Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 09:29 PM
350zRoadster04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake noise

My 04 ZR has 20K miles on it now and the the occasional squeaking that I used to hear has now become a continuous squeal/screech even when I brake lightly It's embarrassing enough that I engine brake a lot now when I come to red lights because my brakes sound like someone scratching their nails across a chalkboard (esp on the right side). This can't be right. Nissan claims that all 350Z brakes squeak and blamed it on excessive brake dust, but this is ridiculous. Anyone else had this problem?

Also, sometimes when I back my car into the garage and press the brake I hear one loud "clap" noise coming from the rear passenger side brake. Anyone else hear this?

Last edited by 350zRoadster04; 01-11-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:34 AM
Ivey

I've never heard the "clap" noise but do have the typical stock brake squeal. I have about 15K miles on mine but that includes some track time so my pads are worn a little more than normal. Dealer told me that at 50% life left the stock pads will squeal.

I'm ok with it for now because in a couple months I'm doing the StopTech stage 2 upgrade and will change the pads and rotors anyway.

I think your options are either swap out the pads with a higher quality brand (less dust) or buy some "stop squeal" from your local auto parts store and slap it on your current pads.

It is an annoying sound and if it impacts the way you drive and enjoy the car then my opinion is that you should spend the money to resolve it.

hope that helps.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:14 PM
ohw

I don't have any noise from the brakes. But I have a lot less mileage too. Have you tried talking to a different dealer? Brake dust does not create noise, give them a 10 for creativity.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:32 PM
350zRoadster04

I didn't know about "stop squeal"... I'll give that a try. I have an appt with my dealer tomorrow morning too.

Originally posted by Ivey
I've never heard the "clap" noise but do have the typical stock brake squeal. I have about 15K miles on mine but that includes some track time so my pads are worn a little more than normal. Dealer told me that at 50% life left the stock pads will squeal.

I'm ok with it for now because in a couple months I'm doing the StopTech stage 2 upgrade and will change the pads and rotors anyway.

I think your options are either swap out the pads with a higher quality brand (less dust) or buy some "stop squeal" from your local auto parts store and slap it on your current pads.

It is an annoying sound and if it impacts the way you drive and enjoy the car then my opinion is that you should spend the money to resolve it.

hope that helps.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:49 PM
350zRoadster04

Finally got this resolved. Turned out that I needed new front rotors. Nissan replaced them under warranty since mine were warped.

Seemed strange that the dealer offered to replace under warranty since rotors are a normal wear item and I have over 20K miles on my ZR, but it works for me.

Originally posted by 350zRoadster04
I didn't know about "stop squeal"... I'll give that a try. I have an appt with my dealer tomorrow morning too.

Last edited by 350zRoadster04; 01-19-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:59 PM
DRIFT
All LASER LASIK

I was just driving my ZR home tonight thinking "Damn brakes are really starting to squeal". Time to go talk to Mr. Service Man.

Im pretty sure its just the pads. I think Ill upgrade the pads to ..... oh I dont know, maybe a full STOP TECH BBK!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:19 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

I don't have any input on the clap sound, except that you might want to check the ebrake? As for the squeal, it's true, all Z's squeal a bit more than other cars, it's due to the compound used in the pads. If you want to go with other pads, Nismo's don't squeal as much, and give off less dust. Hawk pads are the same way.
http://www.performancenissanparts.co...th=153_180_366

The squeal is probably just from worn pads, and unfortunately, even if the pads are not worn down too bad, due to the compound in them, they tend to get worse with more wear.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:40 AM
southern_info

I'm having the same problem myself and it's only on the passenger front tire now. I had the problem before and it went away. Now it has return, so how many miles do you think the pads needs to be change? I now have 10500 on my 03 touring and I do the occassionally drag strips twice a month and one autocross.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:24 AM
sy0296

some things to help with brake squeal:

1. sanding/filing the leading edge of the pad to a 35~45 degree angle
2. anti-squeal (stop squeal or whatever you call it) on the back side of the pad during installation
3. always bed in new pads and/or new rotors (http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm)

remeber that some pads will squeal more than others. I'm not sure about the OEM Z pads, but I've never heard the car squeal with about 10k miles. Some quiet performance street pads to consider are axxis deluxe and hawk hp. both of these offer good break performance, are quiet, and signifigantly less dustier than OEM. For a bit higher in performance, axxis ultimate and hawk hps are great pads to consider with a slight increase in dust. Keep in mind that none of these pads are design for track use (and track pads are not designed for street use, etc.)