Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

370Z - the sloppy jalopy

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Gee.Janus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 370Z - the sloppy jalopy

Hmmmmm, have had my Z for 23 days now and have just come back from my second run on an infamous 20 mile , little used, (been superceeded by a boring 6 lane freeway) twisty highway between Berowra and Gosford, near Sydney. For those who dont know its 20miles of twisty dual carriage highway with plenty of tight sweepers, decreasing radius turns, chicanes and other good stuff , mostly cambered the right way, that cuts into cliffs, traverses rivers, that is legendary amongst motorcyclists and sports cars enthusiasts alike here in Sydney. Spotted two Lotus' - an elise and an evora going the other way and a smattering of ducatis.

I am less than impressed by the stock Z's (sports and touring package) suspension set up. Don't get me wrong, by ordinary car standards it is ok, but it bounced bobbed and weaved its way around 30 mph corners at 60mph wherever its less than a perfect slab of black.

I guess the manufacturers have to mostly cater for comfort over handling - the Nismo is not available here yet - and I guess it gives me something to do to sharpen it up - new dampers, springs, sway bars.

Comments? Whats you favourite place to go hard where u live?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can not believe you put that in your thread title.

also: what do you think about Brisbane?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:46 PM
350ZToeRing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ no doubt! And if your not impressed with the stock suspension....

...HELLO AFTERMARKET
Old 10-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Gee.Janus

The title is just a tilt to get some reaction.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Gee.Janus

Brisbane? Its a nice place. Have a few mates up there. its a lot better then it was some years ago, been there a few times on business etc. They drink this funny beer though - xxxx (four ex). :-)
Old 10-23-2009, 12:43 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good times.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:26 AM
duro78

look at what your comparing it too. Think about what the z is. Tell me what car performs like a z that has a price tag in the mid twenties. You are asking way too much out of the car. Its a good performer and has a very good platform to exceed its limitations with a little after market support. Its sounds like your gripes are more personal preference than anything else. What other mid level sports car do you know that can hang with the big boys and even exceed with a few thousand $. Suspension upgrades arent expensive
Old 10-23-2009, 03:00 AM
Gee.Janus

yes duro, I agree, its a good base platform. the wideneing shortening and lightening (though only goes back to what early 350z's were doing) makes for a good platform.

I'm just giving my honest feedback on the base car.... Hype vs. Reality.

For the price point the fair-dinkum motoring critics the world over are giving it the 'thumbs up'. "A huge amount of car for the $" I wouldn't have shelled out on it otherwise. *My critique still stands though* . You could argue, "well go get a nismo and shut the eff up". Yes. please send me one. ha ha.

I love some of the things you guys have done to yours, eg. from the posts from AEPerformance and the gorgeous Monterey Blue Z w/Black Volks wheels...mmmmm Black Volks...

the mods that I'll do to improve her, I'll post and then give you my honest feedback on how they change the experience on the same slab.....
Old 10-23-2009, 03:12 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess you didn't read this before you bought the car?

https://my350z.com/forum/370z-brakes...sion-rant.html
Old 10-23-2009, 03:24 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

OP I know what your looking for it can be had in the 07/08 Nismo...

lmao I'm sorry I had too...

yet as one already mention aftermarket parts i.e. stiffer suspension/swaybars and BOOM tuff acting tinactin gets rid of that unwanted body roll...

enjoy the search...
Old 10-23-2009, 03:37 AM
Gee.Janus

Nah, didn't read that before you mentioned it. I have to concur my sentiments with roast though. He's a lot more eloquent in describing it.

Need to keep it in perspective...it wouldn't have changed my mind about getting the Z.

To me a real sports car has to evoke an emotional response just from resting my eyes upon her, like a good woman.

As noted by duro, it ain't hard to upgrade the basic formula of air intake, ECU, exhaust, suspension, torsional stiffness, wheels, rubber.
Geez, in the old days we had to do a lot of fiddling with strobe lights on the timing hole to get BTDC set, actually experimenting with changing jets in the carbs to match extractor exhaust headers and doing plug-chops to test for air/fuel mixture.
Holy transistors Batman, these days just reprogram an ECU!

Just goes to show I'm not alone in this critique.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 AM
scrapser

After test driving the 370 I was not impressed by how it looks, sounds, or drives. The issues with looks are academic and have been pointed out countless times in other threads. The sound...well, it's simply not there anymore. It drives like a Buick (nice and soft). This is my opinion naturally.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:03 PM
ctzn
inquisative

I couldn't agree less, I have nearly 10k miles on mine, nearly 2k of those are on tight, bendy, curvaceous roads and have found it to be head and shoulders better than my 350, and quite composed and tight at that. Perhaps you got a different suspension set up in the different market to better suit the roads down there.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Gee.Janus

yes, CTZN, I have increasingly noticed that there are differences in the models supplied to different markets. Its clear in the owners manual, in the one I have anyway , where they talk about differences in the USA, Mexico, Europe, Aussie, Russian etc. models.

I've not seen any specs , for example spring rating for different markets, but I suspect roads in the USA , for axample , are probably smoother overall than here, and that influences that 'shop floor' settings for each market.

That in itself would make an interseting field of investigation.

I know a lot of manufacturers, especially japanese, have test circuits in Australia as its generally a harsh environment for cars with dust, suspect road quality (i.e. a lot roads here are of poor condition or secondary class quality), uneven surfaces, extreme temperatures and so forth.

I guess they figure if their cars can cope with the aussie outback then they are sweet for everyone else.

Its also my first Z car..., I am still comparing it to a fully tweaked RX7 that was more happy on the track than on public roads for handling and the raw power of my old Jensen Interceptor III 440 cu Chrysler donk.

Overall I am pretty happy, that said...the suspension is the main area of tweaking I will be dong in the months to come.

Am enjoying the forum...its all good, guys....
Old 10-24-2009, 06:48 AM
Word Sux

stillen sway bars + eibach spring $600ish

problem solved
Old 10-24-2009, 04:06 PM
black06z

Coilovers + Black Volks/Tire package
Old 11-12-2009, 06:46 PM
paposalsa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nismo is not available over there so I guess he is upset.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wakka wakka
Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 AM
pulpz2

Jsut picked mine up tuesday night at Lou Fusz in St. Louis. Drove it to Ohio that night.

And I have to say, this 370Z is much improved over my 03' 350z in terms of feedback thru driver inputs (steering wheel, drivers seat, brakes, clutch pedal, and shifter).

The 350Z felt somewhat numb at higher speeds, given a feeling of uncertainty and making lateral transitions on curvy roads, etc. Which is why I went with the Hotchkis springs/sways.

Teh 370Z is more refined. Dampening and suspension preload is much better, making the small amount of body roll much more tolerable. I have not yet been able to push to the limits, but I can say that I will feel confident when i do.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:19 PM
orangeflash

the 370z sucks so bad!!!!! 370z = FTL EPIC FAIL you 370z J/K

Last edited by orangeflash; 12-10-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 370Z - the sloppy jalopy