Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Road Swine

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 02:18 PM
ZeaRay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Swine

...and cops wonder why they get so little respect!

Coming home from work today, I passed a well-known speed trap. I glanced over to the display - I was going my normal speed for that stretch (62 in a 55). I didn't even bother to slow down. (this is Michigan, where less than 15 over makes you a traffic hazard)

The pig pulls me over! He asks if I knew I fast I was going, so I said, yes, 62. He tells me that he clocked me at 74.

He wrote me up for 5 over (like he's doing me a favor). I pull away and realize what he did - he fed me a pre-emptive lie so I would admit to going MORE than 5 over. That's written on the ticket, so there's nothing I can do about it.

I'm guessing he was bored, behind on his quota and mad that half of his 11 uneducated autoworking-kin are out of a job because domestic cars sales are in the toilet. He got some revenue and got to punish a rice-burner at the same time.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:39 PM
RJW0501

how do you know he has 11 uneducated auto-working kin?

I agree that the ticket may have no merit, but leave it at that, you make yourself look like a jackass with the last comment.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:47 PM
ZeaRay

I'd go to court if the ticket lacked merit. I was going 7 over. It's being tricked that I object to.

The auto-worker comment comes from being in an area where people who buy anything other than trucks from the Big 3 are considered less-than-American.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:54 PM
TZUNAMI

Lets see, you were speeding, you admitted it.

I think you're mad at yourself for being stupid and are taking it out by flaming the officer who was doing his job.

good job winner
Old 09-14-2004, 03:05 PM
ZeaRay

Yeah, I am mad at myself. I clearly need some help with the ticket-dodging strategy.

Being polite doesn't work, honesty is stupid... So how do you avoid getting your car insurance rates doubled? I guess admitting 4 MPH over is the only safe way to go - in Michigan at least, that's not enough for points.

As far as the officer doing his job? That's nonsense. He was collecting revenue, and in all likeliness doing so w/ a personal agenda.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

stupid pig... typical

At least you arent 19 years old driving a 350z, that alone will get ya pulled over for looking like you are going fast. Then, because again you are 19, stupid sht cop will try to search your car.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:47 PM
AceJ587

Originally posted by ZeaRay
Yeah, I am mad at myself. I clearly need some help with the ticket-dodging strategy.

Here's a GOOD one: Drive the Speed limit.

"As far as the officer doing his job? That's nonsense. He was collecting revenue, and in all likeliness doing so w/ a personal agenda."

MORON statement of the month.

Maybe you'll learn something from this. Really easy and Ignorant to say "I didnt do anything, the cop was wrong!" which SOMETIMES IS the case (cops are human too) but not in this case.. You did nothing wrong.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:49 PM
AceJ587

Originally posted by Ahsmo
stupid pig... typical

At least you arent 19 years old driving a 350z, that alone will get ya pulled over for looking like you are going fast. Then, because again you are 19, stupid sht cop will try to search your car.

F***ing Idiot.

you just Stole the "Moron of the thread" award.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:43 PM
ZeaRay

Sarcasm and insults aside, I hope NONE of the Z owners on this forum get the opportunity to experience being "profiled", targeted by bigotry or otherwise unfairly pursued by law enforcement. (and let's face, as owners of high-performance Japanese autos, there's a decent chance of that!)

I'm going to enjoy my car less tomorrow than I did yesterday. I won't be safer on the road, just poorer and more guarded.

I think that's too bad, not to mention completely unecessary.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:55 PM
TZUNAMI

I'm going to enjoy my car less tomorrow than I did yesterday. I won't be safer on the road, just poorer and more guarded.

I think that's too bad, not to mention completely unecessary.
Yep, and to think it all could have been avoided if you'd driven the speed limit. Hard lesson for you to learn I guess.

BTW - Everything you just said, is exactly why the officer wrote you the ticket. Hopefully the pain in your wallet and being more gaurded will have you thinking twice next time you speed.

Seriously, though, I'm mostly playing devils advocate. I speed my *** off and have a radar detector. However I don't blame the cop and make defamatory statements about police officers. Rather, I accept the risk that I was taking and am a man about it. Suck it up and quit being a whiner.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:08 PM
ZeaRay

Ok, we're talking about SEVEN miles an hour here! I've spent the better part of 600,000 miles or so somewhere around 10 over.

