Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Why Nissan made a big mistake not putting the 3.7L in the 08 Z...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:48 AM
inTgr8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RBull
You're stating the obvious about the GTR being the new flagship. No one will argue that.

I can't see why anyone would think development would slow or stop on the Z because of the release of the GTR. Every manufacturer of every model in their lineup has to continually develop their cars or they risk almost guaranteed obsolescence or death of the product. The two models are significantly apart in performance and expected price.

The VQ engine has currently migrated to a new HR variant which for now is only used in rear drive applications. Nothing says that won't continue and engine size or variation won't also evolve making for bigger gains. I don't know how anyone can predict a specific horsepower limit of 350 in a future brand new car because of current "head design and packaging limitations". The VQ doesn't even use direct injection yet which offers further potential.
^+1
I agree completely.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:27 PM
tommyson30

I think they need to stop making Z, so the value will go up then I will sell my Z.... cant even to back seat anymore JK
Old 09-12-2007, 04:33 AM
RBull

^what are you trying to say?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:46 AM
spf4000

Originally Posted by tommyson30
I think they need to stop making Z, so the value will go up then I will sell my Z.... cant even to back seat anymore JK
Old 09-13-2007, 07:12 AM
Britx

""I can't see why anyone would think development would slow or stop on the Z because of the release of the GTR. Every manufacturer of every model in their lineup has to continually develop their cars or they risk almost guaranteed obsolescence or death of the product. The two models are significantly apart in performance and expected price""

Hmmm. Really? Risk obsolescence or death? Camaro ring a bell? Also lets not forget the fate the Mustang nearly suffered back in '95. The Probe GT was scheduled to be its replacement just two years before the SN95 was concieved due to overwhelming protest from the Mustang community. Dodge scrapped its plans to release anything remotly resembling a sports ( pony ) car due to lack of market viability and potential competition with the Viper. Fast forward five to ten years. The Mustang survived largely because it is the only FR two door car ford offers. ( GT40 removed as it is six times the cost ) The new Camaro is still a "concept", a pathetic one at that, And Dodge is just now looking to release the Challenger. Notice a pattern? As for the forign cars, Porsche is the only manufacturer which has a product line that could canabalize with in its self. Although with the Cayanne at 50K and a 911 at 80 I hardly think the two cross paths very often.
Point being, I certainly hope the GTR is a 500HP monster priced at nearly 70K. This would free up any room to advance the Z. Otherwise look for it to fade away. I absolutely love the Z and look forward to all of the upgrades Nissan is willing to throw at it. I just hope that it doesn't pay a hefty weight penalty or suffer softening or dulling of the edges to stay afloat. In that case I don't care how much power it has it simply wont be the car I have grown to know as one of the best true sports cars made.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:03 AM
RBull

Originally Posted by Britx
""I can't see why anyone would think development would slow or stop on the Z because of the release of the GTR. Every manufacturer of every model in their lineup has to continually develop their cars or they risk almost guaranteed obsolescence or death of the product. The two models are significantly apart in performance and expected price""

Hmmm. Really? Risk obsolescence or death? Camaro ring a bell? Also lets not forget the fate the Mustang nearly suffered back in '95. The Probe GT was scheduled to be its replacement just two years before the SN95 was concieved due to overwhelming protest from the Mustang community. Dodge scrapped its plans to release anything remotly resembling a sports ( pony ) car due to lack of market viability and potential competition with the Viper. Fast forward five to ten years. The Mustang survived largely because it is the only FR two door car ford offers. ( GT40 removed as it is six times the cost ) The new Camaro is still a "concept", a pathetic one at that, And Dodge is just now looking to release the Challenger. Notice a pattern? As for the forign cars, Porsche is the only manufacturer which has a product line that could canabalize with in its self. Although with the Cayanne at 50K and a 911 at 80 I hardly think the two cross paths very often.
Point being, I certainly hope the GTR is a 500HP monster priced at nearly 70K. This would free up any room to advance the Z. Otherwise look for it to fade away. I absolutely love the Z and look forward to all of the upgrades Nissan is willing to throw at it. I just hope that it doesn't pay a hefty weight penalty or suffer softening or dulling of the edges to stay afloat. In that case I don't care how much power it has it simply wont be the car I have grown to know as one of the best true sports cars made.
Sorry, I'm not following your point with Camaro or Mustang, Challenger,Viper etc. relating to the Z and the GTR. I'm not sure there are direct parallels here. If you're suggesting there may likely be no Z because of the GTR I am not of the same opinion.

