Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I can not for the life of me get my ECU to Reset using the technosquare notes

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 12:30 PM
SilverstoneZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I can not for the life of me get my ECU to Reset using the technosquare notes

My car has been running like complete junk the last 2 weeks. I figured it was the gas but I guess not. I am having a slight knock/ping and horrible idle. My car is stock beside a drop in k&n if that makes a difference. I have tired 30+ times to do the technosquare reset to see if that makes a difference but I cant get it to work. Any ideas or different ways to reset.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2004, 01:23 PM
noahbuddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first question? do you have a technosquare ecu? the procedure is for their ecu reset.

Try this if you don't. Do this three times...

turn car off
wait 3 mississippi
turn car on, but don't start. just to accessories.
wait 7 mississippi, the airbag light should go out
turn the car completely off.

then start the car and it should have reset.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:35 PM
SilverstoneZ

Originally posted by noahbuddy
first question? do you have a technosquare ecu? the procedure is for their ecu reset.

turn car off
wait 3 mississippi

Do that 3 times and thats it? I will give it a try.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Conceyted

thats not the correct ecu reset procedure. The notes for technosquare is the correct way you just need a stop watch and near PERFECT timing. I have done it so many times now that I can do it without a watch or clock. Just follow the technosquare ecu resetting procedure and use precise timing and you shoudl be fine. The other procedure listed above is an ecu reset but its not the primary. It is something to do with air volume relearning or something.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:49 PM
SilverstoneZ

does disconnecting the neg battery terminal and pumping the brakes a few times and leave it disconnected for a few hours do the same?
Old 09-28-2004, 01:53 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard that the battery disconnect works but, it has to be disconnected for something like 24 hours. The Technosquare procedure works but you have to be exact on the timing.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:57 PM
SilverstoneZ

Damn the Technosquare one is frustrating. I guess I will give it a try again when I get off of work. I guess I am not skilled in the art of foot timing.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:07 PM
noahbuddy

Originally posted by Conceyted
thats not the correct ecu reset procedure. The notes for technosquare is the correct way you just need a stop watch and near PERFECT timing. I have done it so many times now that I can do it without a watch or clock. Just follow the technosquare ecu resetting procedure and use precise timing and you shoudl be fine. The other procedure listed above is an ecu reset but its not the primary. It is something to do with air volume relearning or something.
And I've used my procedure so many times and don't need a stopwatch either since it's based on the lights on the dash.
It resets the learning that the engine has done as well as things such as the air bag light, limp mode, slip light locked on and I'm sure many other things that I don't even know about. That's the few things I've used it for. As allways, YMMV.

Good luck
Old 09-28-2004, 02:21 PM
mdacko

technosquare one worked for me just fine on stock ecu. just use a wristwatch.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:54 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I can not for the life of me get my ECU to Reset using the technosquare notes

Originally posted by SilverstoneZ
My car has been running like complete junk the last 2 weeks. I figured it was the gas but I guess not. I am having a slight knock/ping and horrible idle. My car is stock beside a drop in k&n if that makes a difference. I have tired 30+ times to do the technosquare reset to see if that makes a difference but I cant get it to work. Any ideas or different ways to reset.
Thanks
How do you know it's not working? Unless your SES light is on, there is NO way to tell that the ECU has reset. The reset doesn't zero out any of the counters in the trip computer or anything, those are all controlled by the BCM. So what criteria are you using to determine that it's not working? If your car is not performing properly, an ECU reset isn't going to fix it. Your ECU is acting on data it gets from the Various sensors, and I would suspect those first, even if your SES light is not on. Otherwise, you've got bigger problems like a bad MAF sensors or something.

Oh, and the reset procedure on TS's site is absolutely, 100% positively the correct way to reset the stock ECU. I know because I have used it SEVERAL times to reset my ECU post GReddy EVO2 install.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:57 PM
kcobean

Originally posted by noahbuddy

turn car off
wait 3 mississippi

Wrong wrong wrong. The reset listed on their site is absolutely for the stock ECU. I have used it multiple times and it works perfectly.

