Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion
View Poll Results: which one should I buy?
Nissan GTR
46.49%
BMW E92 M3
21.93%
Porsche 997 C2S
31.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

GTR or E92 M3 or 997 C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:43 AM
fallenromeo

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

This is going to be a runaway. Everyone here is going to say GTR. But for what you are looking for I would pick the M3. Nice balance of luxury and power. Very good looking, nice interior, and like others have said, we know you will make it stand out from the rest.

Im assuming you are not getting rid of your Z right? If you still have that monster then you don't really need a GTR do you?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Chineseguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fallenromeo
This is going to be a runaway. Everyone here is going to say GTR. But for what you are looking for I would pick the M3. Nice balance of luxury and power. Very good looking, nice interior, and like others have said, we know you will make it stand out from the rest.

Im assuming you are not getting rid of your Z right? If you still have that monster then you don't really need a GTR do you?
+1!!! on the you having the Monster Z. of course i disagree with the M3. Go with the Carrera.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 AM
shimz350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a really simple answer

GTR.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by shimz350z
This is a really simple answer

GTR.
GT-R nuthuggers FTL. No explanation as to why the GT-R is a better choice for him than the other 2?

He wants something that is fairly easy to mod and the GT-R is not that.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:43 AM
shimz350z

Originally Posted by Diesel350
GT-R nuthuggers FTL. No explanation as to why the GT-R is a better choice for him than the other 2?

He wants something that is fairly easy to mod and the GT-R is not that.
It really is so simple that it needs no explanation.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 AM
areddy

True!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Diesel350

Certified GT-R Nuthugger
Old 07-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

997 Ftw.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:16 AM
DoctaC

I'd say M3... it's the most practical of the 3. Although you're up north so AWD is practical... GTR? That's a tough one.

Does it have to be a coupe? What about the C-class AMG? Audi RS4?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Porsche
Old 07-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Chineseguy

Originally Posted by Alberto
Porsche
DAM Alberto! you have a high post count. i wish i had that.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:23 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

Save up for Audi R8
Old 07-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know why but I'm leaning towards the M3 a little bit right now. I've driven them all, and to me, the Porsche seems to be the most rewarding to drive, and the GTR is the fastest, but not as fun. M3 seems to be a nice middle ground.

I was actually leaning more towards the GTR...but honestly, the nuthuggers have really turned me off towards the car.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 AM
fallenromeo

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Good choice Alex. The M3 is very classy, sounds awesome, and would probably be the most comfortable drive. Even the GTR would seem slow compared to your Z.

I personally can't wait to see what an M3 would look like after you got your hands on it.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:51 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

For what its worth, here are my thoughts;

GT-R: Sure it is a Nissan, but I doubt people will associate it with cars like the Versa, in the same way people don't associate a Z06 with the Aveo. Still, the GT-R doesn't have the name cache of the other two cars.

The car is no doubt very sophisticated and dynamically well sorted, but for me, I never want to rip through the mountains and wonder if I was driving the car, or the car was driving me. On styling, the car is growing on me, but I still wouldn't consider it a beautiful or timeless design.

I wouldn't really worry about the fanboys. This car had years of hype surrounding its launch, and I think that will settle down in time. Don't forgot, of all the cars with the biggest fanboy following, sure the M3 ranks high. You're just exposed to more of the GT-R following because you're on a Nissan dominated site. You really shouldn't let that play into your decision.

As far as the aftermarket, this is still a very new car, and I think the aftermarket still needs some time to mature.

M3: My feelings on this car are mixed. On the one hand, it is one of the most heralded sports cars of all time, but on the other, one could look at it as merely a souped-up 3-Series. However, it does have some of the name cache that the GT-R lacks.

The high revving V8 is definitely a plus for this car, as is the M-tuned suspension. However, the styling of this car hasn't won me over yet, and I don't feel it has the presence of the GT-R or 911. Additionally, for the kind of money this car commands, I frankly would never want it to be confused for a standard 328i, which would be an easy mistake to make for the untrained eye.

I have to run to a meeting, so I'll post the rest later...
Old 07-29-2008, 11:58 AM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Why is the GTR going to be hard to modify? I figured factory turbo cars were the easiest to modify.

Nitrouz, it sounds like the GTR might suit your wants/ needs the best. You've been talking about that car on this forum for a while now and it sound like it really was your first pick.

Everycar has it's fanboi's. It just so happens that there is a concentrated collection of Nissan fanboi's here. I wouldn't let anyone else's opinions sway your choice of what you want.

Regardless, any car you choose is a blank canvas. There's lots of time for personalization.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
Don't know why but I'm leaning towards the M3 a little bit right now. I've driven them all, and to me, the Porsche seems to be the most rewarding to drive, and the GTR is the fastest, but not as fun. M3 seems to be a nice middle ground.

I was actually leaning more towards the GTR...but honestly, the nuthuggers have really turned me off towards the car.
The nuthuggers are relentless. LOL

You can't beat the sound of a high revving V8. That exhuast note is sex.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:17 PM
C5TT

damn alot of GTR fans her, man i`ve seen my friends GTR and we went out riding this past friday I honestly dont like it, the interior is beautful but outside dont look too good, its big as hell and bulky(looks like and suv-sports car to me). great technology but they failed on the looks department and i work for nissan hahahaha.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:59 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

My thoughts continued here:

997 Carrera S: Like the M3, I feel like there are two ways to look at this car. You could view it as a timeless, classic, refined sports car; or you could view it as being a bit too evolutionary, being somewhat overpriced (MY 2008 starts and 84,000 USD and could easily touch 100K with a few options), and a little too common.

Dynamically, the car is excellent, but I think after having a car like your Z, the 385hp engine will leave you wanting a more. In terms of styling, the car is gorgeous (IMO, its beauty is in its simplicity) and the interior is well appointed. Additionally, of the three cars you listed, this one undoubtedly has the most desirable name on the hood.

So, which one would I have? None. I'd bide my time and save up for a CPO'd 997 Turbo. The aftermarket for these cars is excellent (9ff, Ruf, TechArt, Rinspeed, Gemballa, etc.), it has all the luxury of any of the three cars you listed, it has a very-well recognized name, not to mention the all the desirable traits of the GT-R (power and AWD). And, in my opinion, it looks the ****.

I was able to take a ride in a member's 997 Turbo the other day, and I am completely sold on it. The grip is awesome, the interior is great, and the engine pulls like hell. It has everything you could ever want in a car, and with the huge array of aftermarket parts, you won't have to worry about blending in to the crowd.

However, if I had to pick one of the cars you listed, I'd probably go with the GT-R. It easily outguns the the M3 and the Carrera S and with a limited number coming to the US, you won't see yourself coming and going every time you get on the freeway. The aftermarket will be there eventually, but it needs time to develop, but in the mean time, you can enjoy it in stock form (which is still very potent).

Plus, the fanboys will love it .
Old 07-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Divergent13

Frankly I am torn! Both the 997 C2S and E92 M3 are fine, reliable German sports cars. You can't go wrong with either one! As far as performance I am not sure which is better. The M3 may have a more powerful engine but at the same time the C2S weighs only 3100 lbs! I think you are right in swaying more to the M3, since it is cheaper and offers nearly the exact same amenities and performance as the C2S. With the C2S you are really getting the name brand, but since you are going to be customizing your car I really don't think the name brand will be such a big issue.

Go for it!

Quick Reply: GTR or E92 M3 or 997 C2S?