Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z vs M3 spent a day with M3

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 06:50 PM
kmurph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by qirex
yeah, it was really *raspy* and it was a convert - so yeah the car c reaked and moaned like a $5 hooker.

For sure the car is fast...if revved high and hard. I kept forgetting to engage the sport mode and d/c tcs. Once i did that (inc throttle resp) the car was way fast - but still lacking the Z's low end grunt.

IMO the only reason i'd buy an m3 is just for the snob factor. Its nowhere nearly as direct as the Z, it feels like a bi car (it is!).

Lucky for me i'm lookiing for a 97 nsx or 05 997.

an m3 is a great car, i just dont like it
The M3 cab weighs around 400 lbs more than the coupe...quite a difference. ...but it still manages to get to 60 in the low 5s and the quarter in the 13s. Drive a coupe...it will feel noticeably faster and more nimble.

Originally posted by qirex
The recall was primarily for 2001 E46 due to the software problem...typical first year production bug...all of the 01 M3 has 6 year 100k powertrain warranty because of it.

E46 is definately superior in performance all around..no doubt. However the reliability issue still remains....you think tire feathering on Z is a *****? just visit any BMW service department...I should know...I work for BMW.
You work for BMW???? You're right...you should know. The mentioned engine recall issue has to do with the connecting rod bearings...not software....and the extended 6yr/100K mile engine warranty affects only parts that are lubricated by oil.

The first recall affected build dates 10/01/2001 - 2/28/2002 which were 2002 cars....

SI B 11 02 03

More recently, a second bearings recall affects a wider range of build dates...02/12/2001 - 05/22/2003.

SI B 11 04 04

With regards to reliablity...I have 54K miles on my 2001 M3 and have had very few problems...and the Service Department at my dealer is great...very easy to work with.

Last edited by kmurph; 11-12-2004 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Jsn350Z

"an m3 is a great car, i just dont like it"

I agree.. Mostly the attitude of a lot of the people who drive them. Most of the time they are the most snobby bunch of people I have ever met. I know there are going to be some awesome M3 owners out there, but that is just the general attitude I run across when dealing with this car. It's to bad people like this have to ruin it for a whole group of owners.

About a month or so ago, I was in my friends Z06 waiting at a stop light. A brand new M3 comes up behind us, and we turn right onto the next street. We kind of play with each other until he signals us to pull over down the road a bit. When we get behind him we notice a Dinan badge on the rear, some nice wheels, and a BBK.

( about 1am or so )

"you wanna run em?" In some over confident I'm better then you voice.

My friend asks what it took to get that Dinan badge, knowing you need 10 points to get one. And again, in the MOST snobby voice EVER... " 17 thousand dollars "

He asks what is done to the vette and my friend replies just some exhaust and some tuning which is true.

Sooooo while driving to the freeway and laughing at how snobby the guy is, we get next to each other first gear in both cars, 10 or 15 mph. On three honks, as expected we walked on him, but it was absolutly rediculous, by about 125 mph we had 3+ bus lengths if not more!

Soooo we pull over again. " There is NO WAY that motor is stock!! " We explaine its just Corsa Ti exhaust, long tube headers, intake, and some ECU tuning. The vette dynoed at 380+ rwho btw. Again, in a snobby voice, " just so you know... this car is 361 hp "

After that we are on our way. I go to dinans site and it turns out its Dinans stage 2 package. about 10k of that is in motor work, the rest is wheels/suspension, ect.

Sooo, you go form 333 hp to 361 crank hp for 10k in motor work?OUCH!

Anyways, that is how most M3 owners I run into act and I just use that story as an example. IMO a big part about ownership of a certain car is the type of people who own them. I for one like the 350Z crowd better then any other car group I have been a part of and is a big plus to me.

Now the M3 is a great car, I like it a lot, and give it credit for what it is. However, IMO, there are better ways to spend that much money.

About the sound, I also agree with some people here, don't like it.

