Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

MotorAuthority--Nissan 370Z gets 332hp, rev-matched manual transmission 11.11.08

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:28 PM
skaterbasist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in.the.dark
Yeah, and here is my guess: the rev matching mode will function sequentially and is more intended for track use than everyday use. And it won't work for, say, a 6-3 shift. I could be wrong. Guess we'll have to wait to find out.
If this feature is really going on the 370Z, I would think its the other way around.

People love rev-matching when they do spirited driving or track their car.

This feature is more of a conveniance factor than anything else. I don't see why people would want this feature if they are tracking their car.

Like someone said, I hope it has an on/off switch. Part of the joy of a true manual is rev-matching.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ataru074
I agree that the E46 M3 was fast or close to an HR 350z (I still think that on a track the Z is a bit faster... for what I have seen)

The e92 isn't so faster... it's still a fat goat that suffer of an incredible understeer, especially after few laps on a track.
It's sharp, for the first few laps.. it's really sharp.. and looks neutral to oversteering for its 420hp... but the balance is quite understeering at the limit when the front tires start overheating.

we will see... we will see.... a cayman S can catch an E92 M3 on a track and sometimes be even faster (slow technical track) if the 370z is going to match or overtake the actual cayman... that's it. is going to be faster than a E92 anywhere but straight line and really fast tracks.
On the track is one thing, but in my comparison, I was simply referring to straight line acceleration.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Originally Posted by trebien
Not necessarily. The M3 doesn't have much aftermarket headroom for the already strung out engine, but the 370Z should easily be able to tap out another 30HP with simple bolt-ons and a tune, if the G37 aftermarket is any indication.

I hate comparing stock cars versus modded cars, but I have to since there is very little to mod the M3... the mods are much less attainable for it. The M3 is making high 12s in the quarter, and I think the Z will be commonly capable of that with exhaust/cats/tune/intake... simple bolt-ons that many people would consider. I'm not talking about cracking the engine for high compression pistons, or cams, etc. I'm talking about $2000 worth of simple add-ons that are highly attainable and easily installed.

A modded 360HP Z has a very similar power-to-weight ratio as an M3. And the 400+ pound lighter Z will pay dividends on a track.

3200 pound Z with 360HP = 8.89 lbs/hp

3700 pound M3 with 414HP = 8.94 lbs/hp

8.89 > 8.94

Once again, it's all about the weight savings.
It's a bit pointless to compare modded to stock. Can a Z be made faster than other cars with appropriate mods, sure, but I don't think that's the discussion.

I'm not familiar with the mods available for the e92 M3, but I do know that the same bolt-ons that are available for the Z will be available for the M3. I haven't read up or am familiar with the new M3, but as with past M3 and with past Ms, the popular bolt-ons will be exhaust, intakes, software, gearing and maybe those darn RPI scoops. Headers if they're not out yet, should be available soon.

The cost might be greater, but the type of mods are all the same.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Originally Posted by mhoward1
With modern beveled syncros, the between gear shiftings before clutch release really doesn't gain much at all. It saves a little wear on the syncro itself, but its minimal.

If someone is doing it for smoother shifts, then the rev blip is too early to improve smoothness on the chassis.
Regardless of smoother shifts or wear, one starts to rev-match simultaneously as they're shifting gears. Just don't see how the computer will begin to rev-match without knowing which gear you wish to select.

With F1 style transmissions, the computer controlled clutch makes all the difference. When one taps the paddle a few times, the computer knows which gear is selected and how much to rev-match. On the 370Z, with a traditional manual and clutch, I don't see how this will happen appropriately.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:16 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sensi09
Regardless of smoother shifts or wear, one starts to rev-match simultaneously as they're shifting gears. Just don't see how the computer will begin to rev-match without knowing which gear you wish to select.

With F1 style transmissions, the computer controlled clutch makes all the difference. When one taps the paddle a few times, the computer knows which gear is selected and how much to rev-match. On the 370Z, with a traditional manual and clutch, I don't see how this will happen appropriately.

