Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

Forged Performance: 2012 Black Edition GT-R Upgraded

Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 AM
Chadbee@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forged Performance: 2012 Black Edition GT-R Upgraded

A couple of weeks ago, a customer contacted us because he was looking for some assistance with his One Lap of America set up on his new GT-R. A week later, we received a beautiful 2012 Black Edition GT-R straight off of the show room floor with single digit mileage and window stickers intact. After consulting with the customer, and assessing his goals and budget we developed a very cost effective plan for an outstanding weekend track package while still maintaining 100% of the OEM comfort and safety features inherent in the GT-R.

• Cobb Tuning SF Intakes
• AMS Catless Downpipes
• CBRD 90mm Y-Pipe
• Dodson Front Adjustable A-arms
• SPL Rear Camber Links
• SPL Rear Toe Links
• Forged Performance Sway Bar Kit with Solid Monoball End Links
• Forged Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines
• Carbotech XP12 Brake Pads
• Willall Victory Spec Transmission Fluid
• Dodson Transmission Fluid Filter and Magnet Kit
• Willall Differential Fluid
• Traqmate Data System
• Schroth 4-point ASM Harness
• Volk G2 Wheels
• Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires 295/35/20 Square
• Forged Performance Spec Track Alignment
• Forged Performance Custom ECU Calibration using Cobb Accessport (numbers withheld at the customer’s request, due to the upcoming OLOA 2012 race)
• Engine Break-In on our Dyno Dynamics Load Based Dyno
• Final Track Test and setup at Road Atlanta by Sharif@Forged

Before shipping the vehicle back to our customer we agreed that a track test would be essential to insure the car was perfectly dialed in and setup to compete at next year’s OLOA event. With the customer's blessings, Sharif tested the vehicle at Road Atlanta for final track adjustments and confirmation of our work. There is always something unnerving about taking a customer’s brand new car to one of the most dangerous tracks in North American and pushing it to 10/10th’s. But with thousands of laps around Road Atlanta, Sharif quickly and safely confirmed the setup with only tire pressure adjustments in between hot laps. Sharif programmed three different road course calibrations during the dyno tuning process which are, naturally, switchable on the fly. During testing, he only used the lowest boost map which is comparable to the factory delivered boost pressure. Remarkable, even with stock shocks the car handled superbly and Sharif emerged from the car with a big smile on his face. With stock boost, in traffic on a damp track, 1:33 laptimes were had. No doubt with open and clear track this fairly mild build can easily see 1:32’s or better. For comparison, our track prepared GT-R runs 1:28’s. At the end of the test, we felt confident that the owner would be very happy with the car’s performance and handling characteristics. The car was very easy to drive which allowed very early application of power and a confidence inspiring transition from turn to turn. Nissan made 100’s of small changes to the 2012 GT-R that in total have resulted in a much improved driving experience out of the box. With the Forged Performance track treatment, the good work became great! The biggest improvement we feel, comes from the awesome Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and our Forged Performance Sway Bar kit. Our large bars with solid race grade monoball end links really help tighten up the suspension in the corners while allowing enough flexibility for good transient response. With a few key suspension mods and without breaking the bank, this is a terrific entry level track package. Thanks for looking.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:04 AM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

Niiice
Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Bober'z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so you guys put more miles on the car than the owner did before he brought you it? ethier way pretty sick setup
Old 01-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Chadbee@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by abarclay
Niiice

Originally Posted by Bober'z
so you guys put more miles on the car than the owner did before he brought you it? ethier way pretty sick setup
We did!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's the harness mounted to? It looks draped over the back of the seat, but I can't see where/how it attaches.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Decker@Forged
MY350Z.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by scotts300
What's the harness mounted to? It looks draped over the back of the seat, but I can't see where/how it attaches.
It's actually bolted directly to the OEM seat belt anchor points. Below is a response that Sharif gave on one of the other forums

Originally Posted by HKYStormFront
eh, i've always heard it's dangerous to have 4 or 5 pt harnesses without a cage due to rollover. 3 pt harnesses allow the body to shift down and towards the center of the car, 4 (or more) do not. this means you are somewhat trapped there. granted cars are getting safer and safer each year so this may not be as much of an issue anymore. for the street harnesses are ok but for tracking, especially purpose built tracking, i think at least a 4 pt cage would be preferable...

