Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Edmunds 370Z Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:25 AM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
According to Nissan's stated weight (for consistency), the 08 Touring 6MT weighs 3,376 lbs. Whereas the 370Z Touring 6MT weighs in at 3,278. (About the same differences between the automatics too).

Maybe im missing something here, but I think its pretty much official that the 370Z Touring is almost 100 lbs lighter than the 350Z Touring. (And about the same differences between base models)

Again, the "I weighed in at" argument is completely useless. You can't possibly expect everyone to be weighing them with the same exact configurations.
How is it completely useless when people know to weigh their cars STOCK and with fluids all full? It's not the least bit useless. Look, the fact of the matter is that Nissan LIED about the weight of the Zs. They advertised one claim, but the reality was different. Explain to me why my car title, registration, AND my own test told me that my car weighs 3250lbs, meanwhile Nissan says it weighs 3330lbs? Enlighten me. My car was bone stock, with a full tank of gas. And explain to me why other 07 and 08 owners conducted the same tests and reported the same results? There are no "exact" configurations necessary here - this isn't rocket science. You weigh a bone stock car, with a full tank of gas. That's it.

Nissan is allowed to report whatever weight number they want to the public and in their press releases, just as long as they submit the true one to the F-DOT.

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Wow, I just can't believe how people are missing the main point.

It's NOT about the number itself, its about the differences between them. Whether they stated 3500 vs 3300 lbs or 3200 lbs vs 3000 lbs, they are using the same method of weighing them. So its safe to say that it is XXX amount lighter than the other.

Ofcourse people will be able to weigh them in at a lighter weight...
So it seems like you're the one missing the point. There are no inconsistencies in our weigh-ins. They have all been consistent in procedure and results, actually, repeatedly showing us that 03-05s weigh 30-40lbs less (going hand-in-hand with Nissan's numbers), and 06-08s weighing on average 3230lbs (depending on trim). Again, the only 3300+ Z I've seen so far was Solo's Nismo Z, which is consistent with what Edmunds weighed the car at.

So I'll say it again, Nissan BSed the weights of the 06+Zs to the public to make the 09Z look like it's lost weight. I've been saying it since day one, and I fully stand by my theory. Until somebody weighs in their own Touring 09 Z and gets a figure that's less than 3250, the car gained weight over the 06-08.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 11-26-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:29 AM
SniperHunter

And I should clarify that I'm not saying this to take anything away from the 370Z. I'm just saying this because I hate marketing hyperbole, working in this environment has made me jaded and I know exactly how these corps. think and function. It bothers me to see the media eat up all of the BS their fed.

I've grown to like the 370Z over time, I'm still mixed about the rear, but I like the car as a whole. I'm not hating on it, because I've stated many, many times that this thing is a step-up in performance over any stock 350Z. I'm merely trying to set the record straight on what I wholeheartedly believe to be the truth.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:31 AM
trebien

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
My car was bone stock, with a full tank of gas. And explain to me why other 07 and 08 owners conducted the same tests and reported the same results?
You've said this over and over again, and I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. But I only hear this from you, not any other OWNERS (fanbois need not apply).

So please show:
  1. These other users
  2. Their weigh slips
  3. Proof/Acknowledgement that all fluids were topped off/COMPLETELY STOCK
  4. Proof/Acknowledgement that the scales used were verified and calibrated

I am truly interested, and would love to give credence to your theory. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Endgame

ArnoldK - Then let's just wait for someone to weigh the 370. I can't wait to see what the true verdict is.

What if Nissan is fibbing on it's true weight also..... Of the reviews thus far, no comments have been made about it feeling as if it was carrying more weight. Maybe as more test come out actually running the 370 on a track those comments will come out..

Let's just be patient and see.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:38 AM
zman1910

Arnold, I definitely agree with you. My 04Z enthusiast weighed in at 3220lb and my 06Z weighed in at 3260, both with ~3/4 tank gas. I don't have any of the slips but I'm positive others have weighed in around those weights as well just from being on this forum for quite some time now. They're around here somewhere, you just have to search. I'm sure some others will chime in...

