Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why are people selling there Z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 10:31 AM
amallari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are people selling there Z?

Why are you selling your Z? Trade, Payments, Mechanical issues or other?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:15 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost every person I've seen trade or sell their Z has done so for one of the following reasons:

1. They needed a different car with more room and practicality.

2. They needed to get out from under the payments.

3. They were tired of dealing with a constant barrage of problems. (note that not all cars exhibit these problems. Almost 10 months and 4200 miles later, my car is problem free. I probably won't sell my car until it falls off its tires)

4. They are trading up to a different sports car.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:45 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

What is interesting to me is how many people that got FI on their Z's sold them within a year after that. I am wondering:

1. Are you just the type of person that switches cars every 1-2 years no matter what and spending over 5K on FI kit does not matter?

2. Are you disappointed in the performance or durability of the car or FI kit?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:51 AM
amallari

Yeah that is what I mean, some people after a year or so just trade in their Z. I'm guilty of it but I traded mine for a roadster.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:53 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by zland
What is interesting to me is how many people that got FI on their Z's sold them within a year after that. I am wondering:

1. Are you just the type of person that switches cars every 1-2 years no matter what and spending over 5K on FI kit does not matter?

2. Are you disappointed in the performance or durability of the car or FI kit?
Yeah, that is very interesting. Even though you do "get used to the speed", it's hard to imagine selling an F/I Z for anything faster that costs anyhwere in the $40K range. With rare exception, I haven't seen many people saying "just sold my Z for this (Insert faster car here)". So why after an investment in FI (that certainly didn't bring a matching return during sale), would you get rid of your Z?

I have a hard time believing durability is the issue because typically, durability doesn't become an issue until something breaks, then it gets very hard to sell the car.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:12 PM
AV630

The car is too damn problematic. Im selling mine coming up shortly... i love the car and the attention i get with it.. but it goes to the dealer every 2 weeks for something.. granted i actually DRIVE the car it should stil hold up and i have 20k miles on it and have had so many problems... thats not what i expected.

also im probably trading it in for a STi.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:43 PM
BigMoeTaki42

Well, I'm not selling my Z, but I bought mine used and the salesmen told me the guy traded it in for a Crossfire. And that makes me cry, cause I hate those cars.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:50 PM
kcobean

Originally posted by AV630
The car is too damn problematic. Im selling mine coming up shortly... i love the car and the attention i get with it.. but it goes to the dealer every 2 weeks for something.. granted i actually DRIVE the car it should stil hold up and i have 20k miles on it and have had so many problems... thats not what i expected.

also im probably trading it in for a STi.
While I certainly respect the STi's capabilities, as a 32 year old man, I would have trouble driving one. They just carry this "18 year old driver" stigma with them (at least in my mind). I'd love to have one as a track car, but I don't think I'd want one as a street car.

Sorry to hear you've had so many problems with your car. I've not had any with mine, but I do only have 4K miles in the last 9 months. We'll see what the next year brings I guess....
Old 11-10-2004, 01:06 PM
FB-350

i sold mine this past may - had it since september of '03...
i sold it for a few different reasons, the biggest being that the car got hit (minor) and the repair sucked big time... after fighting with the shop for a week, they 'fixed' it again, and it was better, but not perfect... after that incident, i just could not stand paying for a car that in my mind was not to my liking, so i got rid of it...
the minor issues that drove my decision were mostly along the lines of the practicality of it, as it was my daily driver...
i ended up with an '04 M3, which I am very happy with...
If i had to do it again, I would love to have a Z, but as a second, 'weekend' hobby car or something...
i still think they are great cars though....
Old 11-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by FB-350
i sold it for a few different reasons, the biggest being that the car got hit (minor) and the repair sucked big time... after fighting with the shop for a week, they 'fixed' it again, and it was better, but not perfect... after that incident, i just could not stand paying for a car that in my mind was not to my liking, so i got rid of it...
the minor issues that drove my decision were mostly along the lines of the practicality of it, as it was my daily driver...
If i had to do it again, I would love to have a Z, but as a second, 'weekend' hobby car or something...
M3 is a sweet car. Luxury and performance combined. Wish the Z had more Luxury.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:41 PM
bobS

Hah i feel to old to drive the sti also and i'm only 23! The sti and evo look to boy-racer-fast and furious to me. I bought my z with 10k miles on it and currently have 22k with zero problems besides the window grease.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:55 PM
FuzzyThread

Default Re: Why are people selling there Z?

