Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need some "luv".....Does anybody like this car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 08:33 AM
jsz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some "luv".....Does anybody like this car?

After almost 10 months of waiting (ordered 1/26), my Touring MT Silverstone loaded is finally expected 11/14. But everything I read here seems to scream out "DON"T DO IT!".......Bad paint, bad tranny, squeaks and rattles, bad Bose (at least this has a fix) etc. Is there anyone out there who has their car and doesn't have bad things to say. Maybe waiting for 2004 isn't such a bad idea after all.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:46 AM
Danimsta

i dont have teh car
but i would really like one

but you have to think, not every car is perfect....
this car only has a couple problems with it....
i say STAY WITH IT!
Old 10-28-2002, 08:47 AM
Killermove

Oh please!!!! There are always problems with cars!! Check J.D. Powers "Initial Quality" survey for more information.

By far, most of the Z's are FINE. Very few have problems (with the exception of Bose owners -- that seems to be across the board).

Very few tranny problems overall. Maybe a few with real problems. Comapared to all the people that have Z's??? Very few

...paint -- is it really "bad" paint?? Or just different than you were expecting? I'm not discounting the reality of "orange peel" but do you think 90% of Z's would go out with an acutal paint PROBLEM? There was discussion before about new regualtions changing the chemical requirement causing orange peel to be more "noticable".

Now, I've had LOTS of compliments on my car and yet NO ONE PERSON has said "nice car, but the paint looks bad" or "nice car but why does it have all that orange peel?"

TRUTH is -- you don't notice unless your face is so close to the car your oging to leave a nose print.

Squeks and rattles?? I've had the passenger seatbelt rattle TWICE in 3,000 miles. Put it in the clip and everything is fine -- most of the time, it is NOT in the clip and doesn't make noise.

These things will not change with the next model year. Bose will be fixed, maybe fewer tranny problems, but alltogether, there ahve not been many WDIESPREAD issues.

It's a great car.

Ryan
Old 10-28-2002, 08:55 AM
LowFuel

Default Re: Need some "luv".....Does anybody like this car?

Originally posted by jsz
After almost 10 months of waiting (ordered 1/26), my Touring MT Silverstone loaded is finally expected 11/14. But everything I read here seems to scream out "DON"T DO IT!".......Bad paint, bad tranny, squeaks and rattles, bad Bose (at least this has a fix) etc. Is there anyone out there who has their car and doesn't have bad things to say. Maybe waiting for 2004 isn't such a bad idea after all.
Sounds to me like you are selectively reading posts about problems. I'm sure the vast majority of us owners love the car! It's just that people tend to be more vocal about negatives than positives.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:04 AM
BigBadBuford

Don't let these people discourage you from getting a Z. You only really hear from the people who have problems, and the majority of people love their cars. I've had mine for 1500 miles and I love it. I haven't had any problems, and my paint has almost no orange peel. I wouldn't think twice about getting a Z if you really want one, they are awesome cars!
Old 10-28-2002, 09:25 AM
BrainStorm

Go ahead and get it. Little quirks here and there are typical for first-year models, don't worry about it.

At any rate, Nissan will address the issues in due time. The pros outweigh the cons by a HUGE margin.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:58 AM
HouZton

I have 1,250 miles on my CS Touring Z. The only issue I have is with the BOSE, and the fix for that is around the corner. I don't have any tranny problems, no shifting problems, no visor rattles, no problem with the cup holder, no problem with the NAV cover, and no seatbelt rattles.

Does my paint chip? Yes it has one chip, and it happened on the highway at about 80MPH. I was passing an 18-wheeler with a tractor on the back. It seems like a small pebble shook loose from the tractor/trailer and hit the front of the car. If I was that worried about chips I would get a clear bra.

IMO, I think you should get the car. Nissan offers a 3 yr./36K mile bumper to bumper warranty. Any minor issue you MIGHT have will be covered.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:02 PM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't feel it right - dont buy it. leave it to somebody else. Make somebody else happy. It'll probably counts towarg good things you did in your life (or the only one?

Exactly how many cases of problems you've heard for 3000 to 6000 cars out there? 10? 20?
Old 10-28-2002, 12:17 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Except for the Bose problem all the rest of the problems I've seen are very minor problems indeed. The Bose problem seems to be the only universal problem out there. The tranny issues seem to be very infrequent and could happen to any new car.

