Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Moving To Utah Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 05:20 PM
liveoneva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving To Utah Need Advice

Well, because of work requirements, I will be moving to Utah tomorrow, and because of events out of my control (for the time being) I am forced to bring only one vehicle.......you guessed it. My prized Z!

So as you might expect, I was wondering if anyone has any helpfull hints for driving/interacting in a cold, snowy, crappy, slushy, salt smeared........um, sorry. You get the idea. Apart from not mashing on the brakes and washing the salt off of it as often as possible, any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Liveone

I'll be away from my computer for quite a while as I get settled, so please excuse my absence from participating in this thread as much as I would like.

Last edited by liveoneva; 09-29-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:06 PM
SeanG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news and bad news.

The bad news is: your coming to Utah and it snows, and there is not alot you can do about it.

The good news is: We don't always have harsh winters. Some years we have alot of snow, and others we have hardly any. They do an excellent job of keeping the roads clear of snow and ice.

But, get some snow tires. Wax car good before Nov 1st.

Is your car undercoated? It helps with the salt.

Get another car for the winter as soon as you can!!

By the way, Utah is one of the most beautiful states. Mountains all around, nice winding canyon roads to drive from Spring to Fall.

Hunting, fishing, hiking and just about anything else you could possibly imagine.

Those that leave usually come back. Those that come here usually stay.

There is also http://www.zclubofutah.com

Good Luck - it's an awesome place to live.

Last edited by SeanG; 09-29-2004 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:42 PM
liveoneva

SeanG, thanks for such a quick reply. See, I knew you guys would have some ideas that I would have never thought of, living in Florida for most of my life. Snow tires!!!!!!!! That sounds like a plan. I'll hope for the "have hardly any" winter!!! LOL

Thanks again!
Old 09-29-2004, 07:09 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Buy some skiis.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:11 AM
4myZ350

DON'T-------if you must ,get radio active clothing . if you us there's you could get sick!!!
Old 09-30-2004, 10:35 AM
moxiez

Question

Originally posted by 4myZ350
DON'T-------if you must ,get radio active clothing . if you us there's you could get sick!!!
WTF???
Old 09-30-2004, 10:46 AM
moxiez

Unhappy Re: Moving To Utah Need Advice

Originally posted by liveoneva
Well, because of work requirements, I will be moving to Utah ...
My best friend lives down there in SLC... and all I can say is good luck with the religious types. They'll drive you insane.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:26 AM
SeanG

Default Re: Re: Moving To Utah Need Advice

Originally posted by moxiez
My best friend lives down there in SLC... and all I can say is good luck with the religious types. They'll drive you insane.
Nah...There are religious types everywhere. It's not as bad as the rest of the country makes it out to be. There is low crime, and alot less dead beats that live in Utah. Besides, it's not always about the people. But, rather about your surroundings. The Salt Lake Valley is about 40 miles long and 25 miles wide and completely surrounded by towering mountains on all sides, and 7 different canyons leading into those mountains.

How many places that you know of can you hike, hunt, fish, water ski, snow ski and mountain climb all within 15 to 40 minutes away.

There are a lot of people that my company transfers in from other parts of the country. They send them here to look around first. Having all this and so much of it right in their back yard, tends to seal the deal.

Not perfect, but it doesn't get much better.

Last edited by SeanG; 09-30-2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:38 AM
Hogstar

SeanG: So.Calif. Oceans,lakes,rivers, mountains,snow and deserts.
Next question.
Hey, do you know Arvin?
Old 09-30-2004, 11:50 AM
SeanG

Originally posted by Hogstar
SeanG: So.Calif. Oceans,lakes,rivers, mountains,snow and deserts.
Next question.
Hey, do you know Arvin?
No.

Ya, I lived in Socal for a year. Nice. There are many places I've visited in this great country that have all that.

But, it is never the same. I guess I'm just a little biased.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:50 PM
510dat

A few years ago my friend and I took a road trip to visit a college buddy who moved to SLC. I was not impressed with SLC (look west, and it's all DIRT), but once you get out of it the scenery is quite beautiful. At the north end of the lake is an animal sanctuary, great birdwatching. We met a few people in the city, and took another road trip to south Utah, Bryce canyon, etc, absolutely GORGEOUS; it was fall, the leaves were turning...

Back in SLC, the people really creeped me out. Lots of them were fine, but watch out for anyone in a white button down shirt, black tie and "fixed" smile. (of course, I have long hair, Scott was pretty scruffy looking...) We went to a grocery store, and the checker absolutely refused to communicate with us, he had been chatting up the lady in front of us, beeped our food, and then stared off into the distance, away from us. Scott had to lean over the counter to see what the price was.

Oh, yeah, the convenience stores there are great; big, and always have clean bathrooms. Best of luck!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:05 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,299 Likes on 900 Posts
Default Snow tires are MANDATORY!

Living just east of you in Colorado, I can only second the recommendation to buy some snow tires! The Z's weight distribution and RWD layout makes it DEADLY to drive in the true slick stuff (which you will face in Utah).

My advice: buy a set of used 17" alloys off this board and have a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS or whatever M & S (mud and snow) tire you choose mounted on them. Put them on your prized Z from November through March and learn to drive in the snow! take 'em off for the spring and summer and your Z will get double the life from both sets of tires!

It's amazing how many folks come to the mountains out west and think they can drive the same way in the wet, slippery stuff that they do back where it's warm and dry! Glad to hear that your relocation allows you to keep your Z, but don't delude yourself into thinking that a "few hints" will keep your Z safe using the OEM or summer tires in late fall or winter...

Am I saying this strongly enough?!

Last edited by dkmura; 09-30-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:18 PM
sal1

I have to agree with SeanG, SLC is not so bad. Since I live about a 5 hour drive or 45 min by air from SLC and it is the closest biggest city I and my family have been there a few times. I tell you something, it is the easiest city to get around, and I've driven in Rome, Paris, Frankfurt, etc.

I, like SeanG live in the mountains, that is Sun Valley, Idaho, but unlike him, our place is small.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:08 AM
FastWRX

Cool Snow tires & practice !

As long as you get yourself a set of winter rims (to spare your nice rims from the corrosion due to road salt), and mount a good set of winter tires on them, you should be fine. Respect snow, and practice driving in it (how it feels to lose control etc..) so that you don't panick when you drive in it. Being gentle on the throttle and the steering inputs is the way to go. Oh, and be patient !! -> driving in snow means you won't get to youy destination as fast you'd like. I drove a 1998 Camaro SS 2 winters in Montreal (Canada), and was fine.
Get your baby protected with a rust inhibiting undercoat and good wax, and she'll stay beautiful.