Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Got to Test Drive a 370Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 AM
rockinbboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got to Test Drive a 370Z

So I dropped my Z off for an oil change and saw they had two 370s. Both were stick and the one outside was with Nav. It had the sport package so I was quite eager to try it out. Talked to a sales rep, and all things were to go.

Exterior:
The car looks exactly like it does on the pictures and with the spoiler in the back it is nearly identical to the current 350Z in terms of just the overall shape. The obvious differences are the rear lights and headlamps. I like the headlamps and they look good. Front is also nice and I don't mind the whaleshark look so much. I noticed that for front plates it is no longer part of the bumber which is nice. You just screw into the grill area.

The rear taillamps are okay to me. I personally don't like how it sticks out. Doesn't seem flush with the rest of the body like our current 350Z. The LEDs inside also look like its setup like a staircase which I don't like. I thought it would look more linear.

interior
Interior is a nice upgrade as shown in the pictures. The new gauge meter on the left for fuel, miles range, etc is alright, but I feel it takes your eyes off the road more than the current 350Z if you need to look something up while driving. The tac and speedo gage are astetically pleasing. Very nice update. The tripod gages are good too as it shows oil temp, batter volt, and clock. I am not sure how I feel about the clock as its own gage. I think its a waste of a good gage. Not to mention that clock display IS HUGE!! not sure if there is a way to adjust the size of that.

The drive
So I took this bad boy for a spin and I didn't want to push it too hard. I did some normal driving and with the occassional flooring but only to 5k to 6k max if that. Power delivery was good but wasn't like it felt like a rocket. I've never driven the 306HP HR engines either SO all I have to compare is to my current Z. I felt it was very similar to my current Z. I am sure this car will be feeling lot stronger once the engine is broken in. The transmission shifts were smooth and I can tell you the S-mode was just awesome. I loved it and it was very quick with rev-matching. It is a great feature on the car and the biggest advantage it has.

Overall, I think if you are looking for a 370Z, go for it. As far as a 350Z vs 370Z I think its just opinions and personal preference. I felt the facts of the 370Z didn't sell me this car after driving it. It didn't feel as fast as I thought it was going to be.

Maybe down the road if I had the urge to update, I might consider it due to the new options that are a nice upgrade.

Anyone was wondering, i drove a red 370Z. Well, carry-on..let the debates continue
Old 03-16-2009, 11:41 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

Thanks for the review.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:18 PM
SnakeBitten

Wow you have an 06 with just filters and you didnt feel a marked difference in acceleration with teh 370z I expected that from HR owners that test out the 370z but not pre HR Z dudes. Interesting. Probably due to not being able to push it near redline it. I would love to get a test drive but the dumb dealers here in Brooklyn/LI wont give testdrives. Good review man.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:32 PM
kral

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
It didn't feel as fast as I thought it was going to be.
I saw a vid 370z vs RSX-s I/H/E/etc.. (only vids you can find so far), they were neck to neck mostly..at about 90mph or so the 370z took off. At the same time, 350z vs RSX-s that I've seen yielded similar results...
I'm sure its faster but not *that* much faster...
Old 03-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Heps

Oh rsx
Old 03-16-2009, 03:44 PM
AndreZ Cadena

I went from a 03 z to the 370 and the engine was the last thing I was excited about, yes I love the engine, but thats not the best part of the car. Did you feel how comfortable the ride was and how sick it takes corners? Did you feel the awsome brakes? Did you notice the sick *** tranny with the awsome SynchroRev? When I test drove the 370 I also didnt push it; #1 the engine isnt broken is, #2 thats gonna be someones baby, but that helped me notice all the other improvements... I love this car.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:45 PM
pingbling23

kral, you just did it, you brought back the rsx.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:00 PM
kral

