Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

BMW Z4 vs. Nissan 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 07:11 PM
FloridaBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uhh, yeah... well have you read some of those posts? One guy has gone through 3 or 4 tops! After having my own business for over 10 years I don't mind taking risks, and I don't mind living my life on the edge, just don't want to live it at the dealer's service dept... no thanks.
Now on the other hand, if we start getting some positive posts here like yours or maybe a link to a Nissan web page that can list published statistics of how many of these tops are failing, a clear plan from Nissan for a fix, maybe a corporate statement or something about an improved top for 2005...? But I have no patience for a company continuing to install bad parts over and over again. If I understand it correctly, after the 3 yr/36 months are up, you're SCREWED.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:37 PM
mwest300zx

I've owned convertibles since the day I got my license which is probably before most of you were born.

I now have the time and money to play with my toys. I road race as much as possible here in the North East. My primary track car is a supercharged Miata. When it is down or when I feel like it I use my 350z.

I also currently own:
300zx convertible
230sl roadster
Boxster
Sebring Convertible (used to be my wifes car)
Subaru Outback Wagon--my kayak, bike and all around carry stuff vehicle

My brother has a Z4 and one of my track buddies has a Z4. I've spent quite a bit of time in the Z4. I would stick with the 350z. No comparison and a lot less of a maintenance hassle.

That being said, the Boxster was my Christmas present to my this past Christmas. It's a tiptronic because she won't drive a stick and therefore can't drive our other cars. Iniatially, I thought the Boxster and the tiptronic sucked. But, after driving it a few more times I am impressed. The handling is incredible, the tiptronic still sucks. Way superior to the the 350z. A plus is also the 2 large trunks. Makes it easy to travel.

I am now considering trading my 04 Z for an 02 Boxster S. The S and the 350 are pretty even in straight up speed, 0 to 60, 0 to 100. But, the handling of the mid engine Boxster is far superior. I am patiently searching for a dealer willing to trade an 02 under 25k miles even up for an 04 350z roadster with
12k on it.

If I were you and you enjoy real all out handling/performance--check out the Boxster S. Otherwise bag the Z4 and get yourself a 350z.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:53 PM
FloridaBoy

mwest; I hear you but... trying to stay on topic,
I'm not interested in a Porsche only the Z4 or 350Z...
a few questions on those:
1. Care to comment on the 350Z threads here about the problem tops?
2. What do you mean by the Z4 maintenance hassles, can you be specific.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 02-01-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:47 AM
LSRoadster

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy
mwest; I hear you but... trying to stay on topic,
I'm not interested in a Porsche only the Z4 or 350Z...
a few questions on those:
1. Care to comment on the 350Z threads here about the problem tops?
2. What do you mean by the Z4 maintenance hassles, can you be specific.
I have not heard of that many problems with the top. Sure a few in here. But how many people start post that say. My top is not breaking.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:10 AM
pawnmarty

Default 350z Vs Bmw Z4

wanna be scared about bmws? check out how the frame cracks on z3 and m roadsters.(look on mz3.net or google z3 frame cracks)i had an mz3(m roadster)and discovered the very beginnings of this problem so i dumped it. the 350 is as fast and much more solid. also, the z3s were very tail happy. if you get the rear kicking out and dare to let off the gas you are going around w the z it just tucks back in. MARTY
Old 02-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Built2shredZ

Uhh, yeah... well have you read some of those posts? One guy has gone through 3 or 4 tops! After having my own business for over 10 years I don't mind taking risks, and I don't mind living my life on the edge, just don't want to live it at the dealer's service dept... no thanks.
Now on the other hand, if we start getting some positive posts here like yours or maybe a link to a Nissan web page that can list published statistics of how many of these tops are failing, a clear plan from Nissan for a fix, maybe a corporate statement or something about an improved top for 2005...? But I have no patience for a company continuing to install bad parts over and over again. If I understand it correctly, after the 3 yr/36 months are up, you're SCREWED.
I was just giving you a hard time

Setup a poll and see how many have had problems, If I was a betting man I would say it is less then 5% of owners.... But Im just guessing as the issue only seems to affect a few on the boards... But I could be wrong.

