Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Sirius antenna on the dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Sonoran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius antenna on the dash

I am planning to get the Sirius Spostster for my ZR. I decided on the Sportster because I would like to get another car kit for my wife's Volvo. I have a few questions regarding the Sportster:

1. I visited two car audio installers today. One said that the antenna would work fine on the dash. The other said it would not & I needed to install the antenna on the trunk lid because it "needs to be placed on metal". Which one is blowing smoke? From what I've read the antenna doesn't need to be sitting on metal.

2. I would like the Sportster to be installed in the glove box (non nav ZR). Do you think it will fit in there with the base?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2005, 03:17 PM
PureXTZ

Well the antennas just need to be able to get to the atmosphere. I have 2 installed Sirius in both my cars, mounting the antennas on the dash. The reception possibly blacks out more often, but I don't mind a second of black out or when I'm under a car port that I lose reception for the instance. Its far and few between here and I'd rather not advertise whats in my car, especially in AZ.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:20 PM
3NI5SS0AN

Default sirius

it doesnt have to be placed on metal...it is magnetic and designed to be placed on your roof...i bought the sporster for my Z but have not installed yet...i also want to place it in the navi box....it would look sick...problem 1 has been the power adapter needs to go in the lighter which is in the rear...(I hate loose wires) the sporster will not fit with the base unless you take the whole thing out..meaning the dock with it...my solution is velcro...i am planning on drilling a hole for the wires in the back of the navi spot, running along the floor and into the back where the cigarette lighter is...the running the antenna out of the back and placing it on my rear roof....I hope it will work out...i just got my z and am hesitant to drill or f*** anything up...let me know if you come up with any other solution..
Jay
Old 05-14-2005, 04:24 PM
jlimquest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bose 6 CD HU w/ Sirius

I have mine in the Navi box w/ the Terk Sirmini ant. on the roof w/ a 2 inch tail. The Circuit City installers said that the antenna needed the metal to have the better reception. They also used a two sided tape to secure the ant together w/ the magnet. It prevents it from moving & scratching during a car wash.
Attached Thumbnails Sirius antenna on the dash-dscn0825-medium-.jpg   Sirius antenna on the dash-dscn1103-small-.jpg  
Old 05-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Teez Zee

I have my antenna on the dash in between the vents - no problems at all.

I mounted the starmate on a custom bracket that mounts into the coin box

Looks good and works well
Old 05-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For best reception an antenna ought to have a good ground plain - the metal of the roof as an example. That said nothing prohibits the antenna from working good enough without the ground plain as they make portable handheld boomboxes with XM and Sirius radios.

There's a bit of medal in the dash that will help but the roof will block signals in that direction some.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Teez Zee

Forgot to mention that I have the ZR. If you have a coupe, plan on having a lot more drop outs than I have. Most people see to mount the antenna on top of the cross bar behind the driver seat in the coupe. Thats not optiimal but seems to work
Old 05-15-2005, 12:58 AM
10-35

My Sirius ant is mounted on the convertable lid, nearest the cockpit. The wires tuck away just fine, and I don't notice any difference top on or off. None of the wires get snagged when the lid goes up and down.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:38 AM
nissan350zfan

I had my mini antenna installed in my 05 ZR in the location for the GPS antenna, which is under the driver's side upper dash cover. (That location is free on Non-NAV 350's).

From what I have read and my installer's information, the antenna functions best if it is sitting on some metal - (something about a "ground plane"). However, mine works fine and receives the signal through the windshield and plastic dash material without a problem.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Sonoran

Default Sportster vs Starmate

Can someone tell me what the differences are between the Starmate & Sportster? The specs read pretty much the same to me. Is one significantly smaller? I would like to fit the whole thing in the mepty nav box.

Thanks.