Originally posted by amallari
Why are you selling your Z? Trade, Payments, Mechanical issues or other?
I absolutely love the styling of the Z. Unfortunately, in only 5000miles I have had to replace my transmission and radio. I also replaced my brake pads, I didn't have to, but the dust was unacceptable.

Folks praise Nissan and Japanese cars as superior to American, but my experience is otherwise.

The interior of the 350Z is so cheap it squeeks.

The rods and pistons are so week that any Turbo or Blower can very easily blow the engine or significantly reduce engine life.

I'd love to install the APS TT to my car, but after visiting my local Chevy dealer and seeing the new Corvette (in blue), I knew that the Z is (don't flame me please) just a sporty woman's car. I do enjoy driving it though.

Some call it a BEAST, I laugh, it ain't no beast.....just a quick woman's car.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Chicken

Originally posted by FuzzyThread

I knew that the Z is (don't flame me please) just a sporty woman's car. I do enjoy driving it though.

Gee, who would flame such an idiot?

:: looks around and whistles ::

Troll, troll, troll your boat...
Old 11-10-2004, 06:14 PM
FayZ

Well I think Japanese cars is superior to Amerrican cars, look at this people are comparing a 30,000 dollar car vs a 45,000 dollar car. The vq35 engine can last 200,000 miles compare to Ford or Chevys you will be happy if the engine last over 100,000 miles. As of mechanical problems all makers has it just go read other forums. Sorry guys and girls for getting off the subject.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:13 PM
DragonGcoupe

I find that track versions are the hardest to locate used. I could not find a fully loaded black track 04 or 04.5...
Old 11-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Skrill

Originally posted by FB-350
Funny -- we went exactly the opposite direction.

I sold my 2004 M3 (Silver Grey/Imola Red Interior - SMG, Nav, etc.) because I decided I really needed two cars. A daily driver -- and a weekend/track/project car.

I bought the Z 6 weeks ago and am very happy with it. It makes its track debut this weekend.

Today I put an order in for a 2005 Xterra Offroad 4x4 which will be my daily driver, commute, road trip car (I go to the mountains for boarding and stuff).

Total cost on the two cars is about what the M3 cost.

Last edited by Skrill; 11-10-2004 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:01 PM
orhanz33

the only reason i decided to sell mine is because i was thinking about getting a PPW paintjob... the paintjob would cost just as much as selling and buying a new Z... so i'm selling... i am looking into g35coupes, because the back seat can be useful at times, but after driving my friends g35coupe for about an hour the other day, i was soo glad to be back in my Z i love driving the Z!!! the coupe was similar to the Z, and more comfortable/practical, but the Z feels totally different, from the moment you sit in it!

...IF someone ever buys my Z, i want to order the same exact car in PPW!
Old 11-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Wicked4u2c

Default Re: Re: Why are people selling there Z?

Originally posted by FuzzyThread
I absolutely love the styling of the Z. Unfortunately, in only 5000miles I have had to replace my transmission and radio. I also replaced my brake pads, I didn't have to, but the dust was unacceptable.

Folks praise Nissan and Japanese cars as superior to American, but my experience is otherwise.

The interior of the 350Z is so cheap it squeeks.

The rods and pistons are so week that any Turbo or Blower can very easily blow the engine or significantly reduce engine life.

I'd love to install the APS TT to my car, but after visiting my local Chevy dealer and seeing the new Corvette (in blue), I knew that the Z is (don't flame me please) just a sporty woman's car. I do enjoy driving it though.

Its nice to see that your comparing apples to oranges??

Look at the displacement on that Corvette? Give any Japanese or European such a displacement and they would make more power!! Its sad that the Corvette, VIPER, etc... are so big in engine size and displacement and only produce such weak numbers? Id take a fully built twin turbo 350z over a Corvette any day.

Enthusiast 350z $29,000
Fully Built Engine $5,000
Twin Turbo With all accessories (BOV, GAUGES, TIMERS, BOOST CONTOLLERS, ETC) $10,000
Wheels and Tires 19" $2,500
Body Kit with Paint $1,000

Total $47,500

Their is your CORVETTE PRICE, now lets see who the ***** IS!!

Z YOU LATER BEYOOTCH!
Old 11-11-2004, 05:43 AM
desiguy

Newbie here....

Purchased my Z about 2 weeks ago and I hear this damn rattling noise when i shift to 2nd and 3rd gear. what could this be? i hear it more when im driving between 10-20 mph and it sounds like something is dragging on the floor..
Old 11-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After modding and driving my Z....anything else will feel slow. Unless I win the lotery and step up to an Enzo, or Lambo....nothing will get me excited..

911 Turbo..>Viper.....snoozers.

Quick Reply: Why are people selling there Z?