Another thing to keep in mind is that scales aren't all made the same but I highly doubt there is that much of a variance.

I'm curious to see the weight of a base model 370Z.. bc I can see bigger brakes, rims, tires, VLSD and aero kits causing this weight increase

Last edited by zman1910; 11-26-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Endgame

Originally Posted by zman1910

I'm curious to see the weight of a base model 370Z.. bc I can see bigger brakes, rims, tires, VLSD and aero kits causing this weight increase

True, but not by the large difference Edmunds and Nissan have claimed....
Old 11-26-2008, 09:06 AM
skaterbasist

How is it completely useless when people know to weigh their cars STOCK and with fluids all full? It's not the least bit useless. Look, the fact of the matter is that Nissan LIED about the weight of the Zs. They advertised one claim, but the reality was different. Explain to me why my car title, registration, AND my own test told me that my car weighs 3250lbs, meanwhile Nissan says it weighs 3330lbs? Enlighten me. My car was bone stock, with a full tank of gas. And explain to me why other 07 and 08 owners conducted the same tests and reported the same results? There are no "exact" configurations necessary here - this isn't rocket science. You weigh a bone stock car, with a full tank of gas. That's it.

Nissan is allowed to report whatever weight number they want to the public and in their press releases, just as long as they submit the true one to the F-DOT.

So it seems like you're the one missing the point. There are no inconsistencies in our weigh-ins. They have all been consistent in procedure and results, actually, repeatedly showing us that 03-05s weigh 30-40lbs less (going hand-in-hand with Nissan's numbers), and 06-08s weighing on average 3230lbs (depending on trim). Again, the only 3300+ Z I've seen so far was Solo's Nismo Z, which is consistent with what Edmunds weighed the car at.

So I'll say it again, Nissan BSed the weights of the 06+Zs to the public to make the 09Z look like it's lost weight. I've been saying it since day one, and I fully stand by my theory. Until somebody weighs in their own Touring 09 Z and gets a figure that's less than 3250, the car gained weight over the 06-08.
Again, for the 10th time, you're missing my point. Its useless for COMPARISON. You introduce different variables when people start weighing their own cars. Do you happen to know how Nissan weighs their vehicles with 100% accuracy?

You can go by your theory (& "conspiracy"). But until there's actual credible proof that the 370Z weighs more than the 350Z touring, I'll take Nissan's word for it. And by proof I mean comparing them on the same scale side by side with the same amount of fluids and the same variables applied.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:12 AM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by trebien
You've said this over and over again, and I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. But I only hear this from you, not any other OWNERS (fanbois need not apply).

So please show:
  1. These other users
  2. Their weigh slips
  3. Proof/Acknowledgement that all fluids were topped off/COMPLETELY STOCK
  4. Proof/Acknowledgement that the scales used were verified and calibrated

I am truly interested, and would love to give credence to your theory. Thanks.
1) Gooey (07 6spd Enthusiast), Aj Cool (2004 5AT Touring), my co-worker (07 5AT Touring). There are others, but I can't recall them all.

2) I'll take their word for it. They're all pretty credible people here, I'm not going to hunt them down for it.

3) Again, pretty credible and not stupid people. Gooey and AJ Cool are very well known. And I vouch for my co-worker's 07, it's bone stock to the tires.

4) Uhh, a little excessive don't you think? Shouldn't it be proof enough that the scales are calibrated fine since we all got the same results despite using different scales? Or is your new rebuttal that all of the scales are all off by the same calibration error?

I'm not going to go all out and complete your list of proof to convince you. I know what I know, as do the others I mentioned, you can choose to believe us or not. It's up to you. I'm the only vocal one about this subject because I choose to be, doesn't mean it's isolated.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:58 AM
trebien

1) Gooey (07 6spd Enthusiast), Aj Cool (2004 5AT Touring), my co-worker (07 5AT Touring). There are others, but I can't recall them all.
What were the weights?