Don't blame you for being cautious, having your car sit at a dealership all the time does suck.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:59 PM
FloridaBoy

There already is a poll:
https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadster/157154-zr-soft-top-separation-problem-poll.html

I guess the problem itself doesn't bother me as much as the fact I see they are installing the same problem over and over again (3 tops, 4 tops) and I see no solid evidence of a solution.
I have a month or so before I'll be pulling the trigger on this so I'll just keep an eye on it, maybe talk to a Nissan dealer down here.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 02-02-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:52 AM
LSRoadster

There already is a poll:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157154

I guess the problem itself doesn't bother me as much as the fact I see they are installing the same problem over and over again (3 tops, 4 tops) and I see no solid evidence of a solution.
I have a month or so before I'll be pulling the trigger on this so I'll just keep an eye on it, maybe talk to a Nissan dealer down here.
After three it is a lemon, if it happened to me I wouldnt stand for it.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:33 AM
.Sin.

if u planning to mod it...
get the 350ZR

if u planning to keep it stock..
get the Z4...

people in this thread are posting picture comparing a stock Z4 to a modded 350ZR...
Old 02-04-2006, 04:27 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 years ago, I looked at the S2000, 350 ZR, and Z4. Fortunately all three dealers were within 1 mile of each other and I got to drive all back-to back on the same stretch of test road which included both highway and country back road driving.

Looks: The Z roadster wins hands down. This car is stunning from every angle. It draws looks everywhere. People gather around it in parking lots. I used to hate the Z4, but it grew on me. I still think the proportions are a bit off. Trunk could use a few more inches of length. Also not a big fan of the weird bangles, err.....angles.

Straight line speed: even steven for the most part, so take that out of the equation

Aftermarket potential: much better for the Z

handling: tie in stock form

shifter: Z's throws are shorter, but a bit stiffer. I like the feel of the Z's stubby shifter better. Z wins here.

steering: BMW feels a little sharper in the turn-in, but I've always found BMW's to have steering wheels that are too big. Nismo suspension/wheels will elevate chassis responsiveness well above a stock Z4

Fit and Finish: Bimmer, no question

Prestige factor: Bimmer, of course, but the Z just looks like an exotic. Guaranteed that side by side, the ZR will look more impressive. I'm also past the point in life where I care about the prestige thing. When I was a bit younger and had just started to make good money, I bought an Audi S4. At this point I could pretty much buy anything under $90-100K. I'll still chose the ZR.

In the end, I went with the Z for its looks, more powerful engine, and aftermrket potential. I don not regret that decision one bit. I also like the rarity of the Z roadster, at least here in the Northeast compared to the Z4.

My Nissan dealer told me a great story:

There was a white ZR sitting in their showroom. Apparently, there was a guy out test driving a Z4 when he saw me in my ZR at a stoplight. He immediately returned the Z4, went to the Nissan dealership, drove the ZR and bought it on the spot. That about says it all.

Last edited by Speedracer; 02-04-2006 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:49 AM
FloridaBoy

Speedracer, I hear you. Very good points.
I guess for me, handling and power, performance, are all great on both of these cars; I have driven them both and to me that's simply not an issue.
They are pretty close in those departments.

I've been thinking about it while reading everyone's great comments and I think what I demand is reliabilty... above anything else really. I simply have no patience for problematic vehicles... I run my own company and don't have time or patience to always be going to a dealer and getting things FIXED. If I pay 35 or 40K for a vehicle and see holes in the top after a year I will hit the roof. See, now they are taking my time.

Soooo, that's why I'm at this forum really. I'm sniffing for repeat problems like the holes in the tops thing. So far, my experiences with Japanese cars is excellent. I have no experience with BMW, but the Z4 is the only other car I am considering. Still researching...
Old 02-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking about it while reading everyone's great comments and I think what I demand is reliabilty... above anything else really. I simply have no patience for problematic vehicles... I run my own company and don't have time or patience to always be going to a dealer and getting things FIXED.

