Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Road and Track next gen Z article

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Darthvol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Let me see???How many people in this thread want teh Z to lose weight from the factory vs your cheap azzj/k ???hmmmmm
You will be spending more money than if it was done by the Factory....Factory will always be cheaper than if you decided to do it yourself...
Answer: Not nearly enough potential buyers for Nissan to build a lighter car. It's "platformed" on the FX35/45/Murano/Altima/Maxima for a reason: $$$$$$$$$$$. Of course, factory installed anything is cheaper than aftermarket, but again, I bet that there aren't enough buyers who are that concerned w/200 lbs. that Nissan can justify building what you want.

Most buyers, me included, would rather have more factory power, but unless you want a hard-core track car/weekend toy only a la Lotus Elise (heck, some of you guys wouldn't be happy w/it and would want the race-ready Exige), you probably aren't willing to make the compromises that go along with weight loss. In other words, from a "comfort" perspective, while I can appreciate the concept of power-to-weight ratio, I'd rather increase it by just leaving weight alone and increasing power.

Bottom line is in this price range car, you're probably stuck w/the aftermarket for substantial weight savings whether you like it or not, at least as far as the next-gen Z is concerned.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:23 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems to me that the consensus from everone that has any industry experience and most all magazines point to a re-design for 2008 instead of a minor change like the '07 model. So that really only leaves to question.. What will we be getting?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Darthvol

There's still another relevant question: Exactly WHEN will this "2008 Z" actually be available? Late '07 or early '08 as an '08 MODEL; or sometime later in CALENDAR YEAR '08 as either a very late '08 or '09 model? No one knows for sure.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:46 PM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by Darthvol
Answer: Not nearly enough potential buyers for Nissan to build a lighter car. It's "platformed" on the FX35/45/Murano/Altima/Maxima for a reason: $$$$$$$$$$$. Of course, factory installed anything is cheaper than aftermarket, but again, I bet that there aren't enough buyers who are that concerned w/200 lbs. that Nissan can justify building what you want.

Most buyers, me included, would rather have more factory power, but unless you want a hard-core track car/weekend toy only a la Lotus Elise (heck, some of you guys wouldn't be happy w/it and would want the race-ready Exige), you probably aren't willing to make the compromises that go along with weight loss. In other words, from a "comfort" perspective, while I can appreciate the concept of power-to-weight ratio, I'd rather increase it by just leaving weight alone and increasing power.

Bottom line is in this price range car, you're probably stuck w/the aftermarket for substantial weight savings whether you like it or not, at least as far as the next-gen Z is concerned.

Everything you wrote sounds nice and I would normally agree But there is one small problem with your thesis.....Nissan showed that they are capable of give us just such a car on the FM platform with the Nismo Z It is aimed at the more hard core track rats. It has the stiffening and suspension exhaust etc that we are all looking for from the factory at a steal at 37k just wish it was a bit more hardcore...

Im pretty sure Nissan could have given a much more focused Z were it not for the 08 Z being right around the corner...I think the Nismo Z is great regardless...Anything that can beat a Cayman S by more than 1 sec for tens of thousands less is a winner in my book.......

But I just can help wishfull thinking that with the money saved from deleting the luxuries it would more than pay for the hardcore performance parts we want like the lightweight exhaust/headers/wheels/seats/ etc....
Old 06-12-2007, 05:11 PM
drivenCSZ

n/m

Last edited by drivenCSZ; 06-12-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Everything you wrote sounds nice and I would normally agree But there is one small problem with your thesis.....Nissan showed that they are capable of give us just such a car on the FM platform with the Nismo Z It is aimed at the more hard core track rats. It has the stiffening and suspension exhaust etc that we are all looking for from the factory at a steal at 37k just wish it was a bit more hardcore...

Im pretty sure Nissan could have given a much more focused Z were it not for the 08 Z being right around the corner...I think the Nismo Z is great regardless...Anything that can beat a Cayman S by more than 1 sec for tens of thousands less is a winner in my book.......

But I just can help wishfull thinking that with the money saved from deleting the luxuries it would more than pay for the hardcore performance parts we want like the lightweight exhaust/headers/wheels/seats/ etc....
I didn't forget about the Nismo Z, but after the jury comes back, I'm pretty sure it won't make much if any $$ for NNA, and might lose it. Further, here's what we DO know about it, as of now: 1. No engine mods or significant hp increase; and 2. The car is a late-in-the-model-cycle attempt to inject more interest in the "old," i.e., current Z versus all the people (me included) who are waiting on the next-gen.

Since you think it "is great," how much of a diet did they put it on versus base Z model poundage? And again, how many guys do you REALLY think are gonna buy the thing? A lot of folks think the butt is fugly, and the Cayman S from all reports has a decent ride quality, while the Nismo Z reviews say it rides as stiffly as a hay wagon.

