Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Next Gen Z insight from NNA

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Rampant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RBlover69
But honeslty, if they wanted to set a standard to b uild upon wouldnt the 3.8 be the obvious choice. I will not buy a 370 Z not with the current G37s perfemance stats .
Much of the G's performance stats are because of its weight (~3700#). The dyno curves look pretty good. So, put that same engine in a car that weighs 400# less, and the performance stats change quite a bit.

It is a bit unfair to compare the street-legal, luxury oriented 3.7 to the race-prepped 3.8 in the Nismo RS.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:17 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't get why folks are making the 3.7l out to be low on power and they wouldn't buy a Z with it in there?

But then the 3.8l. Wow...huge difference and shock to the Z community. It makes 20hp more. In another two years, direct injection or some other GTR technology could filter down to the 3.7l and easily make up that deficit. What else is it about the 3.8l that has you all in froth? Wider powerband? Better internals?

Unless y'all are talking about the 400hp motor in the $216,300 380RS Competition. Now that would be a surprise.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
I don't get why folks are making the 3.7l out to be low on power and they wouldn't buy a Z with it in there?

But then the 3.8l. Wow...huge difference and shock to the Z community. It makes 20hp more. In another two years, direct injection or some other GTR technology could filter down to the 3.7l and easily make up that deficit. What else is it about the 3.8l that has you all in froth?
I didn't see anything that I would call a "froth" of excitement about the 3.8. Instead, we were (most of us, anyway) trying to figure what Nissan was gonna be able to SPIN as a "surprise" when the next-gen Z comes out. Remember, whether or not the changes are a REAL big deal or not, NNA has to convince the buying public they ARE, or they ain't gonna sell enough.

However, as VandyZ said above, they HAVE to do something with substance to capture those sales. As for me, I ain't gonna work myself up into a "froth" about anything short of a carbon-fiber hardtop 'vert. GT-R w/about 400 hp at the wheels, selling for about $50k. No chance, I know, but I don't see myself frothing for anything less amazing. If something like that were to happen, though, you could just call me "mad dog" [froth, froth, slobber, slobber].
Old 07-16-2007, 10:28 AM
inTgr8r

Originally Posted by Darthvol
I.......
However, as VandyZ said above, they HAVE to do something with substance to capture those sales. .........
^+1

re: capturing sales.....

I left my G35 for a Z4M,
Infiniti appeared to be headed more luxo & the 350Z was getting long in the tooth performance wise.

I'm having the time of my life in the Z4M,
but I'd be back to a Z34 in a heartbeat ....if:
They give us the ability to spec out a true sport machine as follows.

1. 3200 lb (ABSOLUTE MAX) - preferably less
2. ~350 NA power
3. killer looks
4. track worthy brakes & suspension.

Last edited by inTgr8r; 07-16-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:20 PM
RBull

Originally Posted by inTgr8r
^+1

I left my G35 for a Z4M,
Infiniti appeared to be headed more luxo & the 350Z was getting long in the tooth performance wise.

I'm having the time of my life in the Z4M,
but I'd be back to a Z34 in a heartbeat ....if:

2. ~350 NA power
3. killer looks

Sounds good to me. I also hope it comes sooner rather than later.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:16 PM
SnakeBitten

Only read the first page....My opinion is that the current 3.5 hr is sufficient as its already passed all the nessessary CAFE etc standards...Soooo the surprise probably is that the Z is now under 3000lbs...So 306hp in a 3000lb or less Z will equal much better performance at minimal cost to Nissan.......I know I know its not as sexy an opinion as them putting the 3.8l in a lighter Z but it would make beancounter sense....
Old 07-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by inTgr8r
^+1

I'd be back to a Z34 in a heartbeat ....if:

2. ~350 NA power
3. killer looks
I'll admit I'm a little bit weird as a demographic for a roadster, as a 40 yr. old with a bad back and arthritis in his knees who has to drive over 25K mi./yr., but still likes to go fast, I want my next car, ideally, to have the following:

1. Convertible or targa available;
2. Rides at least slightly more softly than current Z, w/o giving up any significant handling ability (can be done, as about all automotive press swears BMWs do);
3. Despite the added weight from the 'vert top, can still outrun at least most, if not all, non-exotic "true sports cars";
4. Gets better mileage than current Z and/or runs on 87 octane;
5. BIG brakes avail., at least as an option, from factory;
6. Roomier interior than current Z, with softer seats;
7. Under $60K;
8. Very reliable, w/o German marque labor rates for service, i.e., preferably Japanese.

