold it up except in the hottest weather. Does anyone know of a replacement strut with a little more "oompff" behind it so that my hatch quits taking my arm off? Thanks much.
I've had this problem for two years, and have since given up. Taking out the weight in the hatch (~2lbs) may help a tad. I can help you with that if you'd like.

BTW Kelly, I almost stopped by your house on Saturday since I was in the neighborhood, but figured it would have been rude to show up at random...
Old 09-07-2004, 10:29 AM
kcobean

Default Re: Re: High pressure struts for hatch?

Originally posted by John
I've had this problem for two years, and have since given up. Taking out the weight in the hatch (~2lbs) may help a tad. I can help you with that if you'd like.

BTW Kelly, I almost stopped by your house on Saturday since I was in the neighborhood, but figured it would have been rude to show up at random...
That would be cool....not sure how comfortable I am ripping interior components out of my car without a helping hand, so that would be great. Was it ever decided what that weight was for in the first place?

You shoulda stopped by! It would have been fine. I'm dyin' to show off the new kit.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:52 AM
John

Default Re: Re: Re: High pressure struts for hatch?

That would be cool....not sure how comfortable I am ripping interior components out of my car without a helping hand, so that would be great. Was it ever decided what that weight was for in the first place?

You shoulda stopped by! It would have been fine. I'm dyin' to show off the new kit.
The weight on the rear hatch is quasi-suspended, and is designed to assist the hatch when you close it since the weight continues to pull down on the hatch for a millisecond after the latch engages. (Don't think that was a good explanation, sorry).

If my Z is back in commission this weekend, perhaps I'll swing by. I'd like to chop some squirrels in half with my C-West lip...
Old 09-07-2004, 11:07 AM
kcobean

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: High pressure struts for hatch?

Originally posted by John
The weight on the rear hatch is quasi-suspended, and is designed to assist the hatch when you close it since the weight continues to pull down on the hatch for a millisecond after the latch engages. (Don't think that was a good explanation, sorry).

If my Z is back in commission this weekend, perhaps I'll swing by. I'd like to chop some squirrels in half with my C-West lip...
You chop em, and I'll scoop 'em!! This Vizage nose is pretty darn low and could probably hold several dozen finely chopped squirrels!
Old 09-07-2004, 02:34 PM
spf4000

You could always dish out 3k for an Amuse dry carbon rear hatch. That should offset the weight of the rear wing, allowing you to use your stock gas struts. ;-)
Old 09-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Yes Kitkos, that is exactly right. It gives you just a little extra umph to pop the hatch up so it goes back to a one handed job.

As for the weight removal, it is extremely easy. You just take out a few screws and it comes right out. The 2 lbs may be enough to keep you hatch up in the fully opened position. If not, you're looking at the $229.00 shocks I guess.

How about a rear prop rod?
Old 09-07-2004, 06:02 PM
kcobean

You chuckle about the prop rod, but I really thought about that. I'd just have to figure out how to make it look tasteful...
Old 09-07-2004, 06:23 PM
roark

Actually Dr. B, I think you're misunderstanding my problem...My hatch will release ok, but once it is all the way open, it won't stay in the "up" position, i.e. I have to hold the hatch open with my hand when putting stuff in the back. I'll definitely check for that weight in the hatch, maybe that will be enough weight-loss to do the trick. Is it present in the '04's as well? I have the Vizage FRP wing, which is actually quite a bit larger than the Nismo wing, so I may end up having to go to greater lengths. We'll see.

Thanks again.
Try www.mcmastercarr.com. McMaster-Carr is THE premier location for mechanical engineering parts. I've used them for years to get hard to find anything and they are first rate.

Type "Gas Spring" in the search window and it will take you to the first page of their catalog (pp. 1060) for these things. You'll find a quick tutorial and formula for calculating spring rates based on load and position. I'd recommend the threaded springs, that provide some adjustment and let you select the ball ends that fit. They ship immediately, and will send a bill later.

I thought about putting heavier springs on my hatch so that it opened completely when I pressed the release button. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:26 PM
roark

Bonz,

You know that there is a TSB for weak release springs. I just told my tech about it, and 12 easy weeks later, some replacement springs with a slightly higher spring rate showed up and fixed the problem. I do like the felt pads though.