Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Next Gen Z insight from NNA

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:37 AM
skaterbasist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RBull
I agree with your second statement but not the first. I can't see another sports car in addition to the Z. The lighter car will be the Z. Engine size - who knows, but I don't think a turbo is in the cards.
Well, regarding engine size, why else would Nissan look anywhere else than to the new VQ37VHR? It wouldn't make any sense to me.

I just don't see Nissan sheding some pounds off the current Z; it will probably just make it too pricey for a Z.

Which is why this leads me to conclude that another lighter sports car is in the way into Nissan's lineup; perhaps a revivial of the Silvia?

As for Turbo's in the Z... definately not going to happen. That's why the GT-R is there.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:08 AM
RBull

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Well, regarding engine size, why else would Nissan look anywhere else than to the new VQ37VHR? It wouldn't make any sense to me.

I just don't see Nissan sheding some pounds off the current Z; it will probably just make it too pricey for a Z.

Which is why this leads me to conclude that another lighter sports car is in the way into Nissan's lineup; perhaps a revivial of the Silvia?

As for Turbo's in the Z... definately not going to happen. That's why the GT-R is there.

The 3.7 would be the obvious choice. However, if they want to expand the lineup of Infiniti and Nissan the more power plants the better. They may be looking for something else as a base for other vehicles and a differentiator between brands.

The car doesn't have to be much more expensive to be lighter and that isn't necessarily a bad thing if your Silvia idea were to happen. Suppliers have been asked to take up the diet challenge and the Z may also become smaller which is a near automatic weight loss. I wouldn't go out and say a turbo "definitely" isn't going happen but IMO it's very unlikely.

IMHO, it's way too early to "conclude" anything from the small bits of info or rumours we've heard. This is just all conjecture and speculation.

Last edited by RBull; 07-15-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:18 AM
RBlover69

why would nissan support 2 sports car at simliar base starting price points nearing the altima coupe even. Not good buisness.

the 3.7 is looking like the easy way out but i just dont see it being the way to take the Z in a more aggressive stance. And if the NNA rumors are real i dont think well see a heavier Z . Especailly when there benchmarking the new Z against the new cayman which would be retarted to think that it isnt gonna be lighter . Benchmarking a caymen u have to be lighter or supplied with a more power full motor hence 3.8

iwould be seriously disspaointed if the next Z is a 370z. better be a 380z .
Old 07-15-2007, 09:40 AM
frshcoupe

Im confused, the pictures that we have seen (spyshots) of the z thats suppose to come out is the ''370z''? The one that is basically unchanged from the exterior? But the z suppose to come out in 09 is the one thats going to have a body change?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:56 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by frshcoupe
Im confused, the pictures that we have seen (spyshots) of the z thats suppose to come out is the ''370z''? The one that is basically unchanged from the exterior? But the z suppose to come out in 09 is the one thats going to have a body change?
all specaultion right now so besides the bechmark and the photos nothing is certain not even the specs of the GTR is 100 percent
Old 07-15-2007, 11:27 AM
iamdigital

next z is a hybrid
Old 07-15-2007, 11:38 AM
RBlover69

priuZ
Old 07-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Rampant

Originally Posted by RBlover69
why would nissan support 2 sports car at simliar base starting price points nearing the altima coupe even. Not good buisness.
They might not be at similar price points. The lighter coupe/Silvia replacement might be in the Sentra range.

Silvia replacement - $18k - $22k (lightweight 4cyl./Scion competitor)
Altima Coupe - $20k - $25k (more luxury oriented/Accord Coupe competitor)
Z - $30k - $40k

I could see a lineup like that.

But, that means the Z should be a more focused sports car -- which hopefully (should) mean lighter weight. If they dropped the 3.7 in their, yet kept the weight down to 3200# or less, I would probably prefer that over the 3.8 with 3400# (current weight), even if the 3.8 had more power.

Power is easy to add in the aftermarket -- weight is not as easy to remove.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:54 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by RBull
IMHO, it's way too early to "conclude" anything from the small bits of info or rumours we've heard. This is just all conjecture and speculation.
1+ to that

I hardly ever like speculating... but I got a little excited on this one

Best thing we can do is just wait and try to be patient.

iwould be seriously disspaointed if the next Z is a 370z. better be a 380z .
Why? 0.1 displacement isn't going to do much.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:45 PM
RBlover69

1+ to that

Have u seen specs on the 3.8 its way beyond the 3.7s VVEL take a look at performance stats from Nismo and what how the engines tq manipulation is hella lower then the 3.7 Its more then a engine differece guy its a way more powerfull platfrom.
The engines not even carb legal its really not a comparision performance wise thats why the top of the line Z in japan is the nismo 3.8 RS. I looked at the spec sheet and was impressed by its range.

Last edited by RBlover69; 07-15-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:18 PM
RBull

1+ to that

No worries. The new Z sounds like it might be worth getting excited about. Yeah, I guess speculating is part of the fun while we wait.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:27 PM
NA350Z

yea no boost ...reason being i mean why would u wanna hinder GTR sales. I mean a boosted 3.7 would be awesome but in reality the 3.8 NA is more then a offer to keep the Z and GTR away from its cousins at infiniti.

Although I doubt it will be FI, I somewhat disagree on this statement only because if you remember Nissan had the Z32 available while the R32, R33 were available. Back then no one said why have the Z32, it'll cannibalize the GTR sales.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:42 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by NA350Z
Although I doubt it will be FI, I somewhat disagree on this statement only because if you remember Nissan had the Z32 available while the R32,R33 were available. Back then no one said why have the Z32, it'll cannibalize the GTR sales.
we had a way diff market then
Old 07-16-2007, 03:52 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we had a way diff market then
And Nissan was in dire financial trouble . . . .

Bottom line is, the Z has some catching up to do if it wants to compete in the sports car market. It cant survive on its good looks alone. If you remember in 02 when the Z returned it was pretty stout for its price. Stock for Stock there was not much that could touch it for the price or even more. Its not so much the case anymore.

Nissan has seen the trend, they know. You can see it on this board. The people that get rid of their Z’s for something different still love the Z. The simple fact is Nissan wants to revitalize the Z brand and keep it fresh and competitive. Honestly there are very few people who are going to be able to jump from a 350Z to the GT-R, most will jump back onto the Z bandwagon. I think Nissan has a great plans for its line and staying out of the trouble they had in the 90’s.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:02 AM
tekk

the Z is in a very good position in the market and has been highly successful. it doesn't need to go turbo or anything like that. as of now,which car costs less and is faster, either in a straight line or on the track? and as comfortable, practical, and reliable?

we've already seen a new Z with the new FM platform suspension setup and brakes. it probably has a VQ37VHR in it. if they can shed some weight that's really more than enough. if you look at the competition in the segment, they still need to catch up to the 07Z. this would propel the Z to another level.

everyone sees the crowded $50k segment and thinks the Z needs a high output motor or something, but that's simply not the case. the Z is designed to be a relatively affordable sports car... it'll stay under $30k. the GT-R is what Nissan will use to compete on the higher end.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:07 AM
Rampant

Originally Posted by tekk
the Z is in a very good position in the market and has been highly successful. it doesn't need to go turbo or anything like that. as of now,which car costs less and is faster, either in a straight line or on the track? and as comfortable, practical, and reliable?
While agree it doesn't have to go turbo, I think you are underestimating the imminent competition. Both the Camaro and Challenger are expected to come in with 430hp and in the mid-$30k price range. Sure they are different cars, but they also will be cross-shopped with the Z.

Heck, even BMW is coming out with the 1 series which will be cheaper and lighter than the 335, but with the same engine.

The Z is definitely not safe as-is, and Nissan should do some pretty good work to revitalize it to stay competitive. Not saying they have to go overboard, but they have to realize the competition is getting serious for the $30k-$40k performance-minded enthusiast, and they have to adapt.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:23 AM
Rampant

Originally Posted by NA350Z
Although I doubt it will be FI, I somewhat disagree on this statement only because if you remember Nissan had the Z32 available while the R32, R33 were available. Back then no one said why have the Z32, it'll cannibalize the GTR sales.
Besides the fact the GT-R's weren't available here, I am not sure if the pricing was that different. The Z32's were not cheap (something like $42k back in the mid-90s IIRC).

SCC has the base price of the GT-R (in Japan) at $32k.

Obviously the GT-R would have been more expensive if it came over here -- but probably not by much. Probably in line with the AWD upgrade.

Now, contrast that with todays $30-$40k Z and expected $60k or so GT-R, and the price disparity is significant. Therefore, the performance disparity between the two must be just as significant.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:44 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still in the camp that the next power plant will not be turbocharged. I also doubt it would be hybrid since Nissan is licensing hybrid tech from Toyota just to have an offering in the Altima lineup.

Someone speculated use of direct injection in another thread...that would certainly be considered a surprise by Nissan. It could add a few ponies and pretty sure it increases efficiency as well so might help with CARB.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:59 AM
RBlover69

But honeslty, if they wanted to set a standard to b uild upon wouldnt the 3.8 be the obvious choice. I will not buy a 370 Z not with the current G37s perfemance stats . Its great for the g37 but i exactly wasnt blown away with it imagined in a 350z because its not far off of what we have now in the HR3.5 series. I think things we dont need to worry about in the Z are brakes suspension chassis because i mean to tell u the truth besides weight i dont think it can get any better struture wise and performance wise. But weight is our only concern. With a lighter unibody maybey made of lighter materials or part of it made with lighter materials we could see drastic shift in performance in the Z mated witha 3.8 VQ . I saw performance values of the nismo RS and it compeltley stomps out the 3.5 HR in laps over szuba at best motoring. Currently right not the HRs and Revups VQs have been sharing a little to much for comfort with its fellow sports coupe brothers 350gt etc. They need to make a statement because previous Zs were not sharing powerplants directly with the skylines of the past they were modfied however little to conform to the diff platforms. But now in a market where we now see sports car evolve. The Z should benchmark the caymen and honeslty trump it . The GTR should benchmark the GTR and honeslty beat it. And that would be a great advertising campiagn saying listen were serious about performance and these options make the benchmarks not a issue no more. Honestly no other companie mazda ,toyota , ford , chevy, is benchmarking porshe for there 30k segmant . This should be a chance for them to get serious and step it up. They have the motor (3.8) they have the chassis and the tech to make it lighter and everything else. That they get from literally dominating JGTC. Lets put it to good use.
Originally Posted by VandyZ
And Nissan was in dire financial trouble . . . .

Bottom line is, the Z has some catching up to do if it wants to compete in the sports car market. It cant survive on its good looks alone. If you remember in 02 when the Z returned it was pretty stout for its price. Stock for Stock there was not much that could touch it for the price or even more. Its not so much the case anymore.

Nissan has seen the trend, they know. You can see it on this board. The people that get rid of their Z’s for something different still love the Z. The simple fact is Nissan wants to revitalize the Z brand and keep it fresh and competitive. Honestly there are very few people who are going to be able to jump from a 350Z to the GT-R, most will jump back onto the Z bandwagon. I think Nissan has a great plans for its line and staying out of the trouble they had in the 90’s.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:02 AM
RBlover69

i meant GTR should bench mark the 911 turbo and beat it

Quick Reply: Next Gen Z insight from NNA