Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Gearing - the rest of the 370 performance story

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 06:46 PM
hiz-n-herz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing - the rest of the 370 performance story

I was wondering if they would change the gearing for the 370 to make it faster since it did not lose a lot of weight (94 lbs) nor gain a lot of hp (26).

I saw a shorter final drive gearing in the 370z specifications, but was not sure of the ratios of the forward gear.

I still don't have those ratios, but according to the 370z owner's manual:

Max speeds are:

1st - 38 MPH
2nd - 63 mph
3rd - 91 mph
4th and up not published

Compare to an HR 350:

1st - 46 mph
2nd - 74 mph
3rd - 105 mph

No doubt the new 370 got shorter gearing to improve acceleration. But they want you to believe it's faster from "removing 200 lbs of weight" (not mentioning the added ~100 lbs for a 100lb net loss) and "increasing horsepower". Nissan is good at playing at the marketing game. Nowhere do they mention shorter gearing.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 PM
skaterbasist

It's the same gearing as the G37 for both 7AT and 6MT.

It's a significant improvement
Old 12-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Kam350z

It's a 3.7 final drive ratio.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:30 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by Kam350z
It's a 3.7 final drive ratio.
Hmmm... And i think the 350z is a 3.538 atleast for the 6MT.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 PM
370Zfanatic

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
I still don't have those ratios, but according to the 370z owner's manual:

Max speeds are:

1st - 38 MPH
2nd - 63 mph
3rd - 91 mph
4th and up not published

Compare to an HR 350:

1st - 46 mph
2nd - 74 mph
3rd - 105 mph

No doubt the new 370 got shorter gearing to improve acceleration. But they want you to believe it's faster from "removing 200 lbs of weight" (not mentioning the added ~100 lbs for a 100lb net loss) and "increasing horsepower". Nissan is good at playing at the marketing game. Nowhere do they mention shorter gearing.
Here are the ratios for each gears
Attached Thumbnails Gearing - the rest of the 370 performance story-spec3.png  
Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by 370Zfanatic
Here are the ratios for each gears
Awesome! Thanks...
Old 12-10-2008, 01:29 AM
TomatoEvo

You guys are actually pissed Nissan gave you a better final drive ratio?

"Better" = better matched to the car in stock or slightly modifed form.

This is how the 350z's should've been geared.

Good Job Nissan.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 AM
RedSled

I'll gladly take the shorter gearing. Thanks Nissan.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:05 AM
phenix

Wonder what the speeds were for the non rev-up DE 350Zs. I'd bet all that happened here is that Nissan 'fixed' the gearing to get the speeds back in line with what the Z had before all the increases in redline.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:03 AM
westpak
SFZCC

the gear ratios stayed the same but with the higher rev limit they are able to use a shorter final drive and still make 60 mph in 2nd gear, it is all about being able to get that 0-60 time in only 2 gears, if they have to shift into 3rd the time goes to hell.

If they used that shorter FD in an 03 they would not make it, they barely did with 6600 rev limit
Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 AM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by TomatoEvo
You guys are actually pissed Nissan gave you a better final drive ratio?

"Better" = better matched to the car in stock or slightly modifed form.

This is how the 350z's should've been geared.

Good Job Nissan.
Never said I was pissed at that - I think it's great. it reminds me of the gearing in my 97 M3 2nd gear took you to 61mph even. It was a blast to drive and felt like I was always in the power band.

I am baffled at why they did not include the shorter final drive in the 350z when they went to the HR engine in 07. It's either because (a) they wanted to save the performance benefit for the next-gen Z or (b) because the 350z is not very good at maintaining traction for straight-line acceleration even with the taller gearing. Or both, I suppose.

I am hoping traction will be way better in the 370 with the shorter wheelbase - it'll be able to shift weight to the rear much better. I am not sure why the 350 doesn't have very good traction in the rear for acceleration. It just does not feel nearly as planted in the rear-end as my 97 M3 did and the M3 was wearing measly 245/40/17 tires in back. My 07 350 is wearing 275's in the back. I hope the 370 feels more e36M3-ish. The e36 is M3 is 14 year-old technology!

