Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Oh no! Consumer Reports smacks ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:52 AM
cwerdna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to post the reliability chart (since the April 2011 auto issue just came out) but found this thread already. The current I was going to post is identical to the one posted by the OP in terms of ratings.
Originally Posted by hellsy
I am sorry if this question was asked before, but what are these "models" compared to? How do they come up with the value, better. Is it being compared to the 2008 350Z?
Originally Posted by davidv
Its statistics. Standard deviation from the mean. "Predicted reliability," I assume, comes from trend analysis. Not sure how you establish a 370Z reliability trend based on 1 year of data.
The bottom of http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...-406/index.htm shows the problem rate for an average car for a given model year.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...faq_ov.htm#1.4 might also be insightful regarding the survey, as it involves problems in a 12 month window of time, for a given car.

Since I own an older Z and haven't watched the 370Z section of the board at all, I am curious to see if people w/370Zs have had trouble on those identified as trouble spots.

In earlier years when the 350Z was still new, the 03 and 04s for instance, had terrible reliability ratings for suspension (no doubt due to the infamous feathering issue) and transmission (I'd seen so many people go through at least one manual transmission). So, the results for the time, seemed quite accurate.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 AM
cwerdna

Originally Posted by Steve-O Z33
The surveys/reports were probably filed by people who never even do maintenance on a car. I hear a lot of people bitching and whining about the reliability of these cars and I have never had an issue.
I've found CR reliability ratings to be generally pretty accurate. I seriously doubt that the solid black dots for the 09 on engine cooling, squeaks and rattles, body hardware, paint/trim could all be due to lack of maintenance. Same goes for the not the best ratings for power equipment and audio system.

As I posted, I am very curious to hear if 09 370Z common probs experienced by owners here concur w/what CR reports for the 09.

FWIW, on my 04 Z, both power windows failed long ago, fortunately both under warranty. Around that time (don't look at this chart since they only represent a recent 12 months of ownership, not back when I had my power window motors replaced), the CR ratings on the 04 for either body hardware or power equipment were quite bad.

It's very possible for a set of problems to manifest themselves in a window of time, all/mostly get fixed under warranty (and thus get reported in the survey) and then the improved parts are better/don't fail.

Last edited by cwerdna; 03-08-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:11 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cwerdna
As I posted, I am very curious to hear if 09 370Z common probs experienced by owners here concur w/what CR reports for the 09.

These problems may not be "common", but they've popped up repeatedly on other 370z forums.

- Steering wheel lock sensor failure, keeps car from starting until replaced (yes, you will have to be towed to the dealer)

- ECU "whine" (high pitched frequency) coming from the ECU itself which can be heard in the cabin while the car is moving. Requires ECU replacement

- Fuel Starvation when taking a hard right turn with one quarter tank or under- all gas shifts away from fuel sensor/siphon due to design of gas tank. Car stalls, wait a minute and crank it back up. No known fix other than "don't take hard right turns with a quarter tank of gas". If you track the car, keep a gas jug handy. I'm not making this up.

- Throttle lag issues when oil temps get above 220(ish)+. VVEL may/may not be the cause. The ECU cuts throttle response to keep "damage" from happening to the engine at higher oil temps. So far, the only fix seems to be going with a new engine management system, but that also seems hit-and-miss.

- Rotor glazing/scoring under hard (track type) braking scenarios, leading to possible brake failure

- Drivers side seat wobbles in base models, requires a dealer fix

- Oil consumption requiring a new short block if the car fails an oil consumption test according to TSB guidelines

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:34 PM
drivessidewayz

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
These problems may not be "common", but they've popped up repeatedly on other 370z forums.

- Steering wheel lock sensor failure, keeps car from starting until replaced (yes, you will have to be towed to the dealer)

- ECU "whine" (high pitched frequency) coming from the ECU itself which can be heard in the cabin while the car is moving. Requires ECU replacement

- Fuel Starvation when taking a hard right turn with one quarter tank or under- all gas shifts away from fuel sensor/siphon due to design of gas tank. Car stalls, wait a minute and crank it back up. No known fix other than "don't take hard right turns with a quarter tank of gas". If you track the car, keep a gas jug handy. I'm not making this up.

