Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

**Went to the track-VIDEO-another tranny bites the dust---> Sam@GTM where are you?**

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry **Went to the track-VIDEO-another tranny bites the dust---> Sam@GTM where are you?**

Well guys, I went to the dragstrip, good news I drove the car home, bad news no 3rd gear anymore or times Here is what happened.

First and only run I promised myself Id take it easy, as I wasnt sure how the car was going to handle a powershift-until yesterday I hadnt tried on the street due to sever wheelspin/sideways action. So I launch-like total crap, garbage, weaksauce (insert your insult here ) and I decide Im gonna go for it. Hit 2nd, all is well, car stayed straight and felt SICK the car didnt even have slight "lag" and I proceed to 3rd gear. Again all went well with the shift, I didnt go sideways, and about .0002 seconds into 3rd, I get what was the most violent shaking I have ever experienced in an automobile, like a 7.4 on a richter scale. It felt like wheelhop, but from the front of the car The center console where the 3 guages sit, popped out towards me, I had to push the clip back in. At this point Im locked out of every gear. I make my way down the track from only the momentum of 1st and 2nd gear. If you watch the vid, at this point my ATS Triple disc starts acting up, with the car in nuetral the revs stayed at about 2300rpm's. Then I got back into a gear, tried the other gears some were locked out, I get back in 3rd and you can hear what sounds like clutch disks banging around inside my tranny(around 20-23 seconds) and shaking my car.

Let the car cool down for 2 hours or so. Tranny feels like crap when the car is on, hard to get in/out of gears. With time it got better, good enough to drive home. In 3rd though, car starts shaking and the tranny spits the shifter back into nuetral, I think 3rd gears synchro is owned. Well, Im done for the season, I knew something was gonna give-I was worried about my axles. BTW-this was on low boost.

Well Id LOVE to try the new GTM gearset, not to sound cocky but I think if it can handle my abuse it can handle anything. Sam-think it can keep up with me? Id love if when you had the time you PM'd me, I know your busy with the stroker kits/other projects. Thoughts? Questions? Feel free to laugh at me...here is the vid----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc1AsuN_mqg

Last edited by Alberto; 10-22-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that sucks man. dont know what else to say, usually i would talk crap but this deserves a moment of silence...

what tires were you on??
Old 10-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Et Streets. Felt amazing feeling 1st and 2nd gear not spin, even with a weaksauce launch.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch man that video was painful to watch. Just seeing ur frustration and disgust really sucked because I would have loved to see what you would have pulled with your new setup.

Prior to watching the video, I couldn't help but laugh about your description of how the car shook and how you had to pop the center console back in. That was hilarious

Anyways, thanks for pushing your car/our cars to the limit and shifting that baby the way it was meant to be shifted at the drag strip with no fear. Great way to test out the gearset with some power to back it up to see how our drivetrains hold up LOL. I'm sure whatever you do to fix it will just make your performance even better next time. 10's here we come?!?!!!??!
Old 10-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Oleg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Well guys, I went to the dragstrip, good news I drove the car home, bad news no 3rd gear anymore or times Here is what happened.
Ouch, that hurts.
What is that screen below the navi on your center console?
Old 10-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Thats a Pioneer 6800 HU. Rickdogg-thanks man, gotta laugh at $hit like that, I felt like I drove a Civic whos dash popped out after a 1-2 shift lol....
Old 10-22-2006, 04:04 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

A moment of silence.................................
Old 10-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Im gonna change my motto from "Never lift to Shift" to "dont even race with our POS Nissan tranny's and if you do shift like grandma and hope for the best...."
Old 10-22-2006, 04:09 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Dude I could see the look on your face even with the helment on. That is NO GOOD! Dude I knew you had a bad feeling about someting going wrong with your axles, I never would've thought your tranny would go. It has been a bad weekend for the VQ. I had some minor issues, and another dude had bigger ones, and now you. I am so bumed for you. If it aint one thing it another.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Yeah all this time/effort/$$ spent and my car isnt 100%, nobody's fault, you break $hit when you push it but I cant help but feel disgusted at racing this cars sometimes....
Old 10-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Oleg

Im gonna change my motto from "Never lift to Shift" to "dont even race with our POS Nissan tranny's and if you do shift like grandma and hope for the best...."
Do I sence a GM tranny conversion in the future?
Honestly, I'd do the whole driveline if I were you. Otherwise get ready for

"...dont even race with our POS Nissan rear..."
"...dont even race with our POS Nissan axels..."