I like my Z, but I already have 70k miles on my '04, and while I don't have to trade anytime soon, I'm looking with interest. The above car doesn't exist, and to tell the truth, the closest I can think of getting is a 'Vette which ain't reliable, but doesn't cost much to work on, gets great mileage and runs on 87 octane), or the new Lexus IS-F, which looks cool, but has 4 doors and ain't a 'vert.

I'm hoping the new Z 'vert. will tickle my fancy, but frankly, if it makes most of the audience on this forum happy, I probably won't buy it. I've never liked a car other than the 'vette which weighed less than 3300lb., including my wife's S2000 and my partner's Boxster S. I'm willing to admit that at my age, and at 6', 220, those cars just seem too confining, and the weight savings just make the whole car feel cheap to me, fast or not.

Shucks, at this rate, if nothing strikes my fancy for the right price, I may just drive my current Z into the ground and run up a couple hundred thou. miles on her.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:46 PM
inTgr8r

I'll admit I'm a little bit weird as a demographic for a roadster, as a 40 yr. old with a bad back and arthritis in his knees who has to drive over 25K mi./yr., but still likes to go fast, I want my next car, ideally, to have the following:
Shucks, at this rate, if nothing strikes my fancy for the right price, I may just drive my current Z into the ground and run up a couple hundred thou. miles on her.
LOL.... I've got you beat by a few years.
But, damn I DO love fast cars..... that'll never change.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:29 PM
alexfair

1. Convertible or targa available;
2. Rides at least slightly more softly than current Z, w/o giving up any significant handling ability (can be done, as about all automotive press swears BMWs do);
3. Despite the added weight from the 'vert top, can still outrun at least most, if not all, non-exotic "true sports cars";
4. Gets better mileage than current Z and/or runs on 87 octane;
5. BIG brakes avail., at least as an option, from factory;
6. Roomier interior than current Z, with softer seats;
7. Under $60K;

8. Very reliable, w/o German marque labor rates for service, i.e., preferably Japanese.

Above in red bold are things I don't really agree with and hope not to see in the future model.

Starting with point 2 from above: Ride stiffness is fine and is something you need to accept from a true sports car. Point 4 from above gas mileage isn't very bad at all its actually pretty good for a sports car of this weight, i'm sure if the weight goes down games mileage will be better. Point 6 from above, I think the next gen Z is going to be smaller, and i think this will help the cars agility and bring it closer to a Lotus Exige S feel. And the biggest problem i have is 7, I in no way want to spend more than $45k for a fully loaded coupe or in your case a vert at $47k max. Currently i think a maxed out top of the line Z costs about $41-42k for a coupe, this price increase i stated isn't too bad. $60k is crazy, and your talking about a different car segment.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM
RBlover69

RS Concept Special High Compression Cylinder Heads Spec. 4
RS Concept Special Camshafts
High Angle VTC Pulleys
Strengthen Head Gaskets
Titanium valve System
Strengthen Valve Springs
B. Cylinder Block

RS Concept Special Pistons
RS Concept Special Conrods
Strengthen Conrod Bolts
High Strength Crankshaft
Strengthen Oil Pump
RS Oil Pan Fluid Plate (Not too sure if that's correct)
C. Exhaust

RS Concept Special Exhaust Manifold

Please give me the 3.8 NISSAN LMAO
Old 07-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by alexfair
Above in red bold are things I don't really agree with and hope not to see in the future model. . . . your talking about a different car segment.
Couple things, alex: You'll recall that I started my post by acknowledging that I am indeed the odd man out, at least on this forum, as I wouldn't want to drive the Lotus for more than 30 min. at a time, and I have posted here that it seems to me the Exige is the perfect dream car for the "true sports car" set, as most folks here describe one, anyway. I think, however, that the Z has to appeal to a broader audience than the "true sports car" bunch, or it won't sell in large enough #s. This forum may be full of "hardcore enthusiasts," but most of the people who bought even the current gen. Z don't fall into that category.

I may indeed want a car in a different market segment, but I suppose I'd like a Z vert that came CLOSE for the above stated $47k. UNDER $60k, after all, doesn't have to mean $59,999.99. OTOH, my frustration is that there doesn't seem to be much available in the $45-55 range, and the next "step up" seems to be the 911 & M3 verts, which are waaay more expensive than even $60k.