Huh? What part of my comments do you attribute to the cops motivations? Do you think he wants people to enjoy their cars less? Be poorer? Spend more time looking for speed traps? Um, no.

One of my points here is that I wasn't taking a risk. I was going a speed that in other cars is completely acceptable. The Explorer next to me was probably going 61, and he cruised on by.

This was actually my second ticket this year. I didn't think I was speeding the first time, but the limit dropped suddenly and he was counting on me not noticing. He was polite and professional. He even recommended that I go before the magistrate and explain the circumstances, which I did. They reduced the fine and I STILL paid $90 and got 2 points. I'm not complaining about that. It's not where I like to see law enforcement concentrate their efforts, but those circumstances were different.

When that radar detector fails you (and dude - it will - they're almost completely useless) I will really be interested in hearing your reaction.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:10 PM
TZUNAMI

I sure as **** won't come on here and ***** and moan about it.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:29 PM
ZeaRay

speaking of bitching...!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:12 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by TZUNAMI
Yep, and to think it all could have been avoided if you'd driven the speed limit. Hard lesson for you to learn I guess.
Next time you break the speed limit (read: tomorrow) make sure you remember to call yourself an indignant hipocrit.

The game of writing tickets is amazingly political, and in many cases IS about the money. YES, the OP was in fact speeding, but I can't tell you how many officers here I've seen doing the same overage, in their patrol cars no less. So is it unsafe? Obviously not, because the law is (supposed to be) black and white, and what's good for the goose is (supposed to be) good for the gander.

My personal belief is that writing someone a ticket for mildly exceeding the speed-limit or rolling at 1 MPH through a stop sign is completely ridiculous. The revenue generated by such a ticket BARELY covers the cost of the cops time while he writes it and the administrative overhead of processing it and the associated records. So what you have now is a system that exists to pay for its own existence. That is NOT the intent of the law. Here's a thought Mr. Police officer, go catch a real criminal.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:15 PM
TZUNAMI

I said that I was playing devils advocate. The only thing that bothers me is that someone gets a speeding ticket that they rightly deserve and comes on the forum bitching and flaming the cop. That is moronic.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:22 PM
ZeaRay

wow - the last time it was this hard to get a point across, the subject had a tail, fur, and was standing in a pool of his own urine!

Dude - SEVEN MILES PER HOUR! Even grandmothers don't consider that "speeding."

On the bright side, my frustration about being this stupid ticket has been overshadowed by a whole new frustration.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:42 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by TZUNAMI
I said that I was playing devils advocate. The only thing that bothers me is that someone gets a speeding ticket that they rightly deserve and comes on the forum bitching and flaming the cop. That is moronic.
And the point that the OP is trying to make is that some logic should be applied to traffic laws. Deserved (as you put it) would be doing 55 in a 25 down a residential street or 90 on the freeway during rush hour. I'll bet if you look at the NHTSA crash statistics, a VERY small (read: miniscule) percentage of accidents occur *because of* speeding in the range of 7 MPH over the limit by a sober driver. So do you continue to persecute people for something that isn't impacting the community or do you re-focus your energy into bigger, more pressing issues....
Old 09-14-2004, 06:54 PM
TZUNAMI

Hitch a ride boys.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:41 PM
roydiculous

Tzunami - what is your deal?

If you hate everyone so much, GO AWAY! What's up with your bigotry? "***ot County"? Time for you to BE BANNED.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Jetpilot718

wow - the last time it was this hard to get a point across, the subject had a tail, fur, and was standing in a pool of his own urine!

LMAO, good one.

And not for nothin guys (read: Tzunami, Ace), but cut him a break. Sometimes when somethin shitty happens, it makes people feel better to vent about it. It's not like he asked to bang your sister, so relax fellas.

And boy, have I ever seen such a bunch of stone throwers living under the same glass roof. Speeding tickets are complete ********. They were probably designed with safety in mind, some time far far away, in a land that is well - not here. Now, they are to generate revenues for the state, as well as the insurance companies from which the police recieve kickbacks. Politics is the word of the day here people.

Wake up, you wanna talk about safety? Can you tell me that at 55mph, the guy in a brand new Enzo is just as safe as someone in a late 80's conversion van with more rust than paint? I'd rather be next to the Enzo personally...

-Jet (adheres strictly to the rules of the FAA because they are designed for SAFETY, not funding gov't. org's.)

Quick Reply: Road Swine