Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

**Went to the track-VIDEO-another tranny bites the dust---> Sam@GTM where are you?**

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65
well the Z never has been a particularly fast car in the 1/4 mile. Even with huge power only a handful have ran 10's
Thats because most guys with $$$/power lack the driving experience/skill, regardless of what they think. Most who really want 10's take the "ditch the 6MT" mentality as well-I dont blame them, I just wouldnt run an auto in this car. Next spring I predict 3 or 4 street cars--->6MT guys to be in the 10's at least. BTW-as far as what I consider legit 6MT 10 second slips, only 2 I know of, 1 is in PR, other was a race car with a fuel cell/cage etc.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:06 PM
skidmarq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I'm dying to know...

Immediately after the "incident" you look into the rear view mirror pretty feverishly. What were you looking for/at? I have my own ideas but I'm curious
Old 10-23-2006, 03:13 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by skidmarq
Okay, so I'm dying to know...

Immediately after the "incident" you look into the rear view mirror pretty feverishly. What were you looking for/at? I have my own ideas but I'm curious
Probably to make sure there wasnt another car coming or that they weren't sending the track vehicle to come tow him off.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:14 PM
skidmarq

Wasn't my first thought but that makes sense too...let's see what the real answer is!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:16 PM
taurran

Wasn't my first thought but that makes sense too...let's see what the real answer is!
That, or maybe if there were a trail of oil from a blown motor? I think after the initial shock of the vibration it would have been fairly clear as to what was happening. This problem with 3rd on high powered 6MT cars has been known for a while.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:17 PM
skidmarq

Yeah, my thought was similar to what you just said...looking for engine parts on the track and/or stream of oil and fluids...
Old 10-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Honestly I was looking for fluid on the track from a cracked tranny/diff, axle pieces. Only for a split second did I think it was the engine, I pretty much immediately knew it was fine as idle, oil pressure, fuel pressure were good. I was really confused because I had never experienced such nasty shaking from the front end in a car before (due to tranny), and trust me Ive blown my share of motors, tranny's, diffs...

Last edited by Alberto; 10-23-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:54 PM
skidmarq

Dude, when I read this thread it broke my heart because I've seen the threads and know how much time, effort, and money you've invested in this car. I know it is just another anonymous Internet guy saying this, but I really wish you the best luck in this because you've spent enough time without your car for something like this to happen...
Old 10-23-2006, 04:21 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

its not the best drag car... but its up there with the best for sure... the Z offers a lot more than jsut driving straight in the 1/4 mile.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Dude, when I read this thread it broke my heart because I've seen the threads and know how much time, effort, and money you've invested in this car. I know it is just another anonymous Internet guy saying this, but I really wish you the best luck in this because you've spent enough time without your car for something like this to happen...
Thanks man I appreciate it. As dumb as this may sound I was "hoping" if anything for the axle to break, inexpensive and simple to replace myself. I have a great guy/shop (Functiontuned) helping me with this ordeal so its just a matter of time before the tranny is out-likely as early as next week. I will keep you guys updated...
Old 10-23-2006, 04:25 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
.....and trust me Ive blown my share of motors, tranny's, diffs...

"A" is a very seasoned individual to this sort of things

GET FIX MAN I WANNA SEE how fast you can push it

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-23-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:31 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well 'Berto, I am sorry to hear this, and a little surprised it was not your axles. But I guess like you said, you started a bit easier then normal. I am sure you will get this solved momentarily.
I have been looking into the GTM solution myself. Hit me up, interested to know your thoughts on dogtooth.

Sam: give Sharif or myself a call also. We might need something from you soon.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:08 PM
diwun67

No worries bro, you'll be back up and running in no time I wonder if that GTM gearset is going to be really whiny...I wanna see a pic of a gtm set next to an oem gearset, that'd be sweet for comparison
Old 10-24-2006, 07:20 PM
G352NV

Thanks man I appreciate it. As dumb as this may sound I was "hoping" if anything for the axle to break, inexpensive and simple to replace myself. I have a great guy/shop (Functiontuned) helping me with this ordeal so its just a matter of time before the tranny is out-likely as early as next week. I will keep you guys updated...
Just pulled my trans in two hours without a lift. YOU CAN DO IT! Cant wait to see new vids with a built tranny.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Any tips/pointers that could help me out?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
bigslim350Z

looks like you are too much for the stock tranny to handle. but once you get the GTM gears in your car 10's shouldn't be a problem. either will keeping the drivetrain in one piece. after seeing the video, it makes me worried about running the car in the spring. however, since i'll only be upgrading to a 9 psi pulley for the procharger i'll probably keep my car at around 400-410 whp or so and hopefully things will stay together.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:06 PM
mdracer76
Banned

damn Berto! Get'r done!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Laujik

Im only the 1 of hundred people crying over your situation and im really sorry to hear. I just got into these forums since I just sold my 240 and bought a 350z. And i was actually impressed by your build and wanted to know more. And It shocked to hear it and even crazier to watch the vid. I think alot of us felt what happened haha.

Same thing happened with me, except one was engine and one was tranny. This of course was on my 95 240. Just bought it, 1 month later i blew the KA-T and had to wait another 3 months to get my rb25det swap and transmission and i ended up really messing the tranny at the same track. So i didnt have a car all summer, then again im from Canada so they arent long to begin with.

But yah sorry to hear and Im waiting every minute to see how the new gearset turns out, cant wait! And just imagine how much more confident you will feel after doing that, because only other thing you really have to worry about will be the axle. Then you will be running straight 10s!!! Good luck!

-Matts
Old 10-24-2006, 08:49 PM
G352NV

To tell ya the truth it was pretty basic. But I do have a lot of tools. Your best bets are gear wrench flex head wrenches and a GOOD socket set. Key is to get HIGH jack stands so when you pull the trans out it will clear the car. You will also need a floor jack.
You'll need to remove your Y pipe on the exhaust 14mm, then the driveline. There is four bolts 17mm holding it on. The best way to remove these is to leave the e-brake on. Loosen the ones you can get to then take the ebrake off and spine the driveline put the brake back on. Now remove the others. Pull the driveline out towards the rear of the car. DONT DROP IT! Be careful with it, set it to the side. Now remove the brace for the cats. But Im sure you dont have cats so Ill skip this part. Next is to remove the wires from the trans. There is 10mm bolts holding the clips for the wire loom, about four of them. Now unclip the wires from the sensors. Now its time to unbolt the trans from the motor. Theres about four 14mm and four 17mm holding it on. The ones on the bottom are pretty easy to get to. I got the top two from the pass side from the top. Once these are removed place your jack under the trans to support it. Now go into the car and pull up on the console around the shifter. It will pop right out. You'll see four 10mm bolts, take these off. Pull that part off and you'll see the shifter. Pull the rubber boot off and you'll see three more 10mm bolts, undo these. Now its time to get back under the car. Remove one 10mm bolt that conects to the shifter. Now its time to undo four 14mm bolts that hold the trans up. There will be a black brace, theres two 14mm on each side. Remove these(make sure the jack is supporting the trans first) With these 14mm bolts removed wiggle the trans back until it comes out. Drop it down and pull it out. See not bad at all! Plus you have all us to talk ya through it!

Last edited by G352NV; 10-24-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:05 AM
dutchboy

Don't drop it on your foot. Ask me how I know .

Are you considering changing your gear ratios?

Quick Reply: **Went to the track-VIDEO-another tranny bites the dust---> Sam@GTM where are you?**