The jury is still out, but I'd wager that there aren't gonna be that many takers for a hard-core car like that. CAN it be done? Sure, but SHOULD they have done it from a BUSINESS perspective? I doubt it. How many guys are there in the "I don't care that much about how it looks or rides or whether it has any amenities at all if can outrun that Porsche for a lot cheaper" camp? Most of those guys, I'm betting, who are in that category still can't afford the Nismo Z (I would've LOVED it when I was kid), and as for the ladies, do you reckon they'll sell ten nationwide to women who want them for themselves?
Old 06-14-2007, 06:08 AM
sq40

I disagree on the the Nismo Z being a slow seller. It is only $38K, only a $1900 Premium over an un-optioned GT Coupe. Just buying the Nismo Exhaust and a couple of items would exceed the cost of the Nismo Z, so really its a bargain in my opinion.

As compared to the Caymen. Yes, the Camen is a better (Or atleast nicer) car than the Z, but the base Caymen has a $14K Premium over the 350Z GT and whopping $23K Premium over the Base Z... The Caymen S adds another $10K on top of that..

The Z really is the "Poor Mans Porsche". And I like it just the way it is.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:09 AM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by Darthvol
Since you think it "is great," how much of a diet did they put it on versus base Z model poundage? And again, how many guys do you REALLY think are gonna buy the thing? A lot of folks think the butt is fugly, and the Cayman S from all reports has a decent ride quality, while the Nismo Z reviews say it rides as stiffly as a hay wagon.
I say its great because it was actually given the go ahead by Nissan bean counters and its got enough performance to eclipse the Cayman S. Is it the best they could have done???Not by a long shot...Teh could have lightened the Z by using lighter high quality parts and still sell it for the 38k they are going for......Its ugliness is not what we want but hey the effort was there and we actually have entry level sportscar with downforse
Old 06-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Kegsbane

Originally Posted by tomiegunzz
I dont think Nissan can top the design on this gen Z. The Z design right now is timeless just the the old gen G35.
I was waiting for someone to say this. I think I'll just keep buying Zs from this generation.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:53 AM
nicholasm617

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
Why? They can put the 3.7L in for probably $500. There's 330. Then if they can cut the weight down a few hundred pounds which isn't too difficult for a redesign. A stiffer suspension won't cost much more at all. That is very close in price.
of course they can do all that cheaply, but then the huge performance puts it in such a class of cars that they can ask for much more money and would be stupid not too.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:00 PM
sq40

Originally Posted by nicholasm617
of course they can do all that cheaply, but then the huge performance puts it in such a class of cars that they can ask for much more money and would be stupid not too.
Not really.. I mean the 287 Zs are only a couple of HP up for a Freekin Camry.. 250-300hp is becoming VERY common for many cars now.. To keep the "Fast, High HP, Sportscar" feel, they need the 330+hp .. Heck.. People will be able to pick up a Camero with a 350+hp LS2 in it for $27K within the next year. (I know, muscle versus sport car..) Hell, even the $25K base Mustang GT will get the 5.0 standard next year..

The industry is starting to put out CHEAP HP now..
Old 08-22-2007, 11:09 PM
black06z

"cheap" HP?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NNA had announced some weeks ago that the '08 Z will only have a new color; all else remains unchanged (wasn't there a thread here?). So why all this fuss?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Yup, according to this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203271

NO CHANGES FOR 2008
Old 08-30-2007, 12:38 PM
da45king

becareful of what you wish for.... your much disired 370z will end up chubby and not quite as pretty....like the G37.

I've been stuck for quite some time trying to figure out if it is better for me to FI my classic 04 G35 6mt...and keep it for 10 more years modding each year.

Or buy the new car and hope it grows on me or mod it cosmetically so it will look alittle better.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Fairly Z

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
Here's an old pic, I hope it doesn't look like this:

Looks like the result of rough sex between a 350Z and a Cayman S.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Divergent13

Originally Posted by Fairly Z

Looks like the result of rough sex between a 350Z and a Cayman S.
+1. What a disgusting piece of ****.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:36 PM
SniperHunter

Why did this crap get bumped?

ugh.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear it will look like Godzilla.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:56 PM
03redlineZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
Anyone who can't spell weight is a moron.

What's with the rediculous generalities? Everyone with a brain knows weight is an enemy of performance, and 3300lb-3500lb IS a heavy sports car.

You just called a guy out because he misspelled 'weight' and you just misspelled RIDICULOUS!!!

This thread is so amusing!! I love it...

Quick Reply: Road and Track next gen Z article