Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Pre-Buying questions! Lots

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Austin_KC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Buying questions! Lots

Hey guys, i'm preety new here and I guess I should introduce myself first. My name is Austin and i'm from KC, i'm 17 years old. Thats basically it..

The other day I went to the Nissan dealership to see if I could fit in the roadster (I'm 6'3-6'4 210 pounds) so I can't fit in the majority of the convertibles made by companies. They didn't have any roadsters sitting on the lot but I did sit in a coupe and let me tell you what.. There was a TON of room still left, I was really suprised to find that I had more headroom in that than my current Jeep Grand Cherokee. I asked the salesman if the headroom would be similar in the convertible version.. And he just grunted yes (typical). So heres my questions:

For the taller users of the 350z, do you fit? Is it too small or do you feel like you have alot of good room?

I'm looking at getting a 2005 or 2006 preowned with 15-30k miles on it, i'm willing to spend more on the 2006 if there was ever issues on any of the 2005's or anything of that manner. Which year would be better? Was there any updates between the 2005-2006?

I live in Kansas so there is some snow fall year around, would a Z get around in a small amount of snow with good winter tires?

I've never driven stick before, and was interested in getting a manual, but i've researched and found that the taller users of the cars have troubles with there arm hitting up against things while trying to shift and there legs bending weird to put in the clutch. If I was to get a manual would it be an easy first manual car? I live in the city with decent stop/go traffic so would that be a problem? Is the tiptronic just as enjoyable as the manual (probably not lol).

And finally if I was to get a car would you suggest I put in a full nismo exhaust system? A person that used to go to school had a full nismo in his Z and it sounded incredible. The question is basically.. Does the nismo face any problems? and would installing the exhaust void the cars total warranty at all?

Also the rear view window looks preety small on the car, is there a ton of blind spots to worry about?

Thanks guys,
Austin
Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 PM
*Boose*

Figured I could answer your post before the bashers who see you're 17 do. Basically welcome to the forum. But many of your questions have been answered before. Just use the search function. Basically the 06 from quite a few of the roadster people have had the oil consumption problems. Me myself in my 06 coupe have not seen any problems whatsoever. I'm also close to 6'2 and have no problems entering and exiting my car.

For the first manual transmission car though. I'd strongly suggest you buy something else to learn on. Basically the cost of the new clutch probably isn't what you'd expect coming from driving a Gran Cherokee. Definitely invest in a honda civic, or some other beater to practice before you start to upgrade.

The 350Z has a lot of power. A lot of people have tested the limits at a young age and are not able to speak about their experiences today. Respect the car and it will respect you. Just act mature when driving the car for the sake of the other drivers on the road. Yes we know the car can go past 150 mph. Yes it is dangerous and should be practiced on a closed track. Please be careful and good luck searching.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Austin_KC

Originally Posted by NoWin
Figured I could answer your post before the bashers who see you're 17 do. Basically welcome to the forum. But many of your questions have been answered before. Just use the search function. Basically the 06 from quite a few of the roadster people have had the oil consumption problems. Me myself in my 06 coupe have not seen any problems whatsoever. I'm also close to 6'2 and have no problems entering and exiting my car.

For the first manual transmission car though. I'd strongly suggest you buy something else to learn on. Basically the cost of the new clutch probably isn't what you'd expect coming from driving a Gran Cherokee. Definitely invest in a honda civic, or some other beater to practice before you start to upgrade.

The 350Z has a lot of power. A lot of people have tested the limits at a young age and are not able to speak about their experiences today. Respect the car and it will respect you. Just act mature when driving the car for the sake of the other drivers on the road. Yes we know the car can go past 150 mph. Yes it is dangerous and should be practiced on a closed track. Please be careful and good luck searching.

Thanks for the advice, I already figured i'll get bashed on.. Even though every cent being invested in the car is mine. Lol
Old 04-01-2009, 12:17 AM
*Boose*

It's more to it than you being able to afford the car. Insurance rates since 2005 for the 350Z have increased because of young drivers be able to afford them or their parents buying them. That's the problem. So like I said respect the car.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 AM
FishBrownie

Austin, first off, the Z roadster is a wonderful car. I have an '06 and absolutely love it. Regarding the '05 vs. '06, I would get whichever one would get you the best deal. But, like a previous poster mentioned, there are oil consumption issues with some '06 models with the rev-up engine. There is a date of manufacturing for those engines with the oil issues, I think it is on cars manuf. between Feb-May of '06, I could be wrong on the dates. There is a very lengthy thread regarding this issue. Use the search function. As for winter driving, I would avoid it in the Z. There are some owners who have all weather tires or winter tires to put on the Z (it comes with summer tires) and have no complaints about driving it in the snow. I tried one time to drive in snow with my summer tires and made it one block from my house and turned around. Not recommended. I'm not quite as tall as you (only 6'-0") and have no issues entering/exiting the car and have good headroom. There is nothing restricting elbow room while shifting.
As for the insurance, get quotes to see if you can actually afford the high rates that will come with your age/car combination. I agree that you should probably learn on another car for a couple of years before the Z (btw, a hardtop convertible is rumored for next year, would be a good buy for a used 2010 model in 2012). The Z is costly to maintain and replace stuff, especially tires. That would be something to consider when buying one as well. Anyway, my $.02. Good luck and welcome to the forums.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Phreakdout

Headroom: I'm 6'4" (with a bit more bulk than you) and I do fine in the convertible. Personally, I think the headroom is better than in the coupe. However, the seat does not recline as much.

