Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

370Z vs Solstice Coupe GXP

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Nuieve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 370Z vs Solstice Coupe GXP

I thought I'd start another "vs" thread... there can never be too many of them.

Both 2-seat, short, have about the same HP and TQ, Solstice weighs less and supposedly has better handling but crap interior. I don't know about the prices, but I assume GXP will be quite a bit cheaper.

So... anyone considering GXP as 370Z competitor?
Old 11-15-2008, 09:58 AM
bauertt

Solstice is a Sunfire with a new look. In 10 years, let us know how the quality of your product is holding up.

Solstices are junk, but girls like them.. as in, if you're a girl, GREAT RIDE OMG but if you're a guy.. you might be better served in anything else.

So yeah, Z over GXP all day/night long. Just my two cents
Old 11-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Greg06

This thread is just gonna degenerate into an argue fest like all the other, this vs this crap..
Old 11-15-2008, 10:17 AM
supergoji

the GXP comes with a turbo. easier to make power out of it.
hell if you read grassroots motorsports you'll see that they even have their own race series now. sort of the next miata.

however, the 370z is higher up on the foodchain. much more durable, wider, and the fenders allow for HUGE tires. not to mention it has much more displacement and most likely responds to mods just as well. weve seen 329whp with dual intakes, HFC's, catback and a reflash out of the VQ37VHR.

so all thats missing is Cams, headers, better designed plenum, bigger throttle bodies, porting and polishing the the intake manifold.

i wouldnt buy it. i'd get the Z.

and much more agressive tuning.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:19 AM
SBG

Originally Posted by bauertt
Solstice is a Sunfire with a new look. In 10 years, let us know how the quality of your product is holding up.

Solstices are junk, but girls like them.. as in, if you're a girl, GREAT RIDE OMG but if you're a guy.. you might be better served in anything else.

Interesting comments. I like the 370z and Sostice GXP. The 370z will be a better daily driver. The Solstice has very little storage space, and I don't think too many people will argue that the 370z is a big step up in performance (stock vs stock).
The Solstice GXP is a 14.0 @ 98 mph car (on a pretty good day). A few guys have managed to run high 13s (stock), but its pretty rare for a stock GXP.
But the GXP is easily modded. There are quite a few guys running low to mid 13s with very basic (inexpensive) mods to increase boost.

And about the "if you're a girl" comment. That's what a lot of the Corvette and Mustang Cobra guys say about 350z's.
So I really wouldn't take that approach.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:41 AM
HoustnZ

Old 11-15-2008, 11:09 AM
ChromiumBlue

I really don't think they are in the same class of comparison. yea they're both two seaters and all, but weight, storage capacity, and price set them kind of far apart for average guys like me. I've beaten the hell out of my car. It's seen track, drag strip, and bumpy shitty roads for almost four years now and it runs better than my friends GTO of the same year, and don't even get me started on my friends mustang. What I'm saying is, when I buy a car, I plan on keeping it for at least six years, I still have fun with my G35 Coupe. So yea, I'll probably take a 2010 or 2011 370z over a solstice any day. Plus, for me the interior plays a major role.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:57 AM
captpn

if i HAD to pic a Solstice, it would be the 09 GXP Coupe w/ the GM stage II kit (290hp / 310 tq)

Last edited by captpn; 11-15-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:04 PM
HoustnZ

Old 11-15-2008, 12:12 PM
zero0 2 sixty

oh please ...you kno if they put a ls3 in a solstice youd drive it.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:19 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just out of curiosity what do you drive?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:26 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

a pickup...
Old 11-15-2008, 01:21 PM
trebien

The OP was talking about the GXP COUPE. That's the hardtop, non-convertible. Supposedly will have a power bump, and stiffer chassis, and should come in around 3000 pounds - it's real asset. Being a turbo, the gas mileage should be good as well.

I think powerwise, it has a lot of potential with minimal outlay/effort. Factory turbo, FTW. If the chassis is stiff enough, it could be a real handler as well. And for the daily driver, the absence of the softop hardware should mean more room.

Mod-for-mod, with a few thousand dollars, it will probably be faster. After that, going for big power, it's limited with only a 2 liter engine...

A lot of potential for the money... but I still can't get past a certain "feminine" image it has... I think it's too curvy. Not to mention reliability and resale issues...
Old 11-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Sea Bass

Solstice is a Sunfire with a new look.
Just my two cents
And that's all it was worth. This post hurts.

So, a RWD coupe on a modern platform is essentially the same as a FWD sedan/coupe riding on a 20 year platform? Could you possibly make a more generalized statement?
Old 11-15-2008, 03:01 PM
OldDirty Z33

I like the new gxp. F the haters
Old 11-15-2008, 03:40 PM
ghoover

I had hoped the 370Z would have blown away the Solstice, but with the rumored weight about the same as the outgoing model, I'll be giving the Solstice a more serious look.

It looks like the 370Z will be roughly 300-400 lbs heavier than the Solstice and that kind of weight will be a big disadvantage to the 370.

More weight will make it harder to accelerate, harder to turn and harder to stop. The 370Z will have a a better engine, better suspension, better brakes etc., . . . but it will beed all those things just to stay even with a lighter Solstice.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Endgame

Originally Posted by ghoover
I had hoped the 370Z would have blown away the Solstice, but with the rumored weight about the same as the outgoing model, I'll be giving the Solstice a more serious look.

It looks like the 370Z will be roughly 300-400 lbs heavier than the Solstice and that kind of weight will be a big disadvantage to the 370.

More weight will make it harder to accelerate, harder to turn and harder to stop. The 370Z will have a a better engine, better suspension, better brakes etc., . . . but it will beed all those things just to stay even with a lighter Solstice.
I bet the 135i would beat the Soltice's nose in. BTW, that car also weighs 300-400 pounds more. 370Z will own the Soltice just as the GTR owns the Z06....
Old 11-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Zyclone Z

Owning a Z is owning a Z. How would you tell a really hot girl what kind of car your drive when you have to say I Drive A Poniac Solstice GXP (lol) or I drive a Z Most girls know what Z's are. Im pretty sure now with the 370z coming out it will be even more of an eye catcher at first site no matter where your at as apposed to the solstice which looks the same as all the other poniac solstices... To me this shouldn't be a hard choice, 370z hands down.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Damon_Chambers

thats one of the most ignorant posts ive seen on the net in a long long time.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Damon_Chambers

Originally Posted by Zyclone Z
Owning a Z is owning a Z. How would you tell a really hot girl what kind of car your drive when you have to say I Drive A Poniac Solstice GXP (lol) or I drive a Z Most girls know what Z's are. Im pretty sure now with the 370z coming out it will be even more of an eye catcher at first site no matter where your at as apposed to the solstice which looks the same as all the other poniac solstices... To me this shouldn't be a hard choice, 370z hands down.
it sounds to me the only reason you are into the Z is for chasing skirts and showing off?

Quick Reply: 370Z vs Solstice Coupe GXP