My bad fellas. It's the only race I found online... You gotta give it though, it has good potential responding to a few bolt-ons. Obviously weight plays a role too. But anyways, hands down to the 350/370z. I wish I had a 370z hearing all these improvements. I'm stuck with a DE for now.
When you guys say the 370z handling is much more improved than the 350z, is it drastically different or is it that the 350z has more roll?
Old 03-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Stanky19

i too went down to the local dealer for a test drive. Some background on me is; I am heavily involved in the motor-sports industry, being a professional racecar driver by trade, i've driven/raced many different types of formula cars (up to an Indy Lights car), as well as some Rolex Grand Am GT cars @ this years 24HR of Daytona, raced for spoon sports in a JDM 08 Civic Type R, and various sports cars (not the least of which is frequently the Audi R8 as i instruct at the Audi Sportscar Experience in Sonoma, CA.) Having said that, i feel the new Z is a huge step up from our beloved 350's. I have an 06 with almost all i can do bolt on wise minus a utec, and pullys without going internal to the motor and or power adder, plus coilovers, sway bars, endlinks, toe bars, ect. ect. The biggest most noticable difference is the chassis. The 370 makes the 350 feel like my old mustang that liked to twist under torque load. Power wise, only going up to 6500 it felt pretty strong, very linear, but not quite as strong as my modded 350 (and based on the linear power band, it wont get much better in the extra 1000 rpms or so). The response on the motor was a tad sluggish, tho i feel that once broken in and some form on intake derestriction will correct that. Synchromesh (of which i was highly skeptical) was a nice surprise, and my hat's off to nissan for not engineering a gimmicky doo-dad that is less than useful when the car is being driven hard. The blips are nicely timed with the movement of the clutch in unison with your hand. I would definitely order a 370 with this option!

The 370 does exhibit a fair bit of roll when used hard in a corner, but the car is much more composed at the limit compared to the slightly twitchy nature of the 350 (which u end up driving on the diff most of the time).

What does all this mumbo jumbo mean???

Nissan gets approval from me in the engineering of the 370, it's not a gimmick. The 370 is the real deal, more POTENTIAL to be a sports car than our 350's, though if you come from a modified 350, the differences will be tough to feel as it's not THAT much better in stock form (duh!). Add some mods and you're in business! Can't wait to see how some of these shop cars turn out, but the upgrade in chassis alone is worth it....

Last edited by Stanky19; 03-22-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: not to sound like a retard with my typing skillz
Old 03-22-2009, 05:32 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kral
I saw a vid 370z vs RSX-s I/H/E/etc.. (only vids you can find so far), they were neck to neck mostly..at about 90mph or so the 370z took off. At the same time, 350z vs RSX-s that I've seen yielded similar results...
I'm sure its faster but not *that* much faster...

If this is tounge in cheek, it's pure comedic genius.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 AM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by AndreZ Cadena
I went from a 03 z to the 370 and the engine was the last thing I was excited about, yes I love the engine, but thats not the best part of the car. Did you feel how comfortable the ride was and how sick it takes corners? Did you feel the awsome brakes? Did you notice the sick *** tranny with the awsome SynchroRev? When I test drove the 370 I also didnt push it; #1 the engine isnt broken is, #2 thats gonna be someones baby, but that helped me notice all the other improvements... I love this car.
1. Ride comfort was good, but I the roads were pretty smooth to begin with so too hard to say. Didn't feel stiff to say the least.
2. Brakes were good, but then again mine are OEM non-brembo brakes while the 370Z comes with bigger brakes.
3. SynchroRev like I said worked like a charm. I approve that 100%

gaaah...I am trying to get visions of me driving a 370 in the future out of my head.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Steven622
Banned

I drove one yesterday at Boulder Nissan. I could see myself driving one, but I couldn't justify spending 10-20k over my car to get one.

When they bring a different engine that puts out more power I might consider it, but until then, I wouldn't.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:08 AM
blazed54

Also agree that the 370z is very nice in person. Nissan did the Z name right and the 370z is better in every way over the 350z. The same CAN'T be said for the g37. G35 is much better looking than the g37.

That being said of the new Z, I still find myself thinking "damn that's a hot car" everytime I look at my 07Z. I may very well get the 370z a couple years down the line but as of now I have no regrets not waiting for the 370z.