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Depending on how and where the harnesses are mounted, this can be true but not always. We are planning on putting a 4 bolt bolt in harness bar/roll cage shortly. When the belts are anchored to the frame rail, and at the proper angle there is very little chance of doing more harm with a 4 point ASM belt vs. the 3 point. The ASM allows the body to rotate and avoid neck injury. The GT-R and 350Z/370Z use some of the most rigid chassis designs of any production vehicle and the roof structure is incredibly strong. You also have to consider the likelihood of a rollover, vs. other forms of crashes and accidents. Rollerovers are far less likely than frontal or lateral impacts especially on track and in which case you can bet your dollar that I'd rather be properly harnessed in even without a roll bar. I went for a ride in the right seat with a student who backed it into the wall at Road Atlanta with just a 3 point. I will never do that again...felt like a donkey kicked me in the ****.

And for what it's worth on the street, the owner will be using the 3 points for easy of use purposes and will only install the harnesses when he hits the track.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

very nice car
Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 PM
ebadai98

Sick job guys, I'm loving those front adjustable A-arms
Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 AM
DrVolkl

Unreal...
Old 01-09-2012, 11:18 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Decker@Forged
It's actually bolted directly to the OEM seat belt anchor points. Below is a response that Sharif gave on one of the other forums
So that means that the rear of the harness (where it drapes over the back of the seat) goes all the way down to the floor where its' bolted in? Sounds like spine compression to me - tsk, tsk. I'd rather a stock 3pt than this situation.

http://www.gforce.com/pdf/Harness_Install_Info.pdf
Old 01-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scotts300
So that means that the rear of the harness (where it drapes over the back of the seat) goes all the way down to the floor where its' bolted in? Sounds like spine compression to me - tsk, tsk. I'd rather a stock 3pt than this situation.

http://www.gforce.com/pdf/Harness_Install_Info.pdf
Remember we are running Schroth ASM harnesses, not regular harnesses. Schroth I believe is one of the only manufacturers that offers an "anti-submarine" mesh in their ASM 4 point harnesses. All other 4 point harnesses are unsafe, IMHO. These are different harnesses from the normal Schorth 5 and 6 point harnesses. For clarification, the pictured harnesses are not an ASM harness...we placed them there for the photos. The ASM harnesses didn't arrive in time for the photo-shoot.

The patented SCHROTH asm® system offers an unique safety advantage for 4-point harnesses. asm® is the acronym for anti submarining. The risk to submarine (sliding underneath the lap belt), a well known phenomenon during frontal impacts, is significantly reduced by the asm® safety system. The energy converter is located in the inboard shoulder belt. Therefore make sure you purchase left and/or right harnesses. Severe injuries or death are possible using 4-point harnesses without the SCHROTH asm® safety system or an anti-sub strap. SCHROTH harnesses designed for use on public roads (FE push button models) or those likely to be used as 4-points come with the asm® safety system. The performance of the SCHROTH asm® safety system has also been positively tested in conjunction with airbags.

Spinal compression is mitigated since the shoulder belt angle does not exceed Schroth's recommended level of 20-25 degrees and ASM allows the body to roll naturally. The shoulder harnesses are not bolted to the floor. Spinal compression occurs from rigid non-ASM or 5/6 point harnesses that are angled at too extreme of a downward angle. Hope that clarifies things. Our bolt in 4 point harnesses bar/cage are in powder coating phase and it would certainly be an added safety benefit for a street driven car. Finding the happy balance of safety for both the street and the track is one of the most challenging tasks.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 01-09-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:13 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Remember we are running Schroth ASM harnesses, not regular harnesses. Schroth I believe is one of the only manufacturers that offers an "anti-submarine" mesh in their ASM 4 point harnesses. All other 4 point harnesses are unsafe, IMHO. These are different harnesses from the normal Schorth 5 and 6 point harnesses. For clarification, the pictured harnesses are not an ASM harness...we placed them there for the photos. The ASM harnesses didn't arrive in time for the photo-shoot.

Spinal compression is mitigated since the shoulder belt angle does not exceed Schroth's recommended level of 20-25 degrees and ASM allows the body to roll naturally. The shoulder harnesses are not bolted to the floor. Spinal compression occurs from rigid non-ASM or 5/6 point harnesses that are angled at too extreme of a downward angle. Hope that clarifies things. Our bolt in 4 point harnesses bar/cage are in powder coating phase and it would certainly be an added safety benefit for a street driven car. Finding the happy balance of safety for both the street and the track is one of the most challenging tasks.
And therein lied my confusion! I just didn't want others to think that they could throw a harness over the shoulder of the seat, bolt it to the floor, and call it safe.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:44 PM
BallSmasher

damn looks good
Old 02-23-2012, 05:39 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow this is srs. nice work.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Chadbee@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thanks guys....funny this thread got bumped cause the car is back here for a full pre-track inspection and will be at Road Atlanta this weekend for testing since One Lap of America is coming up soon