Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

370Z vs Solstice Coupe GXP

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:20 AM
Atag012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin370Z
All those haters about the solstice making stupid comments about its a girly car and so forth. You are probably just saying that because your ashamed of your dick size and can't get none so it makes you feel better to say your Z is what girls like. For your information there are currently a lots of sols out there putting out 400 plus HP on the streets. Thats right think about that....is that a girly car? Guys bashing something else won't get you laid or make your dick grow, your just pathetic.
all i have to say is that this proves the solstice is for little girls
Old 12-13-2008, 03:35 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lies, lies and statistics my friend. Consider what 'initial quality' really means:

Initial quality: owner-reported problems in the first 90 days of new-vehicle ownership

Even GM can build a car that will not break down in the first 90 days of ownership. I find this metric almost useless.

If you look at the numbers compiled after few years of ownership between GM cars, including Pontiac, and Nissan, the lines diverge significantly. I think this is a more important stat to pay attention than the first couple months of ownership.

GXP has potential and sounds like a performer. One major advantage (or so most would think) it has, and this has been pointed out, is that it has factory FI. That makes it really easy to get a cheap bump in power initially. The problem is that you can only make so much power on a small 2.0L block with a blower. Some guys here mentioned possible 400HP+ numbers on the car. I'll believe it when I see it...not that it cannot be done. Anything can be done, just that this type of power on that engine will be very expensive. To get that kind of power out of a 2.0L, you'd need to strap a pretty large blower onto it, GT35 or GT40 probably or something comparable along with other things like upgraded intercooling, probably alcohol, etc, etc. At the end of the day, you'll end up with a car that is not drivable. 2.0L spooling something that large is extremely difficult to drive on the street. On top of this, how do you think the rest of the car will hold up with that kind of power? By the time you get to those numbers, you'll end up with broken gears, torn up clutch and you'll probably snap a connecting rod. How do you think that stock tranny and internals will hold up? So, if were going to compare factory performance and add modability to that, let's look at it realistically. GXP is not as 'mod' friendly as you guys think...at least not if you're looking in a large bump in power. You can get a decent initial bump but after that, it gets expensive and quickly. In the end, there's no replacement for displacement. Every tuner that knows a lick will tell you that. Oh, and slapping a manual boost controller on to get a few extra pounds of boost and calling it tuning does not count in my book. Try that in MA where we get 30F swings in temps daily and you'll know what I mean. BTW, most new cars nowadays do not respond kindly to that type of a hack.
370Z is harder to mod initially and definitely more costly. But overall, it is a better platform to build upon if your goals include moderate to high HP.

Oh, and guys, are you really comparing and arguing about GXP vs. 370Z based on 'girl car' image or how many skirts you think you can score? What is this....a honda forum? Are you guys seriously arguing based on that? And I thought this was a serious car forum.

Originally Posted by teh_ginger
Ignorance is bliss. Nissan and Pontiac are identically ranked by JD Power accross the board, including quality.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...tings-by-brand

The rest of your ******** commentary isn't even worth replying to....

The sad thing is that you think owning a NISSAN somehow makes you cooler than owning a Pontiac.

And I love how in your comparison you put an emphasis on the brand when you say "Pontiac Solstice", but you fail to mention the brand when talking about a "Z". It's "Pontiac Solstice" versus "Nissan 370Z". Most women, contrary to what your shallow, dumbass thinks, are going to hear Pontiac and Nissan. Neither is very impressive.

Last edited by Ziggyrama; 12-13-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Sunset350ZR

Lotta junk and idiocy in here. When it comes to looks of the cars and what looks best, of course most here think the Z is better. It's a Z forum duh. As for the performance and quality of these cars, the 03-05 are about equal to 60 and the quarter mile. My revup on the other hand was slightly slower and i do mean slight to the Redline but again dead even by 100 mph. The HRs are faster period and most likely why Pontiac/Saturn are bunping power in the upcoming car. Things do progress. As for handling and ride it depends on how tight the roads are you are driving on. If you are talking about the Tennessee side of the border of the Dragon then point to point the Redline is quicker. Cross the border into NC and both my DE and RevUp are faster, but make no mistake the Redline/Solstice are wel put together cars that do what they are intended to do well. The interior seems smaller in the Redline no doubt but my brother's 6'2" 250 lb frame seem to get in and out of it with no problem and does not looked stuffed in the car when he gets in it. As for storage space the ZR is better no doubt and if going for a weekend run to Atlanta 3-4 hours away I would rather go in my car every time. When he goes on interstate trips where luggage is needed he rides with the top up. He then has nearly same space as my roadster though it is a pack and stuff in various corners. After two years the car still looks as good as the day he bought it. The intererior is different than the Z but I would definitely say equal. I think whether you get a Redline/GXP or a 370Z once they add the extra hp will again be a simple decision of what emotionally stirs you as the cars are quite competitive as toys and once they make a coupe, I am guessing as competitive as DD as well. Its simply about choice.

