Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Next Gen Z insight from NNA

Old 07-13-2007, 04:09 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Next Gen Z insight from NNA

So we had product planners (G37, Z, and GT-R) from corporate come to our Middle Tennessee Z Club Meeting last night. They brought the 000 Pre-production Nismo Z, and 3 other HR Z's with some new nismo stuff on them.

I will tell you what, they are tight lipped but did dance around our questions by giving some interesting responses.

As far as the GT-R . . . well they still wont say when its gonna be here. Thats really the only question that got ask. Someone ask if it was safe to say it will be a year or so from now, and the guy only nodded (yes) and smiled. Pretty teasing if you ask me.

OK, the Z. Well the word they kept using to describe it was "surprise". When ask about the engine, everything we suggested was denied. I will tell you when we enquired about the 3.8L Stroked engine that had been rumored as the direction of the new Z, we got lots of emissions related denials. The 3.7L questions were always a simple "no, its going to be a surprise" or "pleasant surprise".

So what does this tell me with what i have discussed with other NNA contacts? I dont think they are 100% sure what going in it. I do get the feeling that the 3.7L is not the direction they are going. Like I said they gave us alot more discussion about the 3.8L and its testing. So we know they are working on something. One other tid bit . . . when talking about the emission problems one of them said its a problem on a larger scale because they have to maintain (as a company) a certain average emission across the "fleet". I dont know if this "fleet" is the Z model or the whole Nissan lineup. If it pertains just to the Z model, then that could mean they have been looking at allowing different engine options or packages. As cool as that may be, I think its a bad idea and would drive the cost up.

None of this info is official, just thought I would offer the summary of what was discussed last night.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:40 AM
inTgr8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other tid bit . . . when talking about the emission problems one of them said its a problem on a larger scale because they have to maintain (as a company) a certain average emission across the "fleet". I dont know if this "fleet" is the Z model or the whole Nissan lineup.
It's the whole lineup.
They can get away with a low volume car that's above average #s,
as long as it doesn't push the fleet avg over the threshold limit.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:55 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inTgr8r
It's the whole lineup.
They can get away with a low volume car that's above average #s,
as long as it doesn't push the fleet avg over the threshold limit.
Well thanks for that info. So what ever it is they are doing they seem to be cutting it close, at least in delvelopment.

LOL give us a 1.0L Versa to drop the avg.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:57 AM
inTgr8r

Originally Posted by VandyZ
OK, the Z. Well the word they kept using to describe it was "surprise". When ask about the engine, everything we suggested was denied. I will tell you when we enquired about the 3.8L Stroked engine that had been rumored as the direction of the new Z, we got lots of emissions related denials. The 3.7L questions were always a simple "no, its going to be a surprise" or "pleasant surprise". .......
They sure know how to push our buttons, don't they

I had hints of that in an email from another source with direct NNA ties.
That’s too bad, Ian, .............plans for the next gen Z .........Wish I could say more from our meetings with NNA….
Old 07-13-2007, 07:50 AM
RBull

Originally Posted by inTgr8r
They sure know how to push our buttons, don't they

I had hints of that in an email from another source with direct NNA ties.
Yes, they sure do.

I'll poke around my local source. No doubt I'll get the same response too.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Rampant

Just pure speculation here, but with the GT-R being turbo, and the rumor of them bringing back a Silvia type car (S16?), could they be doing some hi-performance 4 cyl. engine work?

NA i4 in the "S16", boosted i4 in the Z, boosted v6 in the GT-R. That might be a nice lineup, and certainly a "surprise".

If Mitsubishi can get an expected 320hp or so in the Evo X, why not Nissan?

Also, if weight is a big concern (as theorized by the shortened mule), that might be a way to address it. Plus, the smaller NA engine would naturally be better for CAFE standards. They could even "de-tune" the boosted Z engine in the future if emissions get crazy. That way, us enthusiasts could just up the boost/tune to get the hp back -- everyone wins.

Just a thought. Though a 3,000# turbo Z car sounds good to me, even if it is a 4 cyl.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe a turbo or supercharged Z. def. not a 4 cy though...

any word about the exterior or layout?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by VandyZ
Well the word they kept using to describe it was "surprise". When ask about the engine, everything we suggested was denied. I will tell you when we enquired about the 3.8L Stroked engine that had been rumored as the direction of the new Z, we got lots of emissions related denials. The 3.7L questions were always a simple "no, its going to be a surprise" or "pleasant surprise".

I dont think they are 100% sure what going in it. I do get the feeling that the 3.7L is not the direction they are going. Like I said they gave us alot more discussion about the 3.8L and its testing. So we know they are working on something. One other tid bit . . . when talking about the emission problems one of them said its a problem on a larger scale because they have to maintain (as a company) a certain average emission across the "fleet".

First, Adam, thanks for the update, for those of us who couldn't be there. Second, the CAFE stuff applies, as others above posted, to the whole NNA lineup.

