2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How well do Z's drag?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 04:15 PM
FinsNCanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How well do Z's drag?

I'm confused.

I totalled my car a couple weeks ago and trying to decide on a new car.

It's between the Z and the EVO.

Could anyone give me some insight on why the Z would possibly be better? I know the EVO is a quick mother and quite a bit lighter then the Z but I guess it's mainly used for auto-X, etc.

Also the chics seem to think the EVO is "ugly"..but I like it
Old 09-11-2004, 04:18 PM
xxlbeerZ

Evo has higher performance, but the Z is better looking and in five years it'll be worth twice as much.

The Z is just an all around better car.

However, if all I actually raced, I'd go with the Evo.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:25 PM
FinsNCanes

Originally posted by xxlbeerZ
Evo has higher performance, but the Z is better looking and in five years it'll be worth twice as much.

The Z is just an all around better car.

However, if all I actually raced, I'd go with the Evo.
I'm more of the daily driver and if someone wants to rev up at me I just wanna be able to take them type deal. Will I go to the track? Sure, maybe a few years down the road if I get a turbo or something, but mainly it's going to be a daily driver street racer (not really just the stop light and go type deal) sort of thing. Drive down to the beach, holla at the hoes, that kind of deal.

And from what I've seen the Z is a few grand cheaper..atleast around here (SW Florida). I know the Z has more HP but it's also a bit heavier. I guess I was just curious on how much aftermarket is out there for the Z cause I know theres quite a bit for the EVO.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:52 PM
FinsNCanes

Originally posted by FinsNCanes
I'm more of the daily driver and if someone wants to rev up at me I just wanna be able to take them type deal. Will I go to the track? Sure, maybe a few years down the road if I get a turbo or something, but mainly it's going to be a daily driver street racer (not really just the stop light and go type deal) sort of thing. Drive down to the beach, holla at the hoes, that kind of deal.

And from what I've seen the Z is a few grand cheaper..atleast around here (SW Florida). I know the Z has more HP but it's also a bit heavier. I guess I was just curious on how much aftermarket is out there for the Z cause I know theres quite a bit for the EVO.
Anyone? You guys don't seem to be as helpful as some of the guys on evolutionm. .
Old 09-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Narcosynthesis

Do you want to go fast or just look fast? That's what you need to ask yourself.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:15 PM
flaviano

after just totaling your last car, you should not be interested in a car because of how well it can drag.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:05 PM
FinsNCanes

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis
Do you want to go fast or just look fast? That's what you need to ask yourself.
Looks are semi-important..

Looks can only keep your interest for so long (with anything IMO).

Why? Can the Z's not get up and go at all? Seems like they could...
Old 09-11-2004, 08:06 PM
FinsNCanes

Originally posted by flaviano
after just totaling your last car, you should not be interested in a car because of how well it can drag.
Well I guess I should go out and get a mini van then
Old 09-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Bball122

Dude, the Z is definatley pretty damn quick. It's up to you though. If it was my decision all I'd have to do is just look at the EVO. I think they are ****in hideous, maybe it's just me though. The Z is gorgeous, and the ladies loooooooooovvvvveee em!
Old 09-12-2004, 08:28 AM
kjh176

IMHO - Coming to a Z site to see what our opinions are about other cars is rather biased since we all love our Zs, but out of many previous posts of "other cars to buy vs. the Z" on this site, I think the concensus is to look at both cars, kick both sets of tires, and drive each of them (maybe multiple times). Then and only then will your questions about "which one is better for ME" be answered. Good luck man!
Old 09-12-2004, 08:48 AM
BKMC

Looks are semi-important..

Looks can only keep your interest for so long (with anything IMO).

Why? Can the Z's not get up and go at all? Seems like they could...
Why dont you do some research yourself and look at some stats?? Try the search button, im sure this topic has come up some time or another. Then, go to the dealership and test drive both cars, and see which is more practical for you. Remember, these cars are quite different (2seater vs 4seater, turbo vs all motor).

-Brian
Old 09-12-2004, 09:39 AM
AceJ587

Looks like youre torn between the EVO and the Z. WHY are you here? You went to an Evo board, and Im sure they recommended the Evo, you come here and have the Z recommended to you. From my experience, whenever I was deciding on two-three-four cars, I would go and test drive them ALL. You are buying this car for You.

Youre comparing apples to oranges, I believe BKMC made a good point. From what I know of the EVO (not much), they run low/mid 13's, while the Z runs high 13's, low 14's. I believe the Z will out-perform the EVO on a road course, and it has more power up top, than the EVO.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Amnbex

Originally posted by AceJ587
I believe the Z will out-perform the EVO on a road course

I'm dying.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:18 AM
KrazY-2K

The Z and EVO are very close competition for each other on a road course. I wouldn't really call the EVO a quicker car than the Z, except for maybe off the line. On a roll, the Z is as fast as the EVO, maybe a bit faster. Like everyone has said, go test drive both of them and see which one you prefer. BTW, the Z is a lighter car than the EVO.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:17 PM
FinsNCanes

Originally posted by AceJ587
Looks like youre torn between the EVO and the Z. WHY are you here? You went to an Evo board, and Im sure they recommended the Evo, you come here and have the Z recommended to you. From my experience, whenever I was deciding on two-three-four cars, I would go and test drive them ALL. You are buying this car for You.

Youre comparing apples to oranges, I believe BKMC made a good point. From what I know of the EVO (not much), they run low/mid 13's, while the Z runs high 13's, low 14's. I believe the Z will out-perform the EVO on a road course, and it has more power up top, than the EVO.
I know I know. I have no car at the moment now otherwise I'd be test driving them all day. I have to wait for people to get off work, etc, and by that time the dealerships are closed. I also forgot my damn license the one time I did go to the dealerships.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:18 PM
FinsNCanes

Originally posted by KrazY-2K
The Z and EVO are very close competition for each other on a road course. I wouldn't really call the EVO a quicker car than the Z, except for maybe off the line. On a roll, the Z is as fast as the EVO, maybe a bit faster. Like everyone has said, go test drive both of them and see which one you prefer. BTW, the Z is a lighter car than the EVO.
Are you sure? Isn't the EVO like 3300 and the Z is 4100? That's atleast what the dealer told me when he looked next to the door. I just looked at the nissan page and if I'm reading it right it looks like the heaviest of the bunch is like 3250 or so? If that's the case that's a lot better then 4100.

The Z just looks really heavy.

Last edited by FinsNCanes; 09-12-2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:33 PM
NovaTime

there is a lot more to a cars power than just weight. the corvette is heavier than a lot of cars but owns them in the quarter and on the track. if you're looking for pure dragability, go american.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:35 PM
KrazY-2K

Are you sure? Isn't the EVO like 3300 and the Z is 4100? That's atleast what the dealer told me when he looked next to the door. I just looked at the nissan page and if I'm reading it right it looks like the heaviest of the bunch is like 3250 or so? If that's the case that's a lot better then 4100.

The Z just looks really heavy.
4100?!?!

Sorry, but don't go by anything a dealership tells you. Curb weight for a Z is ~3180.

4100.... LOL....
Old 09-12-2004, 02:41 PM
FinsNCanes

That's not too bad then. Nah, he looked at the sticker on the car and apparently it said 4100 and I was like "holy ****" that's heavy as hell.

Nice to know it's not that much.

Quick Reply: How well do Z's drag?