I feel exactly the same way. I am a very busy professional, and absolutely hate hassles. Just don't have time or patience for them. This is one of the reasons that I ended up removing a supercharger that I had installed on my Z. Too many little things kept popping up.

In two years of owneship, I have had ZERO problems with my Z (except those related to the aforementioned supercharger). Top is in perfect condition and works perfectly.

Be weary of the complaints you read about on forums such as these. It gives some very skewed impressions of the data. The truth is that probably only about 5-10% of all Z owners have ever been on this website and all cars will have some lemons. Overall, Nissan reliability is far above that of BMW.

Get the ZR.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:45 PM
FloridaBoy

Ahh, it's good to hear a positive post about reliabilty. Glad to hear that.
You say, "Overall, Nissan reliability is far above that of BMW."
Not doubting you here, but...
What are you basing that on? I have a current membership with the Consumer Reports website, and they rate both vehicles as "average" for reliability. Also, both of them have a couple of areas that have proven far below average, earning them both "poor" ratings in those areas.
This is stark to me, compared to say, the Camry--a vehicle that sells for half the cost, which has an almost perfect record at CR going back to the 1980's.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:56 AM
maxpowers

I hear what your saying, but keep in mind ZR owners seem to be pretty vocal about the negatives and less on the positives. I've been in the Porsche community and BMW community and you get a lot more posts about "how great the car is" or "i love my car".

I find the Z guys to be much more critical (and more technically minded per capita). At the end of the day you might get a more negative feeling after reading through posts but the focus here tends to be on the real issues (which at least saves you a lot of searching).

Old 02-06-2006, 09:40 AM
LA_Z

FloridaBoy, I too had the same decison to make as you, ZR or Z4. After speaking with some local Z4 owners and researching the ZR issues I made what I feel is the right decsion (for me). I'm picking up my ZR this afternoon.

I also agree with maxpowers on his assessment of the Z community and this site's users ... vocal, knowledgeable, and critical.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:53 AM
NissanBlack350Z

350z
Old 02-06-2006, 10:20 AM
paul_kemshall

No comparison in terms of torque or HP compared to a Z4 or Boxster S...
Attached Thumbnails BMW Z4 vs. Nissan 350Z-2006_compare-dynos.jpg  
Old 02-07-2006, 03:49 PM
FloridaBoy

Just in; I have a personal reply from CR auto technician John Ibbotson the resident Consumer Reports expert... he says, "going by our data... the 350Z should prove more reliable than the Z4."
Old 02-07-2006, 06:25 PM
jdg345

Yep, agreed... that sucker is pricey.
I can get one here with 22Kmiles for $40K.
But to be honest I just like the looks of the two Z's better.

I am glad you are not having those problems with the top.
Hopefully others here will say the same... ?
2k5 Model here, no top issues so far ... this is the thing though: with a convertible, you're always going to have some issue with the top sooner or later ... whether it be a pin hole or a small leak by the window seal, etc ... typically these things don't come up for a few years, but they eventually do pop up depending on how you care for your top and how often you stow it, etc.

Convertibles, especially in FL, are just awesome. I doesn't look like you've ever owned one before, but I can tell you this. After you do own one, you'll either hate it and never want to see another one, or you'll love it so much that it will be the first thing you look for in a new car. FWIW ...
Old 02-07-2006, 07:27 PM
FloridaBoy

Originally Posted by jdg345
Convertibles, especially in FL, are just awesome. I doesn't look like you've ever owned one before, but I can tell you this. After you do own one, you'll either hate it and never want to see another one, or you'll love it so much that it will be the first thing you look for in a new car. FWIW ...
I hear you, I'm always opening the 38 inch sunroof on my Limited Edition Sequoia and putting the windows down...
what does that tell you?

Quick Reply: BMW Z4 vs. Nissan 350Z