Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:10 AM
Greg06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
are any of you buying a GTR or better yet, a 911TT or GT2 anytime soon? Then who gives a rats ***?
Very well put...
Old 10-01-2008, 05:15 AM
350zna

i throw it up to the fact that almost every review magazine has lapped the gtr faster than the 911 or they were dead close and then again look at Top gear fast lap time! GTR wins and as said by many before if this was a 1-4 sec difference then this would not be such a big deal, but 20+ sec, that is just ridiculous it is just like typical german car owners, they hate knowing a "jap" car is faster and cheaper then their "pedigree" german sports car, but i do love porsches and hope to own one day i just hope i dont turn into a douche bag.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:19 AM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Greg06
Very well put...
Do you own either vehicle? Do you plan on buying either vehicle?

Why are you even reading this section of the board?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:52 AM
Greg06

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6
Do you own either vehicle? Do you plan on buying either vehicle?

Why are you even reading this section of the board?
Firstly...Whats your problem man? Did I put you down in some way? I just agreed with another posters opinion.

Secondly... Whether I'm interested in purchasing either of these cars or not...Or what part of the forum I decide to view. Is none of your damn business.. You don't own this forum.

Thirdly. No.. Feuds like this Porsche/Nissan nonsense won't affect any decision I may or may not have about purchasing either of their offerings. I buy what "I" like.

Lastly... Relax man...This kinda Bulls**t isn't worth arguing over.

Peace.

Last edited by Greg06; 10-01-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:54 AM
Greg06

Double post.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 AM
SnakeBitten

Anyone with an open mind and an understanding of physics and how it applies to cars always had trouble with the times Nissan claims for the GTR especially given the specs[weight, power etc]. Ive always thought the GTR that ran 7:29 was a ringer. More boost and sticky tires. No proof and this Porsche attack can be construed as sour grapes. I doubt we will ever know conclusively and will come down to having faith in the MFG lol.

I love the GTR but that time continues to give me fits with the specs Nissan gives for the GTR. I believe the car is vastly underated at 480hp and may have been done just to equal Porsche 911 TT 480hp number. The Japanese have been underating cars for decades so this is no stretch. Just my opinion.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:39 AM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Anyone with an open mind and an understanding of physics and how it applies to cars always had trouble with the times Nissan claims for the GTR especially given the specs[weight, power etc]. Ive always thought the GTR that ran 7:29 was a ringer. More boost and sticky tires. No proof and this Porsche attack can be construed as sour grapes. I doubt we will ever know conclusively and will come down to having faith in the MFG lol.

I love the GTR but that time continues to give me fits with the specs Nissan gives for the GTR. I believe the car is vastly underated at 480hp and may have been done just to equal Porsche 911 TT 480hp number. The Japanese have been underating cars for decades so this is no stretch. Just my opinion.
This is true. But if they're going to be "downplaying" the actual total engine output, then my only hope is that they're consistent in providing the public with said "downplayed" engine (instead of really manufacturing them at a de-tuned level).
Old 10-01-2008, 09:17 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
You can not be more efficient than a straight RWD setup on track 13 miles long. AWD is not needed.
The nurburgring has 73 turns and a few straight a ways, one being 5 miles long, but with 73 turns AWD helps in a big way.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:58 AM
HDPDZO6

Secondly... Whether I'm interested in purchasing either of these cars or not...Or what part of the forum I decide to view. Is none of your damn business.. You don't own this forum.
You write this, but also agree with a poster who indicated those not buying or owning the cars shouldn't be concerned with ths subject... The two thoughts appear to be contradictory.

So, hopefully you see my point.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:23 AM
supra crazy

Since when does the porsche turbo come stock with Pilot sport cups? they claimed they used road tires for the porsche and stock tires on the nissan.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by zpak
This is true. But if they're going to be "downplaying" the actual total engine output, then my only hope is that they're consistent in providing the public with said "downplayed" engine (instead of really manufacturing them at a de-tuned level).

