Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Anyone clean his/her Z in carwash ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 08:01 AM
Mang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone clean his/her Z in carwash ?

Does anyone clean his/her Z Roadster in a carwash ? (traditional with rotating brushes).
Here in Europe in many places it is forbidden to wash your car in the traditional way "at home" with sponge and bucket (Because of the water regenerating area's).

In the (European) Z roadster Owners Manuals there is a warning that the softtop is not designed usage in carwash machines.
Other brands like: Porsche Boxster, MBenz CLK Convertible, Volvo C70 Convertible, Audi TT Roadster all have tops that are carwash machine proof.
Even the Volkswagen Rabbit does !

Practical it means , either you break the law risking high penalty or go for a carwash with high pressure gun cleaner which takes a lot of time with a high risk you may become soaked.

Please share your experience,is the Z Top carwash proof ?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON"T DO IT. I don't think any of Z owner bring their car to the carwash place. Even with handwash shop.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:36 AM
350ztoronto

dont do it, beside for your soft top your rim might get 'curbbed' from the assembly line thingy some carwashes do not let you wash your car if your wheel is wider then 225
just go to a detailing shop then =/
Old 01-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Sam405

I went to one and nothing happen, but since everyone is saying no i think i sholudn't go nemore lol ..
Old 01-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Silver350ZAZ

N O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:59 PM
macca44

definite no, man those things will wreck the paint, pull off wipers, mirrors and all kinds of things on any car
Old 01-10-2006, 03:33 PM
UnderdogZ

Helll to da No!!!!!!! might as well ride your Z against a rail guard...

Hand wash only best if done by owner who cares.....
Old 01-10-2006, 05:13 PM
netman_one

A mechanized car wash? – Blasphemy!

Your penance is to now wash your Z using One to two 5 gallon jugs of bottled water with a clean microfiber cloth, and then use an electric leaf blower to quickly dry the car and all crevices. Another dry microfiber cloth should be handy to dry inside the door frames and the trunk area.

That’s a Car Wash!
Old 01-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Mang

Thanks for the information, you are all lucky that in your place there is no environmental law enforcement that forbids "hand-wash" cars as many places in Europe.
Because of the restriction there is no alternative than a Carwash machine.
(Besides a dirty car)
Carwash machine development is on a very high level, mainly German & Italian technology, they claim less scratches compared to handwash and less water consumption. Depends on the program a complete machine wash (incl. drying cost around $ 20,= ) Not really cheap but very good business. A fine will around $ 100,=. Because owners manual doesn't allow machine wash, every time I driving my clean ZR you know I have risked $ 100...........................
Old 01-11-2006, 05:04 AM
Yohan33

Gosh, that would suck to not hand wash your car because many times the dead bugs on the front bumper wont come off. I've learned that first hand.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:09 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me get this straight... Its illegal to wash YOUR car in YOUR Driveway with Water YOU pay for?
Old 01-11-2006, 05:34 AM
del105
15 f125

I take it to the car wash place all the time. IT costs 11 dollars for them to wash my car and I've never had a problem. The Z is a damned 30k japanese car not a ferrari. There are honda accords that cost more than the Z what is the big deal?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:16 AM
finsfanscot

sq40 - See what a great country we live in?!?

Indeed, there are many places in Europe where it is illegal to hand wash your car in your driveway with water that you have paid for.

A few reasons for this:

1 - Most places do not have the storm drains/sewers that are common here in the states. Remember, (most of) Europe is old, so many of the houses don't have their own driveways. Folks park on the street or in lots in/near their buildings. So the runoff from the car wash could easily get into the groundwater supply, which may or may not be treated before it is used on crops. Then the poisonous soap may get a trace amount on the outside of a corn stalk and cause widespread death and famine.

2 - The places that do have drainage systems are not desgined to capture/process significant amounts of detergent. The formulas for laundry soap in Europe are different than what they use in the states as well.

3 - Most of Europe subsidizes businesses in one way or another, this is one way they can help ensure more people stay employed (at the car wash or building newer/better ones).

4 - Europeans are fanatical about their "quiet". In most of Europe it is illegal to mow your lawn (if you are lucky/wealthy enough to have one) on Sunday. There are similar restrictions on car washing, tree cutting, etc.

This is based on an American living in Switzerland for 2 1/2 years.

Having said that, I washed my car in the driveway anyway, but I didn't have my Z there, only a SMART car and a crappy Citroen....
Old 01-11-2006, 09:01 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sq40
Let me get this straight... Its illegal to wash YOUR car in YOUR Driveway with Water YOU pay for?
During times of drought in California the same thing happens here.

The biggest issue I have seen with car washes so far is with the rims. The rollers/tracks that guide the car can put fine scratches in the paint on the rims because they are flush or stick out from the low profile tires.

Chris
Old 01-11-2006, 12:33 PM
firulice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would probably be the guy sitting in jail for washing my car and getting caught to many times.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:39 PM
ohw

finsfanscot,
What if you wash your car with just water, no detergent? Do they allow that? I live in Canada. There is a similar law, like yours, in our city that we are not suppose to use detergent when washing cars on our drive way. The fine is small and most people ignore it. 99% of the time, I just use water with no detergent. If you do it frequently, I find plain water works just fine.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:45 PM
flyzmd80

Originally Posted by finsfanscot
sq40 - See what a great country we live in?!?

Indeed, there are many places in Europe where it is illegal to hand wash your car in your driveway with water that you have paid for.

A few reasons for this:

1 - Most places do not have the storm drains/sewers that are common here in the states. Remember, (most of) Europe is old, so many of the houses don't have their own driveways. Folks park on the street or in lots in/near their buildings. So the runoff from the car wash could easily get into the groundwater supply, which may or may not be treated before it is used on crops. Then the poisonous soap may get a trace amount on the outside of a corn stalk and cause widespread death and famine.

2 - The places that do have drainage systems are not desgined to capture/process significant amounts of detergent. The formulas for laundry soap in Europe are different than what they use in the states as well.

3 - Most of Europe subsidizes businesses in one way or another, this is one way they can help ensure more people stay employed (at the car wash or building newer/better ones).

4 - Europeans are fanatical about their "quiet". In most of Europe it is illegal to mow your lawn (if you are lucky/wealthy enough to have one) on Sunday. There are similar restrictions on car washing, tree cutting, etc.

This is based on an American living in Switzerland for 2 1/2 years.

Having said that, I washed my car in the driveway anyway, but I didn't have my Z there, only a SMART car and a crappy Citroen....

We will be facing the same if Madame Hillary makes it to office!!!!!

Z
Old 01-12-2006, 10:10 PM
rlw888

I never trust anyone to wash my car. They always do a ****ty job and put swirl marks as well as scratches!! They will never take care of the car even close to what a car enth. will. mycar=mychild :-)