- Throttle lag issues when oil temps get above 220(ish)+. VVEL may/may not be the cause. The ECU cuts throttle response to keep "damage" from happening to the engine at higher oil temps. So far, the only fix seems to be going with a new engine management system, but that also seems hit-and-miss.

- Rotor glazing/scoring under hard (track type) braking scenarios, leading to possible brake failure

- Oil consumption requiring a new short block if the car fails an oil consumption test according to TSB guidelines

Oh, is that all?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 PM
cwerdna

Thanks! A few of those definitely correspond to some trouble spots in CR (like engine minor, body hardware and maybe enginge cooling) but others don't or could be miscategorized, while a few others I doubt most people would hit.

The fuel starvation issue is nuts. Is it fairly easy to repro it while not tracking the car? If so and one has personally hit the condition while not on a track, I'd file a safety complaint w/NHTSA at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ (you can find it if going to www.safercar.gov). It could eventually cause an investigation and a recall.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what actually works on these cars? Jesus.....
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Teufel
So what actually works on these cars? Jesus.....
The grappling hook! Duuuhhh!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:35 AM
danisr1
Sleeps in 350Z

CR loves the revup engine
Old 03-09-2011, 10:58 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 1/4 tank hard right turn issue affects most if not all G/Z's in existence. I never let mine get below 1/4 tank so I'd never know -- too much at stake with the twins to be going lean.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:29 AM
cheshirecat79

Originally Posted by djamps
The 1/4 tank hard right turn issue affects most if not all G/Z's in existence. I never let mine get below 1/4 tank so I'd never know -- too much at stake with the twins to be going lean.
Would like to hear more about this problem on 350s and g35s, please. Your post is the first I've seen about it not being limited to the 370's fuel tank design.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Junkster

Would like to hear more about this problem on 350s and g35s, please. Your post is the first I've seen about it not being limited to the 370's fuel tank design.
this

I take my HR to e alot....and i have taken some hard corners in both directions and never had any issue....
Old 03-09-2011, 12:07 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had this one on my 2011 Nismo. I thought I was going crazy. So next time I here it I will look a bit closer now.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:09 AM
cheshirecat79

Originally Posted by cdoxp800
I have had this one on my 2011 Nismo. I thought I was going crazy. So next time I here it I will look a bit closer now.

It's almost like it's coming from the glove box area (which is near where the ECU sits).

Nissan has recognized it as a problem and will replace the ECU to fix the squealing.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Junkster

Originally Posted by cdoxp800

I soooo wish i could here as good as you could...
Old 03-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Crap, my brakes are fading and I live on the right side of the road.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:09 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cwerdna
I've found CR reliability ratings to be generally pretty accurate. I seriously doubt that the solid black dots for the 09 on engine cooling, squeaks and rattles, body hardware, paint/trim could all be due to lack of maintenance. Same goes for the not the best ratings for power equipment and audio system.

FWIW, on my 04 Z, both power windows failed long ago, fortunately both under warranty. Around that time (don't look at this chart since they only represent a recent 12 months of ownership, not back when I had my power window motors replaced), the CR ratings on the 04 for either body hardware or power equipment were quite bad.

It's very possible for a set of problems to manifest themselves in a window of time, all/mostly get fixed under warranty (and thus get reported in the survey) and then the improved parts are better/don't fail.
Keep in mind that the 2009 is "weighted" or penalised more severely than the 2003. CR does this so potential buyers can realistically compare 2003 with 100,000 miles to a 2009 with 10,000 miles. Without the weighted data the new vehicles would always be "more reliable."
Old 03-22-2011, 12:35 PM
DivZero

In regards to people saying poor maintenance was the problem...

These are 2009 models. Really, they shouldn't need any maintenance besides oil change. Most are probably not even at 30,000 miles. Plugs, coolant, brake fluid, etc. don't need replacing yet.