Come to think of it, I could summarize what I'd like much more briefly: To be coddled in "non-true-sports-car, girly-man" comfort, while sometimes working out of my car, but still having a sufficient combination of power and handling to outrun the boy racers driving the category of sports cars including EVOs, STIs, and Mustang GTs. I would love to give them the humbling experience of being outrun by a middle-aged, bald, necktie-wearing, but fast, dork.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:04 AM
alexfair

hehe VW bettle vert comes to my mind.... i know what you mean we all have our own taste, i'm not bagging on yours just hoping my prays are answered over yours
Old 07-17-2007, 03:15 AM
inTgr8r

Originally Posted by alexfair
hehe VW bettle vert comes to my mind.... i know what you mean we all have our own taste, i'm not bagging on yours just hoping my prays are answered over yours
JM2C, They can both be the same car;
IF Nissan gives us the ability to order the car optioned the way we want.

Let the prospective buyer option the car up the ying yang with gadgets if he wants to.
But also give us the ability to spec a true sport machine.

For example ....don't force us into the top end Grand Touring with power seats etc... just to get Brembo brakes.
& give us some suspension options.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:05 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel where you're coming from inTgr8r, but the reality, at least here in America, is that people don't want to wait the 3 months it takes to order a car and take delivery. This is the instant gratification generation...if they can't get what they want now then they'll move on to the next dealership.

Hell, they did away with the track model, which filled that void you speak of nicely. Also, part of the component sharing between models is what keeps the Z affordable, something I wouldn't hope to compromise with multiple suspension options.

My hope is that with the GTR becoming the flagship Nissan Grand Touring car, the Z will become a more potent track weapon in base form with creature comforts being the optional add ons.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:35 AM
Rampant

I could summarize what I'd like much more briefly: To be coddled in "non-true-sports-car, girly-man" comfort, ... but still having a sufficient combination of power and handling to outrun the boy racers driving the category of sports cars
There seem to be several cars that fit that description: Vette, Z4-M, Boxster S, 335i convertible, GT500 for example. I just think you need to revisit your stereotypes that the Vette is unreliable (they have been much better in recent times) and BMW's are expensive to maintain initially (they come with 4 years free maintenance).

Not that people are against you, just that we hope Nissan doesn't think you are the target for the Z. There are alternatives for you out there. However, what many of us seem to be looking for -- under 3200#, RWD, 300+ hp with good torque, under $40k sports car -- there are no alternatives. The closest is an S2000 which has no torque (and I can't fit in), or the American muscle cars which are heavy and don't handle very well.

This market has been void for a long time, and that is why the Z was so popular, because it got really close to that mix (just heavy). That is also why we are excited for the next version as it should prove to be even better if Nissan stays focused on the sports car aspects of the car.

I just hope they make it more focused (lighter) and not do what they did with the G37 (heavier, softer lines, luxury over performance).
Old 07-17-2007, 06:37 AM
inTgr8r

I feel where you're coming from inTgr8r, but the reality, at least here in America, is that people don't want to wait the 3 months it takes to order a car and take delivery. This is the instant gratification generation...if they can't get what they want now then they'll move on to the next dealership.

Hell, they did away with the track model, which filled that void you speak of nicely. Also, part of the component sharing between models is what keeps the Z affordable, something I wouldn't hope to compromise with multiple suspension options.

My hope is that with the GTR becoming the flagship Nissan Grand Touring car, the Z will become a more potent track weapon in base form with creature comforts being the optional add ons.
You get my vote.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Rampant

I feel where you're coming from inTgr8r, but the reality, at least here in America, is that people don't want to wait the 3 months it takes to order a car and take delivery.
+1, but also there are manufacturing concerns to take into account. Building 4 different trim levels is no problem. Building special cars based upon a long list of options can be a logistical nightmare.

If I am not mistaken, even most of Scion's customization is done at the dealer level. This then looses the affordability of having it come the way you want it from the OEM, as you have the pay the dealer for the parts and the install.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:55 AM
Gooey

If you guys still want the Z to be under 30k then forget all your wants. The weight will be similar to the current Z. Its not as heavy as you think it is.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:25 AM
inTgr8r

Originally Posted by Gooey
If you guys still want the Z to be under 30k then forget all your wants. The weight will be similar to the current Z. Its not as heavy as you think it is.
IDK what you mean by that statement.
Weight is weight & if you've ever spent quality time in a car that's 3000 -3200lb, you'd understand.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:27 AM
inTgr8r

Originally Posted by Rampant
+1, but also there are manufacturing concerns to take into account. Building 4 different trim levels is no problem. Building special cars based upon a long list of options can be a logistical nightmare.

If I am not mistaken, even most of Scion's customization is done at the dealer level. This then looses the affordability of having it come the way you want it from the OEM, as you have the pay the dealer for the parts and the install.
It doesn't have to be an extensive shopping list.
Still keep the pkg options/models as per now.
- Like 350Zenophile says, just give us a good base model the way the old track model used to be.

Quick Reply: Next Gen Z insight from NNA