My comment about the scales is because even 1% error is 30+ pounds. And a 1/4 tank of gas is 30 pounds.

I have to be ****, because we're talking about a few pounds here and there, and it adds up.

Most normal owners aren't going to ever weigh their car. The people that DO tend to weigh there car are enthusiasts... usually because they are going to a track. And if you are going to a track, your car probably isn't stock... and you're going to make it as light as possible. Even an aftermarket exhaust can drop significant weight. Was the spare included (40 pounds)? Etc...

Like I said, I am truly neutral and very open to your theory. But until decent evidence is provided, I am more inclined to put credence into the magazine tests where they weigh a TRULY stock, unmolested car on certified scales. And those numbers back up manufacturer specs.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:33 AM
bghoward

Why would nissan lie about the weights? Especially by overstating them? There are so many variables that come into play when weighing vehicles; has the scale been properly calibrated recently. Are all fluids topped off? etc. A full tank of gas weighs 130 lbs, thats huge. An 03-04 with a full tank can weigh more than an 07-08 with an empty tank. Unless you weigh your car with a completely full tank it's hard to tell exactly how much gas you really have.

Also don't forget that the numbers nissan publishes are AVERAGES individual cars are going to vary slightly due to manufacturing differences.

What I want to know is what is the weight of the touring + sport package incl. navigation. That is probably the configuration the mags are listing the 3300+ lbs at. I want to know what a base + sports package is going to weigh in at.

Also something that always struck as odd when comparing curb weights of other vehicles is that the Z has a very large gas tank, especially for a sports car and it has a full size spare. If nissan wanted to reduce weight, why not just drop 5 gallons from the tank, give us fix-a-flat and an 800 hundred number? Those two alone would be worth another 70-80 lbs.

Z = 20 gallons, 130lbs topped off
s2000 = 13 gallons, 84.5 lbs topped off
cayman = 16 gallons, 104 lbs topped off
corvette = 18 gallons, 117 lbs topped off
Old 11-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Zero

You can add another 20+ lbs for an OW American driver.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:50 PM
whitecomet

I gotta say the 370z shoud not be disapointing we always want more power 13.4 is fast heck 350z was 14.0 in 2003.

Yes its only .2 faster thatn a nizmo z 13.6 but I hate to say the vq3.7 is not much stronger than the hr yes it has 25hp more but by several reviews sounds like it's strained. I feel they should work on the engine to get it up to around 350hp -360by upgrading the internals to run smother get better mpg and make more power. And no this is not a big request heck 100-120hp per liter power has been out forever even at 350-360 hp is 94-97hp per ltr and I feel will offer the acceleration everyone was expecting. I honestly feel it as is can run 13.3 as is and thats in line with my calculation being 400lbs less that say a g37 with the same motor gearing drag etc. with a little engine refinement netting more power 13.2 -13.1 is realistic with 350-360hp and to be frank I am disapointed they did not work on the motor tu up the 370z and then next year give it's engine to the g cars

AS far as braking and hadeling its were I expected and I gotta say it's very good. Braking is world class and will not lose ground to any car cornering is very high also Better rubber I bet could help it hit 1.0 g and that's impressive stock suspension or not. Dont' look to much into the slalom yes it oes not hit 70.0 mpgh again tires can help and the car is wider and that hurts slalom speed but helps real cornering situations that's why some hight end exotics don't hit 70.0 wither due to being wide but in real cornering speed Im sure it is much faster than the 350.