"I cant understand how one person can enjoy a 350z over a m3... regradless of price, If you have driven both you will pick the m3 HANDS DOWN... YOu need a shrink if you choose other wise!!"

Ill take a 350Z + built motor + aps TT over an E46 M3 ANNNNY DAY! Guess I need a shrink. Stock for stock, price not beign an issue, of course I'd take the M3.

Last edited by Jsn350Z; 11-12-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:57 PM
kmurph

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
"an m3 is a great car, i just dont like it"

I agree.. Mostly the attitude of a lot of the people who drive them. Most of the time they are the most snobby bunch of people I have ever met. I know there are going to be some awesome M3 owners out there, but that is just the general attitude I run across when dealing with this car. It's to bad people like this have to ruin it for a whole group of owners.

About a month or so ago, I was in my friends Z06 waiting at a stop light. A brand new M3 comes up behind us, and we turn right onto the next street. We kind of play with each other until he signals us to pull over down the road a bit. When we get behind him we notice a Dinan badge on the rear, some nice wheels, and a BBK.

( about 1am or so )

"you wanna run em?" In some over confident I'm better then you voice.

My friend asks what it took to get that Dinan badge, knowing you need 10 points to get one. And again, in the MOST snobby voice EVER... " 17 thousand dollars "

He asks what is done to the vette and my friend replies just some exhaust and some tuning which is true.

Sooooo while driving to the freeway and laughing at how snobby the guy is, we get next to each other first gear in both cars, 10 or 15 mph. On three honks, as expected we walked on him, but it was absolutly rediculous, by about 125 mph we had 3+ bus lengths if not more!

Soooo we pull over again. " There is NO WAY that motor is stock!! " We explaine its just Corsa Ti exhaust, long tube headers, intake, and some ECU tuning. The vette dynoed at 380+ rwho btw. Again, in a snobby voice, " just so you know... this car is 361 hp "

After that we are on our way. I go to dinans site and it turns out its Dinans stage 2 package. about 10k of that is in motor work, the rest is wheels/suspension, ect.

Sooo, you go form 333 hp to 361 crank hp for 10k in motor work?OUCH!

Anyways, that is how most M3 owners I run into act and I just use that story as an example. IMO a big part about ownership of a certain car is the type of people who own them. I for one like the 350Z crowd better then any other car group I have been a part of and is a big plus to me.

Now the M3 is a great car, I like it a lot, and give it credit for what it is. However, IMO, there are better ways to spend that much money.

About the sound, I also agree with some people here, don't like it.

"I cant understand how one person can enjoy a 350z over a m3... regradless of price, If you have driven both you will pick the m3 HANDS DOWN... YOu need a shrink if you choose other wise!!"

Ill take a 350Z + built motor + aps TT over an E46 M3 ANNNNY DAY! Guess I need a shrink. Stock for stock, price not beign an issue, of course I'd take the M3.

Yeah...you run into those type of M3 owners every now and then...it definitely doesn't look good...obviously, the guy in the M3 you ran against had no clue...the Z06 is a monster. Fortunately, the M3 owners I hang out with appreciate performance cars in general...doesn't matter what they are. Dinan is a waste of money IMO...true e46 M3 enthusiasts will tell you that. You can get more for a lot less with mods from other tuners

As I said before, the M3 engine is pretty much maxed out and it's too damn expensive to get much more....but you have to be impressed with how much HP BMW squeezed out of 3.2L with no forced induction.

The 350 is definitely a great car for the money...if it were out when I bought my M3 almost 3 years ago, I definitely would of considered it along with the G35 since I prefer to have a back seat...
Old 11-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Jsn350Z

"but you have to be impressed with how much HP BMW squeezed out of 3.2L with no forced induction. "

Oh yeah, like I said I give the car credit for what it is. 333HP out of a 3.2L inline 6 is awesome. The car is quick, it handles, and it does so in a daily drivin lux/sport machine. Just not my cup of tea I suppose.