The above quote, though, sounds to me like what they were telling you without telling you is: "We're trying to make that 3.8L work w/in CAFE emissions requirements, depending on what we do w/the rest of our lineup, emissions-wise, and if we CAN'T make it work, then we'll probably go with a smaller displacement engine, current 3.5L or probably even smaller, perhaps w/a turbo a la the new 3 series, and try to dump all the weight from the car we can. Either way, it's NOT gonnna be the 3.7, and so either way, what we do will be a surprise to everybody, since the assumption everybody's making (3.7) will be wrong."

You know, I could always be wrong, but I have years of actual work experience in BS, doublespeak and misleading people w/o literally lying. The year or two of specualtion will sure be fun.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:17 AM
RBlover69

They need a 3.8 and lighter weight bottom line. The suspension in the current Z is already adequate for 400hp. I think they need to step up and put the 3.8. The Z should be comparable to the G37.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:21 AM
inTgr8r

Originally Posted by RBlover69
They need a 3.8 and lighter weight bottom line. The suspension in the current Z is already adequate for 400hp. I think they need to step up and put the 3.8. The Z should be comparable to the G37.
I think the Z will be quite different & move past the G35 as far as sport & perf goes.
I think the G is being moved to a more luxo oriented market.

A new Z with the 3.8 & 3200 lbs would blow the doors off the G
Old 07-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Rampant

Originally Posted by Motormouth
maybe a turbo or supercharged Z. def. not a 4 cy though...
I seriously doubt they would put a boosted 6 in the Z -- it would cannibalize GT-R sales too much. Though, the supercharged engine from the 3.5 GT-S concept would be fun.

The G looks like it still is getting beat pretty badly in the 0-60 with its rival (by as much as 0.8 seconds according to some tests). Sure, the weight has a lot to do with it, but it might sway Nissan to go FI with the Z. But, they still have to worry about it not getting too close to the GT-R. I would imagine it would be an NA 6 (3.8 if they can get it to work) or if they go FI, they might have to use a 4, which they could use in various forms in their smaller cars.

It is all just wild speculation though.

The 3.8 probably makes the most sense in the end.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:31 AM
RBlover69

yea no boost ...reason being i mean why would u wanna hinder GTR sales. I mean a boosted 3.7 would be awesome but in reality the 3.8 NA is more then a offer to keep the Z and GTR away from its cousins at infiniti.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick!!! Somone snag up my380z.com!!!!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:41 PM
skaterbasist

The next Z will be a 3.7 liter... probably with similar if not slight heavier weight figures. That's my speculation.

But i'm sure Nissan will bring a lighter sports car into the market

Old 07-15-2007, 05:00 AM
RBlover69

if there being weight consious with a lightened model for the GTR who cannot say that the 380z persay wont be as weight savvy. it makes perfect sense. And i higblt doubt a 3.7 is gonna make any sens at this point of distancing nissan away from infinits niche. 3.8 all the way de tuned and lighten chassis.. The heaviest thing in a Z is it chassic its unibody contruction is hella amazing but heavy.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:08 AM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darthvol
You know, I could always be wrong, but I have years of actual work experience in BS, doublespeak and misleading people w/o literally lying. The year or two of specualtion will sure be fun.
Are you a lawyer?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:17 AM
RBull

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
The next Z will be a 3.7 liter... probably with similar if not slight heavier weight figures. That's my speculation.

But i'm sure Nissan will bring a lighter sports car into the market

I agree with your second statement but not the first. I can't see another sports car in addition to the Z. The lighter car will be the Z. Engine size - who knows, but I don't think a turbo is in the cards.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:10 AM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by kalima275Z
Are you a lawyer?
Now why would you think that? It's possible I COULD be a contractor who later became a pandering politician . . . or not. Then again . . .
Old 07-15-2007, 06:35 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

everyone alays cracks on pushrod V8, but has anyone seen the new print Z06 ad? it gives speces such as "505HP, 0-60 in 3.8 sec, 28 MPG Highway."

so, Chevy can make a killer 7.0 liter Pushrod V8 that has better fuel economy than a Z, and close to twice the power, and it's lighter too ....maybe nissan needs to go back to the drawing board.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:26 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by QuadCam
everyone alays cracks on pushrod V8, but has anyone seen the new print Z06 ad? it gives speces such as "505HP, 0-60 in 3.8 sec, 28 MPG Highway."

so, Chevy can make a killer 7.0 liter Pushrod V8 that has better fuel economy than a Z, and close to twice the power, and it's lighter too ....maybe nissan needs to go back to the drawing board.
yea but they also charge u a preety penny moer then what a Z is also and insurance aswell. My uncle has a new vette and his owners expenses are alot more then mine. Its a awesome engine. But remember also what the vette and Z are designed for the Z was never designed to be a hp monster in earlier years they actually tapered off the engines for way of balance and a turn in type vehicle. if u beleive that nissan cant make a high hp engine look at there racing exprience from nismo. they haev everything from 8 cyc to 4 cyc race engines. Its really up to where they wanna take the Z.

I really hope nissan doesnt put teh 3.7 i just think its to tame for the Z right now in a market where they need to be aggressive.

3.8 nismo race engine detuned. And lightened chassis same unibody contruction. Same body TD ehaust an no spare tire. Everything for weight savings and we have a winner.

I mean weight is our enemey look at what the amuze Z did with a DE ..they spanked many cars just on weight savings alone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next Gen Z insight from NNA