Last but not least for 30k this car is a gift yeas I would like to see more juice in the form of a more refined motor resulting in 13.1-13.2 times All in all out of the box I feel confident in saying as far as performance the 370 stack above the bmw 135i at th track which is 2-3 seconds a lap slower than the evo x despite way more speed it will also take out the sti in my opinion. And what about the evo x and its razor handeling how does the z stack up big question. Well the chevy cobalt can beat the evo x on some tracks due to the evox having less top end than previous evos yet a evo x is as fast or faster than the evo 9 on some tracks due to handeling. I feel the majority of tracks the evo x will lose to the z due to the z being a faster car and having even better handeling than the 350 the hanlin gap is not enough for the evo to end up ahead. And for anyone who disagress I own a 2008 wicked white evo x and love the car and yes I could be wrong but my calculations are often dead on. the z with 135i level acelaration and much better handeling make for a car that will beat a porche caymen and a 2008 caymen s I feel can be surpased as far as a 2009 cayman S with 320hp and now having a lsd on a very well done setup no the 370z can not beat that car if it had a revamped engine even if just smother out and had 350hp I feel it would be too close to call that could make up for porsche crossed gearing refinemt etc. This car will own all in it s price realm caymen s and the likes of corvette the vette cars are boring to drive I like cars with more dynamic feel than that. I wish I waited to tey the new z myself I migh wven get one in a few years my evo is grat but I enjoy the feel or rwd more and would like some more refinemt in my car The evo always reminds me it's econo.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:34 PM
350zQ45a

I miss the 90s JDM cars..

The Z is just getting back to very similar numbers in all aspects to the 94 Toyota Supra. I know those cars were more money in absolute terms, just reminiscing. RX7, Supra, ZX, NSX.. Amazing performers and real values compared to what you had to pay for similar performance... NSX is of course debatable

Looking back those were amazing machines...
Old 11-26-2008, 09:59 PM
trebien

Originally Posted by whitecomet
I gotta say... ...it's econo.
Wow. Technically perfect and grammatically horrid. Welcome... you should be able to contribute on many levels.

Originally Posted by 350zQ45a

Yes they were. A 15 year old RX-7 would not look out of place in a Mazda dealership right now, nor would it be lacking in performance.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:42 AM
Endgame

The Z is just getting back to very similar numbers in all aspects to the 94 Toyota Supra. I know those cars were more money in absolute terms, just reminiscing. RX7, Supra, ZX, NSX.. Amazing performers and real values compared to what you had to pay for similar performance... NSX is of course debatable

Too true.... My brother in law and I were JUST talking about how the 90s turned out some of the coolest JDM cars. I miss the days of seeing pristine TT Supras and RX7s ....sigh.....

My head still turns REALLY quickly when I see a nice looking Supra or RX7 drive by.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:17 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I still drool over the same cars from that era...but how can you honestly say they were great values? Taking into account inflation what do you think the msrp would be for those same cars today?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:23 AM
OZ-Z

Default The new 370Z is actually $10k less than Evo or STI

Originally Posted by Z053
"A world-class sports car for the price of a Mitsubishi Evo or Subaru WRX STI."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

Summary:
- Weighs 95 pounds less than 2008 350Z
- 0-60mph in 5.1s and 1/4 mile in 13.4s
- Skid pad = 0.97g
- Handles similarly to the NISMO 350Z
Both the Evo and STI are near $40k and not worth the asking price and are not selling at all! Both are great performers but Butt ugly. Lets face it you can buy a G37, Mercedes C class, BMW 1 series that have more hP and way more luxury and breeding for less them the Japenese counterparts. What were they thinking of their price ponts?
Old 11-27-2008, 08:33 AM
SniperHunter

Wow. I'm just going to stop posting about the weight thing already since people won't read what I say and still choose to question whether a car is stock, gas tank is full, fluids topped, weight reduced, or scale in error.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:45 AM
graider

they should up the redline and make it a true 100hp/liter engine. 370hp on this car would be sick.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:02 PM
350zQ45a

I think they were values compared to against their other foreign counterparts. If you look at the numbers say the Supra put up, they were phenomenal for the money. I am too lazy to dig up the info, but I am sure they are very comparable to the 911 turbo of the day. Akin to the GTR vs 911.

They became super inflated, that is absolutely correct. I had a 96 Supra and the sticker was over 55k... and for the RX7 still the most fun car in terms of feel and handling I think I have ever driven. I still lust for one, with the 99 JDM body upgrades is classic and still modern looking.

Quick Reply: Edmunds 370Z Review