12.80%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

The Best Motor Oil for Our Z!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 06:15 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ezee
"Well, if you've never used it, you don't know what you've been missing, right?"

What have I been missing? Please explain.
I didn't mean anything particular. It's just how life goes... I always liked italian cousine and sought that I'm all set and happy with it. Untill I've tried sushi couple years ago.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:34 AM
JT-KGY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like and use amsoil...

I've tried
Mobil1 trysyn and royal purple... didn't like either
Old 10-31-2002, 04:06 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by dpanet
I heard that once you go synthetic, you can't switch to regular oil coz it will ruin your engine. Is that true?.

No.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:31 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by dpanet
I heard that once you go synthetic, you can't switch to regular oil coz it will ruin your engine. Is that true?.

BTW, My friend had an imported Evo 287 4 cylinder. and he put regular oil in it , he ended up paying 5000$ for a new gear for his car. The regular oil ruined the gear and the clutch.
I can offer this as my only experience. I changed my MR2 Turbo from mineral-based oil to Mobile 1 at 80,000 miles. The service manager said not to ever change it back to conventional oil and hinted at dire consequences if I did.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:20 PM
Aldous

i used Amsoil in my last car and got a significant rise in mpg..5-6 after changing the motor and tranny..I am going back too Amsoil in the spring...went to castrol syntec at 2.5k
Old 10-31-2002, 01:30 PM
Boomer

Default Best oil

Just to clarify my earlier post, I drove the car another 48,000 miles w/the original turbo and I never stopped taking it to the redline. It used a quart of Mobile 1 every 1500 miles when I traded it in for a honda, the service manager at the acura dealer next door(same company) bought it the same day.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:21 AM
cabalisticfire

Default first post, my .02

I'm not a 350z owner, not yet anyway, but I have a few things to say about oil. First off, synthetic is OK to run from day 1 just like the Mobil 1 site says. I currently own an Audi S4 which comes from the factory with Mobile 1 just like some of the other cars in their list. As for which brand is best. On the street Mobil 1 works great and will rarely ever see the temps that may push it to break down, especially in a N/A car. I'm running a twin turbo that likes to run close to 250 deg when pushed hard and still no probs with Mobil 1. Tons of other S4 owners are having great luck with this oil. A few folks that I know that push their cars hard on the track have switched to Amsoil Series 3000. They did some data logging and found 5 deg or more drops in temp vs what they typically run with Mobil 1 and compared to other cars being run on the track at that day. My opinion is that for street driving Mobil 1 is the way to go but for extensive track use you may want to look at something like Amsoil. Since the 350 is a N/A car, unless it runs unusually hot, I would just run Mobil 1 and forget about it.

Last edited by cabalisticfire; 11-13-2002 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:56 AM
JT-KGY

Default Re: first post, my .02

Originally posted by cabalisticfire
I'm not a 350z owner, not yet anyway, but I have a few things to say about oil. First off, synthetic is OK to run from day 1 just like the Mobil 1 site says. I currently own an Audi S4 which comes from the factory with Mobile 1 just like some of the other cars in their list. As for which brand is best. On the street Mobil 1 works great and will rarely ever see the temps that may push it to break down, especially in a N/A car. I'm running a twin turbo that likes to run close to 250 deg when pushed hard and still no probs with Mobil 1. Tons of other S4 owners are having great luck with this oil. A few folks that I know that push their cars hard on the track have switched to Amsoil Series 3000. They did some data logging and found 5 deg or more drops in temp vs what they typically run with Mobil 1 and compared to other cars being run on the track at that day. My opinion is that for street driving Mobil 1 is the way to go but for extensive track use you may want to look at something like Amsoil. Since the 350 is a N/A car, unless it runs unusually hot, I would just run Mobil 1 and forget about it.
I would only change from manufacturer's oil to syn after
properly breaking in the car. I've heard some manufacturer
(Honda, in this case) puts additive in the oil to help the
car break-in initially.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:14 AM
cabalisticfire

"I would only change from manufacturer's oil to syn after
properly breaking in the car. I've heard some manufacturer
(Honda, in this case) puts additive in the oil to help the
car break-in initially."

I agree. Sometimes there is special break-in additives in the oil. Once the break-in period is over you shoud be all set to switch. My S4 came with break-in Mobil 1.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:33 AM
mike952

Default Re: here's mobil's reply...

Originally posted by jacen2y
to the myth about breaking in new cars with conventional oil...

http://www.prod.mobil1.com/index.jsp

by the way...for those who have switched to mobil1 syn...what viscosity...5w-10, like the manual says or other??? and do you still play to change oil every 3000 cause it can get expensive
I use 10W-30 mobil 1...because I live in South Florida and temperature never reaches below 0. Also because from what I understand, 5W-30 is really 10W-30 stock ...with a special additive to make it 5W-30. I dont' remember where I read it, from the oil perspective 10W-30 is preferred unless explicitly needs 5W-30 for some reason.

Remember the first number is the viscosity when starting cold engine...while the second number is normal operating temperature viscosity...so the 5W and 10W....really only makes a difference at startup; thus extremely cold environments should go for 5W
Old 11-13-2002, 10:59 AM
goofyZ

how often are you changing your oil if your using mobil one?
Old 11-13-2002, 11:46 AM
cabalisticfire

In general Mobil 1 will be good for 5-10K miles depending on the car and how it's driven. What is the Nissan recommended service interval for the Z? I'd just stick with that unless it's a really low number (3k or less). Changing synthetic oil in very close intervals is a total waste of money and resources. Oil just doesn't get dirty as fast any more since our fuel systems are so advanced now. Used to be that the inefficient A/F rations that carburated motors would run would cause a lot of unburned fuel to dirty up your oil in only a few thousand miles. These days that just doesn't happen. Track use or similar high stress situations may warrant more frequent oil changes.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:06 PM
cabalisticfire

Originally posted by venom42
I use Mobil1 every 3000 miles because I am a fanatic, and my car is a turbo.
hmm, turbos here too. Do you run really high temps or track a lot? Worn out rings or other contributing factors? Running really high boost? Just curious since 3k is a really short time for full synthetic.

Quick Reply: The Best Motor Oil for Our Z!