A Rev done in between gears doesn't gain anything in the way of performance. Only a rev match done as the clutch is being released increases smoothness and chassis dynamics. At this point the CPU knows which gear has been selected and the current speed of the car. This is the appropriate time to rev match for performance driving.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:04 AM
Ataru074

On the track is one thing, but in my comparison, I was simply referring to straight line acceleration.
well... at that point grab a corvette with the LS3.. a little bit more expensive but way faster.
the only weakness I have seen is reliability on the track of the stock vettes.. on the other hand, incredibly fast for the money.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:11 AM
Ataru074

The cost might be greater, but the type of mods are all the same.
yes and no... the M3 is altready a highly developed almost "money no object" sedan.. at least in the engine compartment. 4 liter, 415 hp, 8200 rpm... you don't squeeze too much more from this kind of engine.

just take a look of an M3 header... isn't the POS cast manifold we were used to see on a Z... and again the exhaust line... also the aftermarkets pretty much carbon copy the design of the stock one... and that means only one thing... they cannot improve easily.

same story for the Z4M...
on the Z is clearly know that also on a full N/A car the money required to get a 10/15% HP/tq more is resonable.

the biggets advantage of a 350z (or 370z, guess is going to be the same) is the more sofisticated front suspension with the double wishbone instead of regular mcpherson.
probably you won't feel it on the road.. but where it counts makes up for the HP difference.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:27 PM
DiscoZ

Originally Posted by Ataru074
same story for the Z4M...
on the Z is clearly know that also on a full N/A car the money required to get a 10/15% HP/tq more is resonable.
Z4M with intake scoops, ESS tune and exhaust has put out 317/318whp (two different cars). Videos on Youtube/Zpost. Stock is approx 290whp. Looks like the 370Z will be fairly close.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:54 PM
370ZTECH

265 lb/ft torque @ 5200 rpm
Old 11-13-2008, 07:54 PM
350Zforlife
370Zforlife

Originally Posted by 370ZTECH
265 lb/ft torque @ 5200 rpm
It's teh Truth /\ and sorta disappointed on losing 5 HP.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:26 PM
trebien

Originally Posted by mthreat
Did you just say 8.89 > 8.94?

I guess you're defining the > symbol as "is better than"
Of course, it's "forum speak" for better than. Where ya been?

Well, I guess everybody that was looking for 350 horsepower and 3000 pound curb weight has finally stfu'd.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:58 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Anyone else think the rev-matching manual is going to save Nissan hundreds of thousands in replacement trannies? I'm sure they'll still be people capable of breaking it, but I'm also sure 99% of the premature synchro wear out there is from people not rev-matching.
Yes. An astute observation. I agree.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Faboo

for everyday driving the revmatching will be great.....as soon as i get to a corner it gets turned off....

u have to remember that enthusiasts are not the only market...and also not all enthusiasts are hardcore enthusiasts......auto revmatching sounds like heaven for 80% of prospective buyers, and they would never think of disabling it...

i just cant wait for them to hit the streets...and we see what they really do.....

when is the release date for these...still unknown???
Old 11-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

A Rev done in between gears doesn't gain anything in the way of performance. Only a rev match done as the clutch is being released increases smoothness and chassis dynamics. At this point the CPU knows which gear has been selected and the current speed of the car. This is the appropriate time to rev match for performance driving.
Do you downshift into gear, then begin to rev-match? I tried to think about it when I was driving yesterday, and for myself, the rev-match and shifting into gear happens simultaneously.

Regardless of smoothness and or speed, it just makes for a much more fluid movement/shift IMO.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:12 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you downshift into gear, then begin to rev-match? I tried to think about it when I was driving yesterday, and for myself, the rev-match and shifting into gear happens simultaneously.

Regardless of smoothness and or speed, it just makes for a much more fluid movement/shift IMO.
While rev matching as you go into gear helps the syncros a bit (but not much), by the time the clutch release is done the rev's have dropped back down and the input shaft now spinning slower than the transmission, so any smoothness is lost. By Doing the rev match as the clutch is released, or just before the pedal is lifted, the input shaft is then brought to the correct speed and then engaged.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

While rev matching as you go into gear helps the syncros a bit (but not much), by the time the clutch release is done the rev's have dropped back down and the input shaft now spinning slower than the transmission, so any smoothness is lost. By Doing the rev match as the clutch is released, or just before the pedal is lifted, the input shaft is then brought to the correct speed and then engaged.
You can match the revs (give extra revs) to compensate for any of this. It's not jerky when I downshift.

Sort of like a double clutch downshift, you're on the gas giving revs prior to actually getting into gear.