The process you have listed above does nothing in the 350z, and I can confirm that it appears nowhere in the service manual. Where did you get this information?
Old 09-28-2004, 05:04 PM
kcobean

Originally posted by teh215
I have heard that the battery disconnect works but, it has to be disconnected for something like 24 hours. The Technosquare procedure works but you have to be exact on the timing.

Disconnecting your battery for 24 hours because the reset procedure is too difficult is like taking the bus because driving a car is hard. First of all, I suspect that the OP isn't really sure if the reset is working because he has no standard of measurement. The reset procedure takes some time, but once you get the hand of it, it's not that hard. But once again, if your SES light isn't on, there's really no way to tell if it actually reset or not.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:19 PM
SilverstoneZ

Originally posted by kcobean
Disconnecting your battery for 24 hours because the reset procedure is too difficult is like taking the bus because driving a car is hard. First of all, I suspect that the OP isn't really sure if the reset is working because he has no standard of measurement. The reset procedure takes some time, but once you get the hand of it, it's not that hard. But once again, if your SES light isn't on, there's really no way to tell if it actually reset or not.
I see I was under the idea that when you did the Technosquare reset the CEL would start blinking. Thats what I was looking for. I did the reset with a watch and still didnt think I did anything. I let my car idle before I left work for about 5 mins and drove home. I did notice a difference in idle. I am taking my car in on sat to see whats up with it.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:00 PM
kcobean

Originally posted by SilverstoneZ
I see I was under the idea that when you did the Technosquare reset the CEL would start blinking. Thats what I was looking for. I did the reset with a watch and still didnt think I did anything. I let my car idle before I left work for about 5 mins and drove home. I did notice a difference in idle. I am taking my car in on sat to see whats up with it.
The CEL will flash whatever code the ECU trapped. If there aren't any faults registered, I don't know for sure if it will flash. I've never tried to reset the ECU without it having first thrown a code. I can give it a try and let you know though if you want.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:19 AM
kcobean

It shouldn't matter. As long as you follow the procedure exactly, it works. Like I said, I've never done this without the CEL being on, so I'm looking first for the code, and then the reset. I'm going to try the reset tonight with the CEL off to see what the light does during the reset, just so I know for sure.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:09 AM
SangWL

i had the same problem as you did, i did it over and over again but no signs of reseting it.

i then took it to the dealer and they plugged it in and reset everything, and gave me a printed out form showing how my ecu was kinda messed up cause i kept trying to do the technosquare thing.

it literally took like 2 min for them to reset the ecu and give me the report.

sang
Old 09-29-2004, 05:37 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by SangWL
i had the same problem as you did, i did it over and over again but no signs of reseting it.

i then took it to the dealer and they plugged it in and reset everything, and gave me a printed out form showing how my ecu was kinda messed up cause i kept trying to do the technosquare thing.

it literally took like 2 min for them to reset the ecu and give me the report.

sang
Can you clarify what "kinda messed up" means, and how that affected your car? Also, why were you trying to reset your ECU. I was under the impression that the reset either worked or it didn't, there was no middle ground of effect on the ECU. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:34 AM
nickelsnickels

I will be sending in my ECU Monday and presently have a pile of mods ready to install (Crawford Plenum +hiflos, DC SS Hdrs, JWT Popcharger, SS Pulleys). Do I install, then flash... or do I flash then install. Ps, I ran out of cash for the Injen SS exhaust, but it will happen.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:35 AM
SangWL

Originally posted by kcobean
Can you clarify what "kinda messed up" means, and how that affected your car? Also, why were you trying to reset your ECU. I was under the impression that the reset either worked or it didn't, there was no middle ground of effect on the ECU. Thanks.
well my prob was the idol and from installing my stereo and dvd stuff, it messed up the lights on the dash, i forgot what kind of light indicators.

regardless, it really didn't mess up the car at all, just annoying to see all the lights on, the ecu reset was to get rid of the lights.

my recommendation was that the dealer can do it the best and fastest way to reset the ecu.

sang

Quick Reply: I can not for the life of me get my ECU to Reset using the technosquare notes