I don't know why Nissan leaves out that bit about lower gearing when they talk about better acceleration in the 370. They only mention reduced weight and more power.

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 12-10-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
Never said I was pissed at that - I think it's great. it reminds me of the gearing in my 97 M3 2nd gear took you to 61mph even. It was a blast to drive and felt like I was always in the power band.

I am baffled at why they did not include the shorter final drive in the 350z when they went to the HR engine in 07. It's either because (a) they wanted to save the performance benefit for the next-gen Z or (b) because the 350z is not very good at maintaining traction for straight-line acceleration even with the taller gearing. Or both, I suppose.

I am hoping traction will be way better in the 370 with the shorter wheelbase - it'll be able to shift weight to the rear much better. I am not sure why the 350 doesn't have very good traction in the rear for acceleration. It just does not feel nearly as planted in the rear-end as my 97 M3 did and the M3 was wearing measly 245/40/17 tires in back. My 07 350 is wearing 275's in the back. I hope the 370 feels more e36M3-ish. The e36 is M3 is 14 year-old technology!

I don't know why Nissan leaves out that bit about lower gearing when they talk about better acceleration in the 370. They only mention reduced weight and more power.
o u

i can kinda help with your "planted" question. you do know that the Z out of the factory comes with negative camber right? if you are lowered and never got alignment you are running even more negative camber. get alignment and even dial it in a bit more if you want a lot of straight line traction. cant wait to see good drivers pull into the 12's with a stock 370.

no offense but you come off as a hater and cry baby. i have an 04 and have much respect for the HR and 370. I know for a fact, stock for stock both cars are superior to mine. I applaud Nissan for making improvements constantly it seems. DE, Revup, HR now a 370z. I just dont see any reason to hate on Nissan. They are all part of the family. So no reason to be jealous or resentful, it all about evolution to make a good product better, the better product great.

Last edited by Nexx; 12-10-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:03 AM
supergoji

i hope nissan offers the 4.083 diff as a nismo upgrade hehe...
i also hope the vvel parts can take an 8,000rpm+ redline haha.

i wouldn't think straightline traction would be a problem for na 350z's or 370z's. thats more of an issue for twin turbo 300zx's with the same mods lol.

Last edited by supergoji; 12-10-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:32 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by Nexx

no offense but you come off as a hater and cry baby. i have an 04 and have much respect for the HR and 370. I know for a fact, stock for stock both cars are superior to mine. I applaud Nissan for making improvements constantly it seems. DE, Revup, HR now a 370z. I just dont see any reason to hate on Nissan. They are all part of the family. So no reason to be jealous or resentful, it all about evolution to make a good product better, the better product great.
Oh no you didn't. It's on now! jk . I know I might sound like a hater, but I prefer to use the word critical. I am not sure if I would call Nissan family. They are on the same team as us. Family would be more forthcoming about upcoming models, specs, when they'll be released, etc). Family would treat us better in the warranty department.

When I bought my e36 (97) M3 in 1999, I already knew what was coming up in the 2001 e46 and made a conscious decision to get the e36. I never wanted for the e46 because it was a lot more expensive and I did not like the increased weight. I was happy with my e36 for .

I am just trying to determine if I should continue to dump money into my 07 or if I should get a 370 and build on that platform. With the ecomomy the way it is, I think a GTR is not a smart option for me at this point. I still like the 350 looks better than the 370, but having a Z that pulls .97 or .99 g's and brakes from 60 mph between 101 feet and 106 feet with factory ride characteristics is pretty tempting. I also really like the sound of the SynchroRev Match tranny - can't wait to try it. I am into twisties more than straight-line.

The 350 has limited straight-line traction and limited traction coming out of corners. I am not lowered, I am still all stock on the suspension. Maybe that's why I have traction issues. In corners, I think too much weight is transfered to the outside wheels and the inside wheel spins easily. So I could mod my 350 suspension to get it dialed in, but then it would ride pretty roughly. Maybe the 370 is already there?