Production of a given model is based on market conditions, past and future expected sales. Manufacturers stop building cars when they don't think there is a market for them. Unless someone believes there is no market a Z it will be built. I would humbly suggest few people on this board would be potential buyers of the GTR for financial reasons yet they drive Z's. Sales of the car will be heavily dependent on the car being competitive within it's class. That means it will need continuous development or fail.

It is widely anticipated the GTR will be about 473 hp and in the price range you mention. That should keep the car far enough away from the Z class of buyers to maintain another market. I doubt the GTR will sell many cars anyhow and it will almost certainly be a financial loss for Nissan inexchange for having a serious flagship to build brand image.

Last edited by RBull; 09-14-2007 at 04:05 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:20 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most powerful PRODUCTION, and second to most expensive, Japanese car ever to be sold in the states.

The Z will be safe.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:20 AM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommyson30
ENGLISH PEOPLE!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:43 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
Though I won't be buying an 08 or 09, I would love to see them eliminate the shifter vibration and abrupt clutch engagement. It would make the car much more fun to drive.
I agree with the vibration in the shifter. I wish they could make that go away.

My 97 M3 has ZERO vibration in the shifter because the shift lever's ball joint is attached to the car's chassis with linkage going to the tranny. This really isolates it from the engine's vibrations. The Z's entire shifter is mounted to the tranny, so all the vibration is transmitted through to the shifter.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:29 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How can you compare the new challenger and camaro to a Z?, their way different types of cars.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:04 AM
twenzel

People who think the GTR is here to replace the Z are complete morons and have no understanding of the market at all. The Z has been sold next to the GTR in Japan for decades.

The Z is a mid $30k sports coupe/convertable produced in high volume. The GTR is a flagship sports car in $70k price range produced in low volume. There is no way these cars can cannibalize eachother.

The GTR will attract tons of buyers and people that just want to see the car. Very few of these buyers will actually be able to afford the GTR which then the dealer will put them into the Z. This sort of marketing will increase sales for the Z.

From my source in Nissan, there WILL be redesigned 09 370Z released for next fall. Which is perfect timing.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Rampant

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
How can you compare the new challenger and camaro to a Z?, their way different types of cars.
Different types of cars, but similar target market. They will be cross-shopped (though not by everyone, of course). The desire for either a V8, or a back seat alone could sway buyers to the American dealerships.

The Z has to be noticeably better in some areas where it is strongest to compete (namely going around corners) and pretty close on the rest. It won't be able to compete on thrust alone. By not putting in the 3.7, it widens the power gap and makes the domestics more appealing to some people.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 AM
spf4000

I don't see how anyone would cross shop a $30k car and a $60k+ car. They are in completely different classes.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:44 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Z/G Owner:
No
Color:
No
Trim Level:
No

How come you haven’t picked-up anything in 4 years?
Old 09-28-2007, 07:43 AM
RBull

Originally Posted by tonywenzel
People who think the GTR is here to replace the Z are complete morons and have no understanding of the market at all. The Z has been sold next to the GTR in Japan for decades.

The Z is a mid $30k sports coupe/convertable produced in high volume. The GTR is a flagship sports car in $70k price range produced in low volume. There is no way these cars can cannibalize eachother.

The GTR will attract tons of buyers and people that just want to see the car. Very few of these buyers will actually be able to afford the GTR which then the dealer will put them into the Z. This sort of marketing will increase sales for the Z.

From my source in Nissan, there WILL be redesigned 09 370Z released for next fall. Which is perfect timing.

Spot on with your analysis.

Good to know about the '09 and it doesn't surprise me.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:55 AM
inTgr8r

Originally Posted by RBull
Spot on with your analysis.

Good to know about the '09 and it doesn't surprise me.
+1.... that sounds more like it
Old 09-28-2007, 11:01 AM
ZGTChick

Thought shifter vibration magnitude had to do with type of bushing used. Dont harder bushing yield more vibration? But harder bushing I though made shifting easier and thus are more desirable??????

I dont know I am asking, not stating.