Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Important! Just heard from my dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 09:34 PM
dc350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Important! Just heard from my dealer...

Nissan has pushed back the delivery dates of the early cars to September. I placed my order on 01/16.

Apparently, Nissan made the decision not to have a trickle of cars in August, they want the whole load, in big numbers, starting in September. When exactly in September, I still don't know.

Dissapointing, but what can we do......
Old 06-15-2002, 02:24 PM
TCL

I could understand that if the delay was due to production quality assurance or changes, but the idea of storing a number of customer-specific cars for an extra month doesn’t sound logical to me. Wouldn’t Nissan be concerned about possible damage or loss during that period? It also defers dealer income for another month, not to mention the extra wait for those customers.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:26 PM
BILZ Z

I sure hope you're right JmanZ, I ordered on 1/16 also.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:40 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had originally done this research in an effort to get pictures of the various colors, but since we have already seen most colors, and since it would be quite a lengthy stakeout to try and get close-ups of the cars at the port, I'm thinking maybe this info could be used for another reason.

I'm now thinking of a vantage point from a distance, binocs in hand, and doing a count of the Z's as they disembark. It would be like what my wife and I do counting whales as they migrate by Palos Verdes.

Ship Schedule Thread
Old 06-16-2002, 12:41 AM
lazyZ

Default My dealers schedule..

I am number one on the list of pre-orders my dealer has from Nissan. The manager tells me my car is scheduled for July production and September delivery. So, this seems to be about what everyone is hearing from their dealers too. I guess this is the truth, with Sept. being the best we can hope for. Any rumors of earlier deliveries are probably false.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:58 AM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

Starting to look like a Z-less summer.

Have to agree with laZy. I am also a 1/16 order (in the top 500) and Nissan originally listed my production as June and delivery as August. As one can see from the note below, I'm now July/September. If we ordered on Day One and are now pushed to September, how can anyone expect August?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
nissan info.bmp (46.6 KB, 94 views)
Old 06-16-2002, 01:20 AM
blueshift
Charter Member #83

perma grins...HA! that's hella cool J

-blue
Old 06-16-2002, 01:50 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Default Re: Important! Just heard from my dealer...

Originally posted by dc350z
Nissan has pushed back the delivery dates of the early cars to September. I placed my order on 01/16.

Apparently, Nissan made the decision not to have a trickle of cars in August, they want the whole load, in big numbers, starting in September. When exactly in September, I still don't know.

Dissapointing, but what can we do......
Talked with my dealer today and they are saying that Nissan is taking the extra time to do quality control on the first cars and that they don't want to rush it. The first six of the 24 cars they pre-ordered will be in Atlanta between Sept 2-5. He had no information on the other pre-orders he had placed (including mine). The best guess he would give was late Sept. or October for my car. However he said that he had ordered a Black Touring to sell and that if I come by on Sept 2 I could get to drive it. Guess I am going to take what I can get at this time.
Old 06-16-2002, 02:33 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The date you pre-ordered is probably insignificant, as long as it was dealers first allocation, and you ordered by the cutoff.

I don't think Nissan will build cars in the chronological order that pre-orders were received. Anyone who got a confirmation with Aug-Oct delivery probably has the same chance to receive the first Z at their particluar dealer.
Old 06-16-2002, 03:49 AM
Phat Z

Spoke to my dealer yesterday in Miami and he let me know that 16 cars would be arriving Sept 30 plus or minus 10 days.

I ordered March 15.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:24 AM
dc350z

Cool

Jmanz:

So far, I have found no reason not to believe my dealer. However I am hoping for August, not September.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:13 AM
SeedyRom

Originally posted by JmanZ
Reason I say that is that production on the Z started last week in Japan. <b>The production lines have begun to roll.</b>

I didn't get this from NNA, in fact it was denied to some degree, but I did get it from my guy that is there, in Japan himself. He told me the lines started last week. I can ask a specific day if you want, but I am not sure that he knows that.

I am not saying the cars will be here early, for all I know the first set are for the Police services over there. They have an order of 30 350Z's in last I heard.

-j-
It was denied for good reason...because it's not true. I can with 99% confidence (can't say 100% because hey, illogical things can happen!) tell you that he is wrong or that what he saw was a test run of the tooling or something else. I don't have hard proof but I have information from about 11 different areas that would make that nearly impossible...or at the least very stupid given the things that need "adjustment" still.

Back to the delay note: If anything, common sense should tell everyone that if the car is delayed part of a month it's for GOOD reasons and that in the longrun it will be worth it. I can feel for those that may have to wait though...my god that's gotta be painful.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:39 AM
SeedyRom

Originally posted by JmanZ
Well, all I know is that my souce has been 100% correct thus far and he's not someone that wouldn't know what a tooling run looks like. He knows his stuff, and that's all i can say on that without giving too much away about him.

I understand that NNA sources will say otherwsie, but let's face facts, the car is not built by NNA. NNA finds out after Nissan Japan does things or tells NNA the way it's going to be. I did post though that I'm not saying the cars being created right now are for NA shores though. I have no clue if they are or are not.

I was told that the so called delay in production was mentioned so customers would cut Nissan some slack with the cars. If Nissan can surprise a customer by delivering a car a month or weeks ahead of when they've previously stated, they look great. If they promise a car and then it's 2-4 weeks late, they look bad. Which way does common sense tell us they'd go? Quote late, deliver early if possible.

just my 2 cents

-j-

Oh I understand how that is...then again, I've been burned by the "100% correct so far" people before...so it's good you're treading cautiously and not saying it's "fact". You can just never tell 100% until you SEE it. You're mostly right about how Japan works with NNA but there are people from Japan here at NNA that work in conjunction as we speak and I doubt the communication cable is "cut" between them. That means everyone should know...so I can only gather that if something is rolling there, it's NOT pertinent to us in the US...and that's my point.

It's the last part that gets me though...knowing how car companies work, I can't fathom trying a stunt like that to "surprise" the consumer. There is SO much more at stake when trying something like that. Everything from the smaller issues like people going out of town thinking the car wont arrive only to have it show up to the more drastic like losing a customer that has had time to rethink and/or has chosen something else. Of course, these are unlikely events but that's just two examples of many things that I'd think could end up being "not so good" about it. I mean, I'd understand it a bit more if the ORIGINAL date was September and they then popped up in August...but not to change an already set date, **** off hundreds/thousands that preordered only to say "surprise! We got you pissed for nothing and boy aren't we clever?" at the end of it.

I can't see it
Old 06-16-2002, 03:28 PM
Flyingscot

Isn't the real question here, whether Nissan is making tweaks as Seedyrom is suggesting. Cause if they are, then won't that delay production?

BTW: Can anyone tell me what constitutes mass production by today's standards? Thanks!
Old 06-16-2002, 04:07 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

This jives with what my dealer told me. Nissan doesn't want the preorders to show up in dribs and drabs. They want to hit the streets in a massive number, which might partly explain why they're waiting until most of the pre-orders are ready before shipping to dealers.

Quick Reply: Important! Just heard from my dealer...