Not sure if I understand you correctly. But case in point of the underating was the Toyota Supra TT. Claimed 320hp crank but was dynoing close to 300hp. Never mind the fact that the 2jz was a severly detuned race capable motor at even 320hp. That whole gentlemen aggrement thing they had going where the mfg never listed the cars over 276hp even if they made more power. That 320hp rating for the Supra was US spec. in Japan it was rated at 276hp. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Also as mentioned one mag dynoed the GTR at around 425rwhp. That equates to way more then 480-500hp at the crank so it is underrated from the factory. Mysteriously at the same power output as its benchmark 480hp Porsche TT. Marketing ploy. If the public were actually getting a 480hp 3800lb car its performance would be quite a bit slower. Computers can only do so much.

its fun to analyze all of this but in the grand scheme of thing it dont mean much. Its not going to stop me from wanting either one of these cars.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Not sure if I understand you correctly. But case in point of the underating was the Toyota Supra TT. Claimed 320hp crank but was dynoing close to 300hp. Never mind the fact that the 2jz was a severly detuned race capable motor at even 320hp. That whole gentlemen aggrement thing they had going where the mfg never listed the cars over 276hp even if they made more power. That 320hp rating for the Supra was US spec. in Japan it was rated at 276hp. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Also as mentioned one mag dynoed the GTR at around 425rwhp. That equates to way more then 480-500hp at the crank so it is underrated from the factory. Mysteriously at the same power output as its benchmark 480hp Porsche TT. Marketing ploy. If the public were actually getting a 480hp 3800lb car its performance would be quite a bit slower. Computers can only do so much.

its fun to analyze all of this but in the grand scheme of thing it dont mean much. Its not going to stop me from wanting either one of these cars.
Now... one of the biggest variables in this that none of us know how efficient the drivetrain is so its hard to say unless someone dyno's it at the crank and then at the wheels.

The spokesman (believe he helped build the GT-R) at Zdayz said the drivetrain loss is around 10% BUT I have no idea how believable that is.

So.... who's baller enough to do what I said
Old 10-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Greg06

You write this, but also agree with a poster who indicated those not buying or owning the cars shouldn't be concerned with ths subject... The two thoughts appear to be contradictory.

So, hopefully you see my point.
Well it does look that way when you take me out of context.

My point in agreeing with that poster is..That its really pointless to argue like many in this thread have been doing...

As for contradicting myself? I re posted the part of my post which you conveniently left out below.

Thirdly. No.. Feuds like this Porsche/Nissan nonsense won't affect any decision I may or may not have about purchasing either of their offerings. I buy what "I" like.
Which means..Even though I am in the market for a new car. Possibly one of the on topic cars. I don't care about Porsche or Nissan's fight.

Respectfully you'll my point as well.

btw ( Im bored due to a freaking cold )
Now I wasn't the only one who agreed with said poster.. And why you decided to solely point me out for it? I don't know.. Even tho I used a smiley () to point out my lite heart ed response to it..

Last edited by Greg06; 10-01-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:10 AM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by blasian
The spokesman (believe he helped build the GT-R) at Zdayz said the drivetrain loss is around 10% BUT I have no idea how believable that is.

Umm, I know how believable that is...
Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm, I know how believable that is...
lol... I don't think it's 10% but I don't think its as bad as most AWD cars around. That's just me though
Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

GT-R

GT-R

GT-R

GT-R

GT-R

still wish it had a stick version...
Old 10-01-2008, 12:00 PM
SnakeBitten

Now... one of the biggest variables in this that none of us know how efficient the drivetrain is so its hard to say unless someone dyno's it at the crank and then at the wheels.

So.... who's baller enough to do what I said
Agreed. I highly doubt a car with 2 driveshafts and that sophisticated AWD system is only going to have 10% drivetrain loss lol. Thats way below the standard 12-15% for normal cars and absurdly lower than the standard AWD percentage Ive read can be as high as 20-25%. I call BS on the spokesman.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:02 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by supra crazy
Since when does the porsche turbo come stock with Pilot sport cups? they claimed they used road tires for the porsche and stock tires on the nissan.
I think they used PS2's on the TT's. The GT3's and GT3RS's use the PSC's
Old 10-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Donsred350Z

Car and Driver had a slower GTR in one test that they composed. They stated that the 1st GTR was seconds faster. So it possible that Porsche got and tested a GTR made on a Wenesday or whatever. The slower GTR when on to beat out the Z06 and 911 Turbo. In another test a 911 GT2 tested slower around the track because of movement in the suspension Super Cars have ther Opps too it appears.

But what must be noticed is that in almost all the test since it's being introiduced into N. American market the GTR has proven it belongs in the SUPER CAR market by sure performance and that More for the money that Nissan is so good at.

One of these good ole days I'm gonna have me a GTR, after I buy a 370Z. Personally I think the 350Z looks better then a GTR, but in performance the Zs out of its leauge.

Last edited by Donsred350Z; 10-01-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:08 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,283 Likes on 1,028 Posts

So why are customer bought GT-R's running 11.6-11.7? Even a 11.5
Pro driver's at sea level?

Quick Reply: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating...