Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Do you prefer the Coupe or the Roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 10:53 PM
ssk0771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only difference between the 2 car's are color as you may notice.

Also, I took the pic of Coupe right after I got it waxed so you may notice that the Silver coupe is little more shiny than the Roadster in the pic.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:49 AM
JRinTXrog

In my opinion the coupe looks sleeker. If thats a word. I know it hard to compare but I drive around town and see all these old mustangs and other convertibles where their tops are ripped and they really look awful after a little age. I would love to have a convertable but I think in the long run. It just going to be another motor you have a problem with and a another peice of your car when it get a little age on it your going to have to replace.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:57 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like your old coupe more then your white roadster. Maybe it's the colour. But your pics that you pasted reinforced my love for the coupe And you don't have to bold and enlarge part of your statement to make people understand your opinion. ;P

But if you are happy, that's the whole point.

And the only difference is not just the colour, the coupe looks "slicker" then the roadster. That's not an insult, it's just the facts. Why is every roadster owner taking offense to people saying the coupe looks slicker? It's just the truth, the roadster's rear end and the shape of the top up just makes the roadster not as slick as the coupe. It's no inuslt, it's just how the two cars were designed.

Originally Posted by ssk0771
The only difference between the 2 car's are color as you may notice.

Also, I took the pic of Coupe right after I got it waxed so you may notice that the Silver coupe is little more shiny than the Roadster in the pic.

Last edited by ZlleH; 09-04-2005 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:29 AM
xtatic5

convertible looks deformed. and i can't believe it takes 20 seconds! if you're stuck on a convertible get the S2000.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:39 AM
FreebirdZ

Originally Posted by xtatic5
convertible looks deformed. and i can't believe it takes 20 seconds! if you're stuck on a convertible get the S2000.
what takes 20 seconds?
Old 09-04-2005, 09:06 AM
EOD Diver

Seems like a hot topic, the info I put in about the roadster was taken from the UK's top gear site. good site worth a look.
I bought my car 05 ultra yellow touring roadster, because I loved the look, and bought the auto because I am lazy, (spent 30 years using a stick shift), but the one thing that bonds us all on this site we all love the Nissan 350Z.
This ia a top site nothing like a bit of debating lol

http://www.topgear.com/drives/D0/F2/...sts/05/01.html
Old 09-04-2005, 10:30 AM
MyNismoRoadster

Originally Posted by FreebirdZ
what takes 20 seconds?

20 seconds to open the top.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Built2shredZ

I would lay odds that most of the Coupe buyers who say they think the Roadster is lame, have never driven it.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:24 PM
ZlleH

I've never driven in both these cars before...
http://www.smart.com/is-bin/intersho...galerie_06.jpg
http://www.autogazeta.com/g/337/Aztec2002_b.jpg
But I can still form an opinion about there looks.

Anyhoo, must of the people in here are talking about look difference since both cars are 350Z. Most of the coupes are more talking about the design of the rear end and the top up of the roadster. They aren't talking about handling... so no need to test drive them.

I myself have test drove the roadster.

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
I would lay odds that most of the Coupe buyers who say they think the Roadster is lame, have never driven it.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Chicken

No, you have to drive the car to have an opinion. :: shakes head ::

If I were only to drive an '06 I'd suddenly like the design of the new headlights?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Initally I went shopping for a roadster looking at serveral models before narrowing the list down to a couple of Porsches and the Z.

I found several issues with the softtop Z.

First the lines are just not swift looking in my eyes when the top is up. The coupe has a perfect shape - the Porsche Carrera and Z share a common shape. The Boxster looked the worse, the 911 as bad as the Z. The shape of the softtop just didn't work in my eyes.

Both Porsches' have a felt padding in the middle of softtop which was a big plus to me. The heat of a hot SoCal day bakes through the single layer of the Z - you can feel the IR heating the ceiling. So the softtop didn't work on my skin.

A second issue with the thin Z softtop was OPM - Other People's Music. In city traffic sitting next to some a55wipe with a boom-boom car is bad in a roadster with the top up. Here in SoCal there are more people driving around with $5000 stereos that want to inflict rap music upon you that there are people pouring into Disneyland in a day. The Porsche's felt liner did a little more to reduce the noise but not much at all. Combine that with half of the Honda owners with fart can exhaust noise and the ride is bad so the softtops didn't work in my ears.

Finally driving around SoCal with the top down and the wind in your hair is a blast. Wear sunscreen as skin cancer is a pain - my father has had his lower eyelid removed and had a couple other sarcomas' removed. Don't breath too deeply as all the dirt and dust from the road is bad for you but the worse is the pair of illegals driving around in a BC plated truck spewing out toxic fumes from their truck which started with Mexican pollution controls 35 years ago - too bad they don't have to follow CARB regulations. So my nose, lungs, and skin (cancer) didn't work with the softtops.

All of these issues would ruin my enjoyment of the experence. My Z is not a daily driver. I drive it for pleasure - of looking good, staying cool, enjoying my music, not getting cancer, and not inhailing other people's exhaust.

YMMV
Old 09-05-2005, 09:32 AM
gaklid

The long and the short of the matter is this: I wanted a convertable first and foremost, and the ZR fit the bill just fine. If I wanted a 2 door, HARDTOP sports car, I would have gotten a Vette or a G35 coupe, since they are better looking than a hardtop Z, with one being faster, and one having a nicer/more luxurious interior. I would imagine that for most ZR drivers, a hardtop Z wasn't even an option. I know it wasn't for me....I wanted a convertable, damnit!
Old 09-05-2005, 10:17 AM
ZlleH

I also test drove the G35c. around here, they are everywhere and are not attention getters. I also crossed the g35c off my list when I test drove it and saw the interrior. It was an "old-mans" interior. I felt like I was in a Buick or something. And what's up with the anolog clock? The G35c felt really "high up" when seating in it and the ride was too smooth for me. I wanted to feel the road like a sports car.

So I'm the oppisite, If I wanted a hard top sports car, it's definately not the 4 seater G35c.

As for the vette... don't get me wrong, I wouldn't pass up a chance to own a vette, but it wasn't practical as a daily driver for me. I already feel paranoid as it is with the 350Z when parking it on the street. I would freak out if a vette was my daily driver. A vette would definately have to be a weekend car for me.

Originally Posted by gaklid
The long and the short of the matter is this: I wanted a convertable first and foremost, and the ZR fit the bill just fine. If I wanted a 2 door, HARDTOP sports car, I would have gotten a Vette or a G35 coupe, since they are better looking than a hardtop Z, with one being faster, and one having a nicer/more luxurious interior. I would imagine that for most ZR drivers, a hardtop Z wasn't even an option. I know it wasn't for me....I wanted a convertable, damnit!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:15 PM
gaklid

Originally Posted by ZlleH
I also test drove the G35c. around here, they are everywhere and are not attention getters. I also crossed the g35c off my list when I test drove it and saw the interrior. It was an "old-mans" interior. I felt like I was in a Buick or something. And what's up with the anolog clock? The G35c felt really "high up" when seating in it and the ride was too smooth for me. I wanted to feel the road like a sports car.

So I'm the oppisite, If I wanted a hard top sports car, it's definately not the 4 seater G35c.

As for the vette... don't get me wrong, I wouldn't pass up a chance to own a vette, but it wasn't practical as a daily driver for me. I already feel paranoid as it is with the 350Z when parking it on the street. I would freak out if a vette was my daily driver. A vette would definately have to be a weekend car for me.
I had a G sedan before my ZR, and I really enjoyed it. But I live in California, and I can drive top down for 8 or 9 months out of the year. I like a really nice
interior with gadgets and wood and stuff, so I got the wife a 2005 Navigator to kill that urge! Point taken about the daily driver stuff, but I have a beater that I drive back and forth to work. The ZR is like a Harley for me, I drive it for "escapism".....
Old 09-05-2005, 06:21 PM
ASTIG_Z

Originally Posted by visionboy
Don't get the POS roadster, it's UGLY!!!

This car with the top down looks amazing. Other than that, I would choose coupe for the "Z".
Old 09-06-2005, 05:47 AM
maxpowers

Why do you think 20 seconds is unreasonable? Considering the car has an moulded tonneau cover, 20 seconds is about right, give or take a second...

Originally Posted by xtatic5
Old 09-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by Chicken
No, you have to drive the car to have an opinion. :: shakes head ::

If I were only to drive an '06 I'd suddenly like the design of the new headlights?
All I am saying is give it a drive then tell me if you think the looks of the car matter as much as you think.. I was not crazy (But still liked it enough to buy one) about the Z in coupe or roadster form in the beginning, oversiezed bug eye headlights and big chrome handles that stick out like pimples on a white guys forhead.. But once I drove the roadster it more then made up for its short commings look wise. The roadster is an extramly fun car to drive.

And if I remember the original topic, he was not asking people what they thought about the looks of the roadster. He was asking how the roadster was compared to the coupe in every day life and if he would run into any problems with the roadster such as the soft top goes. Instead he got a bunch of opinions from coupe owners (not all of them) stating the Roadster is Ugly go by the S2000...

If you want to start a flame war regarding the looks of the 350z vs 350zr then one could say the Roadster (although it might not look as awesome as some would like) is at least original looking where as the 350z coupe is nothing but a knock off of the porsche (a poor mans porsche).. The only reason coupe owners drive one is to pretend there driving a porsche because they have lame @ss jobs and can not afford a real porsche..

Do I really feel this way about coupe owners ? NO, but as you can see its not fun when someone knocks your ride, now is it....
Old 09-06-2005, 06:23 PM
ZlleH

Hey, personally I don't see the resemblance, I personally think the 350Z coupe has better lines then the porsches. But hey, if you think we coupes look like the porsches, I'm not complaining.

If you want to start a flame war regarding the looks of the 350z vs 350zr then one could say the Roadster (although it might not look as awesome as some would like) is at least original looking where as the 350z coupe is nothing but a knock off of the porsche (a poor mans porsche).. The only reason coupe owners drive one is to pretend there driving a porsche because they have lame @ss jobs and can not afford a real porsche..
Attached Thumbnails Do you prefer the Coupe or the Roadster?-front_side.jpg   Do you prefer the Coupe or the Roadster?-rear_side.jpg   Do you prefer the Coupe or the Roadster?-side.jpg   Do you prefer the Coupe or the Roadster?-side_angle.jpg   Do you prefer the Coupe or the Roadster?-side_head.jpg  

Old 09-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Chicken

All I am saying is give it a drive then tell me if you think the looks of the car matter as much as you think..
You know, if you only drove a Yugo convertible, you'd think it looks better than it actually does. It's a fun car to drive.

Do I really feel this way about coupe owners ? NO, but as you can see its not fun when someone knocks your ride, now is it....
Good to see you have demonstrated that you're yet another brilliant person who discusses the car and not the person.

-Chicken (owns a 350z and a Porsche, kinda ironic, eh?)
Old 09-09-2005, 02:19 PM
redvert

GO WITH THE ROADSTER!!!!!!!! i bought one and i love it. i now have to 2 convertibles and there is nothing like driving one on a nice day with the top down!!! i have the mustang convertible to eat most everything on the road w/ 500+ rwhp and i now have the 350z roadster to cruise around in. it definitely turns heads and the hard tonnueau cover looks great with the top down compared to a s2000. i would never buy a 350z coupe after having a roadster. i have two other vehicles so both convertibles can sit in the garage and arent daily drivers. just make sure you have another car to drive i have had some convertibles in the past sliced open by hooligans wanting to steal stuff. i know the roadster is a little slower but with the top down it is definetly worth it..

Quick Reply: Do you prefer the Coupe or the Roadster?