Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

missed a shift, now hearing a noise - what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 10:40 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's hard to tell, if you're on the highway and you push in the clutch and rev it to 5-6k and let it fall back down it's loud then. Sometimes it's loud in 1st driving around at like 20-25mph, other times it's not loud in 1st, but louder in 2nd driving at around 40-45 mph. Either way it's gotta be above 4-5k rpm's

also when i let the clutch out or push it in while it's making the sound, you can feel it in the clutch, but the clutch engages fine.

Anyway, I did take it in this morning, so we'll say what they say, but I'm hoping it's just the transmission. 1st gen transmission - looking forward to getting latest model if that's what they end up doing.

will write an update when they tell me.

As a side note, i'm thinking of changing out my shift **** to one of those Nismo GT ***** now to help prevent me from doing this again. Also recomend people to read that page on hand positions for shifting - it really does seem to work to make your hand feel awkward if you were to shift into a dangerous gear. (sorry no link, do a search)
Old 09-20-2004, 02:32 PM
sentry65
the burninator

alright well I just got a call back from Nissan saying that sound "is perfectly normal"

said he drove 2 other Z's and they make that sound

he said he opened up whatever and everything looked normal as far as he could tell. I really tried to emphasize that this it didn't do this before and suddenly started doing it one night. I told him I've never heard a Z do this. I used to own two automatics before this one and they didn't do it and told him that (leaving out that they were automatic) and said they didn't do it and he just said 'well i don't know'

I asked if I can test drive a 2004 and see if it makes that noise and of course he said that could be arrange with the sales dept.

I asked if they looked at the cats to see if they were loose or imploded or whatever, of course he said yes.

I KNEW they'd jerk me on this. Maybe time to try a different dealership.

Ok, so now to ask any of you guys here with manual Z's, do you get a raspy buzzing sound at 4-6k rpm's that sounds perfectly normal to you?

I don't like being put in a position where I have to start being a dick to dealerships. I mean, I want the damn thing fixed. Even if warrenty doesn't cover it, I want to KNOW what's up with my car and why it sounds so bad.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:25 PM
sentry65
the burninator

well now i do kinda feel stupid

I got to the dealership, drove an 04 and it does make the noise too! just not as much, and more tinny and thin sounding. The sales guy said it was definitely coming from the rear of the car.

I talk with the service dept. He said it was my shifter cause when you grab the shifter (remember mine is the rogue shifter which doesn't have that rubber cushion on the rod like the stock one does) that the sound goes away or changes/gets softer. They probably had no idea i replaced my shifter since it was done at another dealership. So as he was telling me this they I remember from reading that part about the rogue shifter making more noise, maybe even at higher rpms. I just never thought about it or remembered that part. So I was halfway thinking maybe that the noise is just your basic rattle everyone seems to have or it actually IS the shifter after all. Well I get driving, and try grabbing the shifter when the sound starts, and well it does get quieter or goes away.

So I think that's been my problem the whole time. My miss shift happened like a day and a half after getting the shifter installed. So maybe I just never got familiar with the new sound. Man I really feel stupid now. After reading about all the problems people have had with the Z on this board and people's struggle with the dealership, I just assumed this was a continuation of that. Nope.

BTW, driving an 04.5 vs my 03 back to back, I'm thinking it was the suspension, but man the 04.5 felt way better. More solid. Just turning the wheel you felt like the car was rock solid. Mine has 2900 miles on it so I guess it can be considered somewhat broken in if that has anything to do with it. I think the 04.5's transmission felt maybe slightly better, but nothing drastic. This makes me want to consider some suspension mods now to be even better.

The dealership was pretty nice though. Because I got the extended warrenty, I basically get a free rental car every time I bring my car in for something so that in itself makes me feel good about getting the warrenty cause saving $25 a day is still $25.

I'm still replacing the shift **** though and seeing if I can look into putting some electrical or duct tape around the shift **** in the same place the stock one had that rubber on, just to dampen that sound down if that might have anything to do with it.

So thanks everyone for your support and troubleshooting skills and sorry for the stupid false alarm.

Last edited by sentry65; 09-20-2004 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:23 PM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah still coming from shifter or transmission

Last edited by sentry65; 09-20-2004 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:25 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe during the mis shift you broke a boot or a rubber ring on the shifter?
Old 09-21-2004, 06:27 AM
sentry65
the burninator

well I got the solution figured out. I just need more louder mods to cover up the sound
Old 09-21-2004, 06:41 PM
AZZGUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sentry65
here's an update on my problem, I only hear the noise when the car is moving. I can't replicate the sound just by reving the engine while being stationary.
Then the solutions eems quite obvious!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:34 PM
ISH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered that it all could be just mental? When something like that happens you start looking for problems that aren't really there. Your hearing probably went up a notch after that.

Same thing happened to me on my 04 with only 2000 miles while racing. Was redlining in 3rd and hit second. I was doing like 75-80 when I hit second. Yikes!!!!!! My car jerked forward almost to a complete stop. It was only for a millisecond as I immediately pushed the clutch in .
5,000 miles later and car's running perfect.

I agree with the other guy who posted, replace your shift ****. I got my Nismo GT and cant' miss a shift. Get the rubber one it has an awesome grip.

Last edited by ISH; 09-21-2004 at 07:36 PM.