Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Advise/comments requested

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 08:22 AM
Jerseyplanner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise/comments requested

I have been lurking since the being of the summer and enjoy reading the posts. I soon will be forced to give in my company car (new cut cost policy) and will need a car for my daily 30 mile round trip commute. I love the Z, but it seems so impractical for what I need......but I want one! My friends tell me to get a G35....they are nice but.....

Other than it getting nicks (ouch), being a little dirty most of the time (until the weekend wash day) what else do I worry about? I live in New Jersey and we get some snow so does it mean I can't drive the Z even after the roads are plowed?

I know most of you guys (and ladies) would cringe at using your Zs for a daily commute and I too would like to just use it on sunny days for pleasure only but I can't.

I am looking at a 2005 manual Touring in silver chrome or siverstone.

So let the comments fly.

Last edited by Jerseyplanner; 09-12-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:45 AM
AceJ587

If you can afford it, GET IT, cars are meant to be driven.

OR, you can do what I did lol...I have the Z as my
''weekend" car, and a 97 Civic HB as my commuter. cheap reliable little beaters can be had for around 2k. I HAD to go this route, because before I got the civic, I had put 6k miles on my Z in Two months from my daily commute (80 mile round trip) alone!
Old 09-12-2004, 09:57 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Advise/comments requested

I currently commute over 50 miles a day and have about 45,000 miles on my 2003. It's a great daily driver and comfortable for long distances as well. I can't talk about snow being in So. Cal. but from what I've read, you can get some good snow tires for the winter months.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:29 AM
spdu4ia

if you can afford it is the opotune phrase but, personaly i went out and bought a 97 chevy truck for $1500 to use on rough days and long commutes... i love the fact i can park the Z when need be. but its all up to you and you know what you can afford.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:30 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

I'd be willing to bet most Zs are driven on a daily basis.

From comments I've read here, snow tires will help but most will tell you to get a "beater" for snow days.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Jerseyplanner

Default C'mon I need your feedback

Thanks for the replies so far but I need more input, especially form folks in snow areas and states with high insurance rates. What is the deal during the winter? And what are the rates? I am getting a little opposition here at home about it so I would appreciate your wisdom.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:05 PM
Reggi914

I use myn everyday and its a great car for daily use. If its snowing VERY lightly you can drive it, but if the snow is sticking, i would not drive it, even with snow tires. After the roads are plowed, you can drive it but i would wash it every week or so to get off the salt.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Zcarboy

Default Re: Advise/comments requested

Originally posted by Jerseyplanner
I have been lurking since the being of the summer and enjoy reading the posts. I soon will be forced to give in my company car (new cut cost policy) and will need a car for my daily 30 mile round trip commute. I love the Z, but it seems so impractical for what I need......but I want one! My friends tell me to get a G35....they are nice but.....

Other than it getting nicks (ouch), being a little dirty most of the time (until the weekend wash day) what else do I worry about? I live in New Jersey and we get some snow so does it mean I can't drive the Z even after the roads are plowed?

I know most of you guys (and ladies) would cringe at using your Zs for a daily commute and I too would like to just use it on sunny days for pleasure only but I can't.

I am looking at a 2005 manual Touring in silver chrome or siverstone.

So let the comments fly.
Ok like you I live in NJ too. I have a 2004.5 touring 5/AT. As for the G35 or Z, the G35 back seat isn't as use able as it looks, but can put more items back there. And drives smoother too than the Z from what I hear. I drive about 58 miles round trip a day 5 days a week to work. I do drive my Z daily on most days except when it rains hard or snows. I have a 2000 Neon for those days. I am not saying the Z isn't drive able in rain or snow, but prefer not to drive on those days. Like other say you can go with the snow tires, but there will be times where that isn't enough. So a winter beater is the first option and then snow tires. As for insurance that is different for everyone, but mine is close to $1,950 a year. Being 27 and in NJ high insurance in expected. Hope this helps a little.

Old 09-12-2004, 05:26 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, while I'm sure there are lots of people here who drive their cars in snowy areas, the very nature of the car makes it a poor choice for winter driving. Wide tires, *relatively* low weight, rear-drive, lots of torque, and high responsiveness are all factors that work against you in the snow. If you can afford it, pick up a front-driver for use in the winter. When I bought my Z, I kept my Ford Probe. The roads here in No. VA are rarely bad enough that my Probe can't travel them. If it's too deep for the probe, my wife and I just double up in her Mitsu Montero, but that has only happened once or twice. It would be worth it in my opinion to build a couple of grand in cash into your purchase plans to pick up a second car. If you crash the Z in the snow because it's the only thing you have to drive, it will really suck.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:16 PM
JoneZZZ

Having lived Northern New Jersey prior to the Chicago area......my advice is to get a beater for the winter.....I LOVE MY "Z"...but it is not made for snow driving. Consider the following....ground clearance beneath the front airdam would not give you clearance for what you are likely to encounter in the Jersey area.....IMO