Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Car cover for parking outside in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 09:31 AM
OrangeZYa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cover for parking outside in winter?

I used the search function but really couldn't find a definitive answer on this question from anyone who had done it, since most people have garages.

I'm looking into getting a winter car cover because I'll have to park outside this winter (and this winter only). Basically I'm trying to figure out if it would be helpful or harmful to have one on when/if it snows or during icestorms. My biggest concern is the possibility that it would freeze to my car, but I'm not sure if this happens or not. My area is also pretty windy at times so I need to make sure I get one that fits tight.

I'm considering the "stormweave" cover from calcarcover.com. After finding that my Z was assaulted by @#$#@ birds last night, I figure it's either the cover or a firearm.

Did anyone use a cover last winter on their Z? If so, did you get good results?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-09-2004, 11:26 AM
roydiculous

I'd do a cover but I'm right in the middle of a city. Having a car cover is an excuse for people to f45k with your car.

I hate people sometimes- get a life and stop making other people's lives miserable!

If you drive your car everyday you're going to find a car cover decidedly inconvenience and a PITA. It's going to be gross and you are going to hafta put it somewhere...
Old 11-09-2004, 03:08 PM
OrangeZYa

Thanks roy.

I'm hoping a covered car won't attract any more azzholes than a bright yellow one does but I'm not holding my breath these days.

Anybody have any insight on the possible problem of a cover freezing to the car? Is this even possible if the cover is applied to a dry car?

I'm only planning on driving it on the nice(er) days this winter, so it will be covered most of the time.

Thanks again
Old 11-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best car cover for out side IMHO is the OEM nissan cover...

The next would be the stillen but when it gets wet the material kind of absorbs some water..

oem cover
http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=220

stillen cover
http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=398
Old 11-09-2004, 04:50 PM
havabooz

the material you want is called Superweave (thats what california car cover company calls it) (calcarcover.com)

supposedly superweave is the same thing as Weathershield (a fabric other companies use)

i have it...havnt put it to the test but its the "best money can buy"

its thin which makes you think its horrible for outdoors but supposedly its THE COVER for outdoors...guranteed not to freeze on the car because water wont get in..but you obviously cant cover an already wet car

cover was a pretty penny ...i think you can find it from 329 and up
Old 11-09-2004, 07:30 PM
ohw

I have used car covers to park outside for the winter before, never had a problem with cover sticking to car. It is better than no cover at all. Wind is a problem, you don't want the cover to flap around. Take your time when you park and put the cover on. I used extra small ropes to tie down the cover. If you tie down front, back, in front of the back tire, and behind the front tire, the cover should stay put. Very Important - wash the car clean and let it dry before putting the cover on. Also brush the snow off the cover so they don't turn into lots of water on top.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:03 PM
time4aspliff

I've got the OEM cover and it works well but but it's sensitive to things like laundry soap. Make sure 100% of the soap is rinsed off before you dry it. (I put my cover through 2 rinse cycles) Otherwise, water manages to penetrate the material. Also, never use any bleach.

California Car Cover Company makes great covers but I've got a feeling that the aforementioned super or supremeweave is made of a material that's very similar to the OEM cover. I believe they're both made using the Nextec encapsulation process. Some companies call it Weathershield but it's all the same as far as I can tell.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:25 PM
mrZeee

OEM...worked great last winter...I use it year 'round..when I see how durty it gets...I thank gawd that all that crud on my cover didn't get on or into (like leaves and pine needles) my car...use a dab of liquid soap in wash...quick dry(low heat) fresh and new again
Old 11-10-2004, 06:15 AM
RJW0501

orange--you have PM
Old 11-10-2004, 02:04 PM
OrangeZYa

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the insight.

I think I'll go with a cover this winter.