Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dip Stick

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 11:14 AM
dc350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Dip Stick

Does anyone else this piece is the worst designed and least user friendly dip stick in the world? I think it gets the prize.

I think it's a joke, so flimsy and sectioned in a bazilion places, what were they thinking?
By the time you insert it back in and pull it out for a level check, the grooves/bends have collected oil in the wrong places.

I find it very difficult to use, kind of embarrased to know that's what we have to work with.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-29-2002, 11:18 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

It is currently one of the only pieces I have left from my car so it is A.O.K. to me.....
Old 10-29-2002, 11:51 AM
PistolPete

I actually thought it was easy to use. Nissan kindly provided a funnel around the opening to make insertion easier.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:12 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

I said the same thing the first time I pulled it to check the level. It's angled terribly, and the little twist at the end is a pain to get out of the tube.

Not the end of the earth, but I think they could have used the conventional cable/weighted end design and been just fine.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:19 PM
brackethead

Yeah, I agree. By the time I pull the thing out, it's twanged so much and rubbed parts on the way out that I'm not confident the level can be read accurately!

Is there a trick to this that I'm not getting?
Old 10-29-2002, 12:58 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Dip Stick

Originally posted by dc350z
Does anyone else this piece is the worst designed and least user friendly dip stick in the world? I think it gets the prize.

I think it's a joke, so flimsy and sectioned in a bazilion places, what were they thinking?
By the time you insert it back in and pull it out for a level check, the grooves/bends have collected oil in the wrong places.

I find it very difficult to use, kind of embarrased to know that's what we have to work with.

Any thoughts?
It is kind of weird, and placed too far down for my aging eyes to see very well. Are you waiting 10 minutes after the car has been sitting before you check the oil? If you're not waiting the 10 minutes, the readings may be wrong and the dipstick covered in oil in unlikely places. Wait 10 minutes after the car has been shut off or you may get an incorrect reading. Its noted in the owner's manual.

That is very inconvenient, I like to check the oil when I fill up with gas. I would have to pull over and sit for the required 10 minutes so others can get to the pumps. I'll be checking my oil before I leave home now and have to remember when I'm on trips to sit 10 before checking. The V6 must have a very convoluted oiling system to take that long to drain into the pan.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:03 PM
sage

Originally posted by LeMans350z
It is currently one of the only pieces I have left from my car so it is A.O.K. to me.....
LOL.

Glad to see that you still have your sense of humour. Perspective, a very healthy thing.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:12 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

STORY TIME!!!

a few months ago some work contacts in the deckard plant got to see a Z when some japanese engineers came into the area. well they were in the room with the Z and the engineers left for a moment, so they started playing.

popped the hood and futzed around, and pulled the dipstick, well isnt that cool... as they went to put it back they heard the engineers coming back and couldnt get the stick in. they just set it on the engine and quick closed the hood, pretending like nothing happened.

it was at this time that the engineers said they would take it for a spin. well needlessy to say they had to confess. they were caught like little kids with their hands in the cookie jar.