Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tire feathering on my 2004.5, 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Bill d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by m|2. B|2 ya|\|
What do they do for you if you have feathering? New Z ??? Im just over 10000 and my tires seem loud to me but im not sure how loud is the "Feathering Loud" Can someone give me an idea as to how loud it is. I suppose i can also just look at the wear on the tread of my tires correct??
I doubt you have feathering just yet.
The feathering sound is a WHA WHA WHA like sound. It will actually get louder as your coming to a stop. Mine begins at about 25mph, and last until I stop. It will progressively get worse until the WHA WHA WHA sound actually becomes a tire roar.

At that point you will need to have your tires turned (or replaced) and a ajustment to your toe in. These are only temporary measures. It will come back. Apparently this is a major design flaw with the Z
Old 09-30-2004, 11:33 AM
phoenixZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So do the G35/G35 Coupe have this problem? If it's a suspension design flaw, you'd think all cars would share the same issue.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:33 PM
palmerwmd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Q45tech
Performance directional tires with soft compounds on performance suspensioned cars all feather to varying degrees. Unless you rotate and flip remount every 3-4,000 miles.

The differential heel toe block wear [///////] eventually get deep enough to notice [the sound] but you can measure it on 1,000 mile tires.

Precision frequent wheel alignment is something non performance car owners don't understand............been a known situation on 300zx since the early 90's.

If you have performance tires just something you get use to or buy harder non directionals [and lose performance].

Japanese have a hard time understanding why someone would buy a performance car and then complain about the on going cost of the performance..........[tire and brake replacements].

That's the problem with introducing a relatively inexpensive to buy sporty car ..........buyers don't /can't reserve the $200-$250 per month for maintenance.

If they explained this in detail fewer would/could buy the car.

Used [2nd, 3rd, 4th owners] they will sport cheapo tires and hard brake pads, paper thin rotor, and Azone belts and garbage oil filters and fluids as they drop down the food chain........towards the junk yard.

I always suggested tires be optional, in that the buyer must bring their own when they buy a car..............tires are such a pain for the factory as are wheels and quality soft brake pads.

Somehow buyers think the factory can break the laws of Physics.
Dennis:

I was starting to read this post and thinking ."wow, this could have been written by Dennis and then Voila"

Fred...
Old 09-30-2004, 04:38 PM
palmerwmd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 350zRoadster04
Is there any truth to the "directional tires all feather" comment?
Q45tech is one of the Gurus at my other site Nicoclub.com aka nissaninfiniticlub.com.
I have never known him to post something incorrect.
Even with hindsight and checking by critics.

Fred..