With your power and a stout drivetrain, I don't think that low 10's are not unattainable with appropriate gearing...
Old 10-22-2006, 04:18 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I'm guessin this is the first time you didn't "lift" in your new setup. I would have thought 2nd would have gone before 3rd. When you jammed it in 3rd was it clean or was there some grind? That blows man ... guess we won't see it at the Mid-A cookout.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:19 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn seeing the inside of the video really shows the carnage. Im glad you were able to atleast drive the car home ( unlike some people ). Hope this does not keep you away from mason dixon.

But if it breaks it gives you a reason to make it stronger

Sad day for the Z's that was for sure.

Let me know if there is anything i can do.

Later
Aceman
Old 10-22-2006, 04:38 PM
tig488

man sorry for your troubles, i bet it would have been a great run, the car sounded great, i wish i could have seen your face, i feel your pain, i bet you were so mad (after the initial wtf?) that you wish you couldve just forced it into gear and gone WOT until it blew the tires out. thats usually what happens to me when something like that happens. im so mad i dont care what else happens. i punched out my front windshield one day because it kept fogging up and wouldnt clear up after i cleaned it. not in the G of course.

i know youll get it back better than ever, you think you might have done something before the motor build, and now it was just too much to handle, there are a good number of people here running more hp than you without any problems, BUT i bet they dont drive theirs like you do, lol.

on the shift from first did you just let off at all?
Old 10-22-2006, 04:39 PM
TENGAI

...ouch...

ATS trip had to be screaming for mercy with the way you shift bro... I have to admit - if somebody's going to bust deep into 10's and maybe into the 9's on a street Z, it'll be you, BUT - I definitely see some serious drivetrain upgrades happening in the mix. The factory tranny was NEVER built to withstand that kind of abuse. That said, I'm sure that GTM will put a gearset together that'll hang with you. Axles will def have to be upgraded too, but I thought you already had that covered?... No? Anyway, sorry to hear about the break, but like everyone else here, we know you'll pull back even harder when she's back together.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:49 PM
DIGItonium

ARGH... our trannies don't like fast shifting :-( I hate it... the faster I try to shift, the clunk and resistance and pop out.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by tig488
i punched out my front windshield one day because it kept fogging up and wouldnt clear up after i cleaned it. not in the G of course.
So how many times did you beat the crap out of your APS setup?
Old 10-22-2006, 04:51 PM
tig488

haha, if i told you, you wouldnt believe me. the window was back when i was in my late teens, ive grown up a little bit.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Acree

Dude, that SUCKS.

Before coughing up the $4k for the new gear set, have you considered opening the tranny and welding 3rd gear? I'm not exactly sure how it's done, but I saw a thread on here not too long ago. I think it was a guy from Puerto Rico.

-Acree
Old 10-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
So I'm guessin this is the first time you didn't "lift" in your new setup. I would have thought 2nd would have gone before 3rd. When you jammed it in 3rd was it clean or was there some grind? That blows man ... guess we won't see it at the Mid-A cookout.
This was the first time I didnt lift for a shift, it went in smooth like usual, no grinds or resistance. You will see it at the Mid-A cookout, its driveable but no 3rd gear....after that its in hibernation for winter

Tig-no I did not lift at all, 100% WOT from my weaksauce launch to the time of destruction...

Originally Posted by S1AMEZE
...ouch...

ATS trip had to be screaming for mercy with the way you shift bro... I have to admit - if somebody's going to bust deep into 10's and maybe into the 9's on a street Z, it'll be you, BUT - I definitely see some serious drivetrain upgrades happening in the mix. The factory tranny was NEVER built to withstand that kind of abuse. That said, I'm sure that GTM will put a gearset together that'll hang with you. Axles will def have to be upgraded too, but I thought you already had that covered?... No? Anyway, sorry to hear about the break, but like everyone else here, we know you'll pull back even harder when she's back together.
Ryan- dont have DSS axles(no $$$ right now), I was going to do those when I broke them, I wanted to see how far I could push the stockers, I think people are quick to diss them I want to prove they are decent (handled my 400whp TN launches fine).

Oleg- no,I would never consider putting in an auto racing tranny, even if it dropped my time 1 second. I simply love to bang gears to much, I'll figure out a way to do this with some sort of reliability

Acree-no I havent looked into that at all, I did see that thread I'll look into any options available right now.

Last edited by Alberto; 10-22-2006 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: **Went to the track-VIDEO-another tranny bites the dust---> Sam@GTM where are you?**