Things I can't necessarily fix on the 350z that I hope are fixed in the 370:

- Brake-pad knockback from running weak wheel bearings
- Soft brake-pedal feel unless you pump the brakes (I have the brembos)
- The steering wheel and chassis shaking back and forth if you hit a bump on one side of the car - I think in part due to the two-piece lower wishbone suspension, part due to negative camber in the rear.
- 2nd gear crunch with the m/t Every m/t Nissan I have owned does this (Even my Xterra does this)
- on/off clutch engagement in the m/t - engagement needs to be more linear
- rear-end not buttoned down to my taste (I think a shorter wheelbase would help, but the wider track will not.

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 12-10-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:13 PM
vnarang

coolio.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:44 AM
big gixx

lol?

^fix brakes, air in lines^^

- The steering wheel and chassis shaking back and forth if you hit a bump on one side of the car - I think in part due to the two-piece lower wishbone suspension, part due to negative camber in the rear.
^anti roll bars have nothing to do with this XD^

- 2nd gear crunch with the m/t Every m/t Nissan I have owned does this (Even my Xterra does this)
^second gear gets broken often if you cant launch correctly. second gear grind is NOT common.

^if you think the oem clutch isnt linear wait till you try an aftermarket *faceroll*

- rear-end not buttoned down to my taste (I think a shorter wheelbase would help, but the wider track will not.[/QUOTE]
im not even going to touch that one lol.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:17 AM
07_350z_JP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big gixx

lol?

^fix brakes, air in lines^^

^anti roll bars have nothing to do with this XD^

^second gear gets broken often if you cant launch correctly. second gear grind is NOT common.

^if you think the oem clutch isnt linear wait till you try an aftermarket *faceroll*

- rear-end not buttoned down to my taste (I think a shorter wheelbase would help, but the wider track will not.
im not even going to touch that one lol.[/QUOTE]

If you ever drove any BMW for an exteded period you would understand --- I like my Z but having 15+ years of owning 20+ BMWs (e30s/e28s/e36s/e34/e39) the type of things said above are immediately noticeable in the Z. BTW i jumped to the Z because I hate everything in BMWs lineup right now. The driving experience is gone.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:04 AM
DriveI65

For autocrossing, the change in gearing is a step backwards.

In an 03 I was shifting to 3rd in fast sections and that would be one more aw sh*t point in a run to worry about. In my 08 there has only been one course all year that I needed to shift and it was made out of a road course.

If the chart is right then the 11 mph difference ( 63 vs. 74 ) is a pretty significant loss of capability when thousandths count.

Add that to the 19" wheels which screws you for R-Compounds and the 370Z is looking less capable than a 08 350Z. I'll try it if the opportunity comes along. Maybe I'll be surprised.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:43 PM
RBA-350Z

Originally Posted by DriveI65
For autocrossing, the change in gearing is a step backwards.

In an 03 I was shifting to 3rd in fast sections and that would be one more aw sh*t point in a run to worry about. In my 08 there has only been one course all year that I needed to shift and it was made out of a road course.

If the chart is right then the 11 mph difference ( 63 vs. 74 ) is a pretty significant loss of capability when thousandths count.

Add that to the 19" wheels which screws you for R-Compounds and the 370Z is looking less capable than a 08 350Z. I'll try it if the opportunity comes along. Maybe I'll be surprised.
I realize it would be a bit of a hull but if you want to come up to Nashville sometime this spring, I'll let you take out my 370 on the Autox course and you can see what you think (as long as you promise not to break it of course).
Old 12-11-2008, 04:18 PM
DriveI65

Originally Posted by RBA-350Z
I realize it would be a bit of a hull but if you want to come up to Nashville sometime this spring, I'll let you take out my 370 on the Autox course and you can see what you think (as long as you promise not to break it of course).
Thanks for the offer and I'll take you up on it. I run quite a bit in Nashville. When we ran the road course 2 weekends in November that was the only time I got into 3rd all year. I also belong to the TN SCCA region. In 2009 I'm Solo Chairman in Huntsville and you're invited to come down and run with Tennessee Valley region also.

Quick Reply: Gearing - the rest of the 370 performance story