The sun visor rattle seems simple to cure and the weak cupholder seems to have a few complaints but nothing 'unverisal' to worry about.

My best advice is to wait till your car comes in and test drive it. I'm sure the power, handling, and style will quickly curb any minor problem that might occure. It also appears that Nissan dealers are dealing with the problems in above average ways.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:25 PM
VandyZ

Very low VIN number (100's) and no problems. I dive it like it is a Z car, if there was a problem I yo I'll . . . (oh wait bad flashback) As I was saying I would have a problem if there was one to be had.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:47 PM
Phydoux
Charter Member #48

I took delivery of my 6-speed Touring Z on 10/3. Bose notwithstanding, I LOVE THIS CAR. A flat out recommendation, you will enjoy it. You can PM me if you have any questions.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:56 PM
DIGItonium

To be honest, orange peel doesn't bother me at all.
Not until today, I realize the paint is thinner than paper and friggin door edge chipped.

Seatbelt rattling is starting to bother me... then i realize how much plastic was in this car. Looks good, but I'm noticing scratches everywhere. I hope there's a company that will do custom interior with soft surface material. I don't care about weight... as long as the interior quality is dramatically improved, I'll be happy.

For the price of this car... I understand the engine, body style and panels, lights, seats, and pretty much the basic foundation of the car is well worth it.

Now time to put in some money and further "improve" this car.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:36 PM
PistolPete

Don't let a couple of whiners steer you away, it's a great car.

You won't find a better sports car for the money. Every car has it's quirks, the Z happens to have average quality paint and a cheap radio. I have 0 complaints with mine.

Some people just like to *****.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:58 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first year problems? hmmm so far I have had no problems which id expect nissan to adress(except bose, which they are) as for rattles, this car is the quietest car Ive owned. its not like you cant hear yourself think, things rattle, on mine its the drivers handle when the sub is BLASTING. Im ok with that, cause I cant hear it since the musics up. and paint, well BMW, Mercedes, and Pontiac(own one of each) havent mastered the paint yet either, so Im ok with nissan not being perfect. find me a car with no orange peel, and Ill be satisfied, but I havent found one yet.

other than that, there are no problems, the car is perfect, and if theres any doubt, sit at a light and watch the peoples faces as they drive by, its hilarious, then park the car and look at the 6year olds eyes as he walks past and says "mommy look at those headlights!" if that doesnt remind you that you are driving your dream car, you need a reality check.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:49 PM
Want-a-Z

Keep in mind that people who have problems with the car
are likely to let us all know about it, but there isn't a whole lot
of motivation to start a thread like: "My car doesn't have any
problems..."

Remember that 72% of all statistics are made up.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:23 PM
raceboy
Banned

I had a problem and Nissan took care of it (replaced tranny if you don't know). No more problems and the cars is perfect; bad *** in fact. 100% recommendation for this car!!
Old 10-28-2002, 07:51 PM
alphaz

I have severe orange peel and white specks under my clear coat, even the dealer says there is a paint problem. Would I buy another ? Damn straight, without a second thought. It might not be Super Black thought. LOL
Even though there have been some minor and very few major problems , I believe Nissan will stand behind their product.
Nissan reviews this forumn regularly. This is one way for them to find out in a hurry what is going on the the Z in real life situations.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:36 PM
vinz

u mean the 2004 zs are coming out next year ? im having a z but the latest is probably next year feb, and $30 000 the most. what do u guys and girls recommend ?
Old 10-29-2002, 03:50 AM
Fox

Thanks a lot guys for setting the record straight. For those of us who are waiting for our cars, there is nothing worse then hearing a few people post thread after thread about their problems. Not that I would discourage posts regarding problems, but it does make those waiting for their babies nervous. Thanks again
Old 10-29-2002, 04:15 AM
VaGentleman

I think that it's just human nature to make a big deal about a flaw here and there with such a great car. I've had my car for a month and absolutely believe it's a winner!!

Now, if everyone here who has their car reported on everytime they drove the car and were satisfied...there would be a major bandwidth problem. Probably a lot of posts like:

"Drove the car to work again, yep, it's still runs great! Heard a new note to the exhaust at 3562 rpm...schweet!. Took that 90 degree turn today at 45 mph...tomorrow going to try for 50 mph...will keep y'all informed....blah blah blah"

Quick Reply: Need some "luv".....Does anybody like this car?