Sorry to ramble but I have access to two Zs and have ridden/driven i the Sky Redline as much as ay non owner probably could. By the way just as we state in our forums about the Z being superior to the Sky/Solstice they state in there forums how superior they are to our beloved Z. That is the nature of car forums. Have fun and continue.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:39 AM
kwtoxman

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
The problem is that you can only make so much power on a small 2.0L block with a blower. Some guys here mentioned possible 400HP+ numbers on the car. I'll believe it when I see it...not that it cannot be done. Anything can be done, just that this type of power on that engine will be very expensive. To get that kind of power out of a 2.0L, you'd need to strap a pretty large blower onto it, GT35 or GT40 probably or something comparable along with other things like upgraded intercooling, probably alcohol, etc, etc.
I'm thinking you'll be pleasantly surprised. We'll have to see how the next year goes as the serious mods hit the car. I'm hoping myself but indicators look good. The great thing is that you don't have to build the GXP 2.0 engine for a turbo application. It is already built for a turbo application; and overbuilt at that. The 2.0 LNF bottom end is serious and looks fine for 450 hp. The potential of the engine and powertrain looks to be a very strong point for the GXP, like it has been seen for many other performance GM engines and powertrains.

Not that the clutch is weak, but one should be prepared to upgrade the clutch like any car with a 50%+ hp gain. It seems the powertrain is otherwise pretty strong. So far so good with a fair amount of people modded cars including turbo 2.4's and V8's. But the oncoming wave of modded GXPs will really figure that out. As with any blown car, adding a bigger IC, exhaust, etc will really help uncork the hp but it looks like the GXP can get to around 350 rwhp with a simple turbo upgrade and tune. Adding a bigger IC, exhaust, etc. will only make it more.

There are a few solstice gxp's with GT3076R's running around. They are putting up mid-high 3XX rwhp; the problem is that the car ECM won't let them run any real boost over 23 psi. Supposedly the new sensors and appropriate tune will fix that. A turbo builder guru thinks this turbo will be good for 450+ rwhp in the car.

But that turbo is too big for me. The GT2871R looks intriguing. Much quicker spool up and there is a post here showing the same engine in the cobalt getting 371 rwhp. http://www.synapseturbo.com/

The aftermarket for the 2.0 LNF powertrain should be strong now that the cobalt SS has the same set up. Great for the support. But I guess we all have to watch out for being spanked by some cobalts out there. Who'd of thought that.....

I know where many are coming from with the 350Z. It definitely takes a lot of money to build a reliable 350Z turbo. The engine wasn't built for a turbo giving 50% more hp. I'd expect the 370Z to be the same but that's just a guess. The GXP 2.0 LNF may become GM's version of a mod-terror, kinda like the supra. It remains to be seen.

As for the newest GXP coupes and vert's, they are still 260 hp stock. The stage II kit (sensors and tune) is a factory add on to get to 290 hp. Still full warranty.

Having choice and competition is a good thing. It pushes manufacturers to improve peformance. It's a win win for everyone. Especially considering there may be a huge shift away from performance soon in the car market.

As for the 370Z, the new car isn't doing it for me yet. But I'm pretty sure that the pics don't do it justice. In person I'm expecting to be mighty impressed.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 12-13-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:38 AM
Sunset350ZR

So KWtoxman if these sensors and tune are an add on, are they available for the Solstices out there already? Is this also an option for the Reline Sky as well?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Renesis07

370Z
Old 12-13-2008, 06:58 AM
kwtoxman

Originally Posted by Sunset350ZR
So KWtoxman if these sensors and tune are an add on, are they available for the Solstices out there already? Is this also an option for the Reline Sky as well?
The part number came out last week and the retailers have just started to receive them. There are even a few pics of the kit that retailers received. And yes, it will work for the redline too. Price has been around $575.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 12-13-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:26 AM
ZZtwatt

How old are you? Probably 15 and wish you could own anyone of these cars.
No, but you must be three.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:42 AM
my2004Z

Seriously folks, how many people are going to buy a brand new car and immediately upgrade the $hit out of it? I for one am always hesitant to finance a car and then start monkeying with it within the first couple of years. I'm not rich enough (yet) to buy a $25K+ car with straight up cash so I will have to consider what the cars can do right out of the showroom floor. Even before it leaves the showroom floor I have to like the view of the car from every angle. The 350Z captivated me immediately because I was looking very hard for an angle that looked slightly off and I couldn't find one. Now the 370Z has done the same for me and it even looks good from an overhead view. Very few cars look good from that angle, even super cars. Check out this angle for the Solstice and compare it with this angle for the 370Z. This is my money shot along with the low angle front view which the Z wins hands down. See the Z's low front angle here and see the Solstice's here.

Lets look at physical characteristics next. Both cars have similar dimensions with the Z being a little taller, longer, wider and heavier. The Z is closer to the magical 99" wheelbase than the Solstice which is 95". This will play out when the next Lightening Lap comparison is done and will definitely favor the Z on the high speed turns. Lets now look at power to weight ratios. The Solstice comes in at 11.5 and the Z comes in at 9.8. This, my friends, is the deciding factor for me because as we all know P/W ratio is huge when it comes to overall performance. Solstice= =Z
Old 12-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Sunset350ZR

At 260 hp I would agree with you ^ hands down. At 290 hp ad 310 tq it becomes a much closer question. I to look forward to the lightning lap as hopefully the Z will again dominat all in its group as well as encroach upon the group above enen more than its predecessor the 350Z.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:40 AM
kwtoxman

The lightning lap on the GXP wasn't as good as it should be. The cobalt SS was faster. The reason is that the OEM tires on the GXP are notably lower grade than the SS and the rest of the competition. Keep these comparisons in mind. The lightning lap isn't the end-all-be-all for any car.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Ve$po

Originally Posted by HoustnZ
Who cares about the Solstice? GM is going to go under anyway so why buy a car from a manufacturer that can't stay in business without the govt bailing them out?
AMEN to someone with common sense

When it comes down to it, i like both cars to tell you the truth. The Solstice looks pretty sweet.. and the Z, well IMO its always been sexy. But what everyone should really think IS.... IT COMES DOWN TO THE DRIVER OF THE CAR WHEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS COMES UP. Arguing for stupid ******** nonsense. Half the kids on here probably can't even drive a 6MT. Put 2 fairly equivalent 6MT drivers in both cars and put up a nice friendly race, then we can finally see who's the big boy out of the 2.

And also, IMHO its just a matter of choice - whoever wants the Z get the Z and whoever likes the Solstice, get the Solstice.

Last edited by Ve$po; 12-13-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Smokin370Z

Originally Posted by ZZtwatt
No, but you must be three.
Wow that really goes to show how young you are with that comment as well as when you don't know anything about the two cars. Since your talking trash about a car you don't know anything about I think you just got

I am not bashing the 370Z its a nice car and I am thinking about getting one. People need to stop and think, this whole thread is comparing the two vehicles, not a pissing match about how one is for girls or you get laid in one. Granted its a 370Z forum and most will be biased towards it.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:54 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

370Z IMO looks better.

Race results:
Take a look at the T2 results for the SCCA National Runoffs.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:28 PM
kwtoxman

Originally Posted by WXSigns
370Z IMO looks better.

Race results:
Take a look at the T2 results for the SCCA National Runoffs.
Whoa, a forum is no place for facts.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...0&FS=SCCA-RACE
The top two solstices went out on the last lap otherwise it would have been top five inclusive.

Youtube 2008 SCCA T2 and you'll get lots of videos. Wow. I had no idea there was so much ping pong out there.

Also, I agree.... the solstice coupe looks like crap... IMO. The vert is hawt.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 12-13-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:34 PM
ZZtwatt

Wow that really goes to show how young you are with that comment as well as when you don't know anything about the two cars. Since your talking trash about a car you don't know anything about I think you just got
Solstice=GM product=failed product
Old 12-13-2008, 01:44 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Being objective: In the looks department, the Solstice is much cuter than the Zed.
BUT, reliability & performance-wise, I'll keep my "Zee" hands down!
Old 12-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Atag012

Originally Posted by Ve$po
AMEN to someone with common sense

When it comes down to it, i like both cars to tell you the truth. The Solstice looks pretty sweet.. and the Z, well IMO its always been sexy. But what everyone should really think IS.... IT COMES DOWN TO THE DRIVER OF THE CAR WHEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS COMES UP. Arguing for stupid ******** nonsense. Half the kids on here probably can't even drive a 6MT. Put 2 fairly equivalent 6MT drivers in both cars and put up a nice friendly race, then we can finally see who's the big boy out of the 2.

And also, IMHO its just a matter of choice - whoever wants the Z get the Z and whoever likes the Solstice, get the Solstice.
+1 GM is ****
Old 12-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Atag012

I am not bashing the 370Z its a nice car and I am thinking about getting one. People need to stop and think, this whole thread is comparing the two vehicles, not a pissing match about how one is for girls or you get laid in one. Granted its a 370Z forum and most will be biased towards it.
Smokey370z why are you fight so hard for the solstice. 370 is in you fuking name, this is a 370 forum, go take your bullsh1t somewhere else you little ***g
Old 12-13-2008, 03:34 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kwtoxman
Whoa, a forum is no place for facts.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...0&FS=SCCA-RACE
The top two solstices went out on the last lap otherwise it would have been top five inclusive.

Youtube 2008 SCCA T2 and you'll get lots of videos. Wow. I had no idea there was so much ping pong out there.

Also, I agree.... the solstice coupe looks like crap... IMO. The vert is hawt.
You should see the bumping with the Spec Miatas in SCCA.

Quick Reply: 370Z vs Solstice Coupe GXP