For winter: I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Z isn't very much fun in winter and it's better on your paint if you avoid it. So keep the Jeep or skip the idea of a Z for winter.

Manual Trans: It's easy. But start learning on a Celica or a mini-pickup. Learning on a fast high horsepower car may get you in trouble quickly. My sister-in-law started learning on a N/A 300ZX. She went to pass someone and downshifted from 5th into 2nd gear. Her lack of experience caused her to wreck after putting the car into a spin. First walk then fly.

A Z at 17: (My editorial) Your friend with the Nismo exhaust that USED to go to school with you ... why is he not going anymore? Probably distracted by the car and not focused on school.

A fun car like the Z can suck up all you cash in gas, mods, insurance and what not. College can't be done at night in 4 years. We know you'll need a job to pay the gas and insurance. What fun is all that when you have no time left to drive?

You are just starting life. Get a piece of crap 1973 Grand Torino and take it to college. Drive it once a semester to get beer or visit home. School is your best investment. Cars are a liability that will take your life in a direction you don't need right now. Yes, we all wanted a car at that age. Resist the urge and stay in school. After college, then go buy the toys. You will thank me later for that advice. (End editorial)

Good luck to you in what ever you do. If you go through with the Z, just take it slow and be smart.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Austin_KC

Originally Posted by dave079
Stating your age is not going to help you much here. All of those questions have been answered numerous times. You do realize insurance alone could cost $300-600/mo right?
I've been quoted on a 2005 350zR for $500 semiannually so that's not to big of a problem.

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
A Z at 17: (My editorial) Your friend with the Nismo exhaust that USED to go to school with you ... why is he not going anymore? Probably distracted by the car and not focused on school.
He was a senior last year.. He's in college now.

Thanks for the rest of the info guys.

Last edited by Austin_KC; 04-01-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:45 PM
bigb996

i dont know where your getting your quotes from but 500.00 doesnt sound even close to right. If this is your first manual transmission car, ill be honest its a HORRIBLE one to learn on. Get you a honda civic or something to learn on first. If your 6'2 you will fit no problem, but much taller you may have issues.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:53 PM
XV8Crisis

this has got to be one of the more educated kids I have seen attempting to buy a car
Old 04-19-2009, 08:54 PM
MrWatchDawg

i am selling my 05 Z convertible with 50k miles lol
Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by austin_kc
i'm 17 years old.
HRAESVLEG UP IN THIS B!TCH AND I GOT A B!TCH WIF ME!!! YYYYYYEEEEESSSSSSSS!!! WE GONNA HAVE A FUKING RAPE PARTY!!!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, so how long until the Z is no longer a "cool" car and kids stop wanting it?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flick Montana
Ok, so how long until the Z is no longer a "cool" car and kids stop wanting it?
When Vin Diesel dies in one.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Flick Montana

Would it count if he were just run over by one?

On a side, what would it cost to repair the front bumper and hood of a Z?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:58 PM
kyx4n

Lol..

people never learn..

+1 for him actually researching on the car first though,
unlike those dumbasses whose first question is "Can i haz 22s on my Z to get the honeyz?"
Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 AM
ekelly36

Haters.... Anyways... If you are going to mod the car make sure you get an 07 or newer for the HR motor. The 06 and older is not very stout, and for the price difference it would be well worth. Also the 370Z roadster is going to be on dealer lots this summer, that means the prices will drop significantly. You may be able to get in a nicer equiped car for the same amount you would spend now. Also, use the search feature because there are a bunch of crabby old haters here that love to just try to belittle and talk down to people making them feel stupid. Ignore the e-thugs around here that like to argue about everything or point out flaws. Welcome!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Flick Montana

Crabby old man haters. Drinking hatorade since 1936.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
HRAESVLEG UP IN THIS B!TCH AND I GOT A B!TCH WIF ME!!! YYYYYYEEEEESSSSSSSS!!! WE GONNA HAVE A FUKING RAPE PARTY!!!

win.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Blu Hvn

Austin, to answer some of your questions from my perspective:
*My brother, who is taller and heavier than you fit fine in my '05 Roadster.
*A friend of mine here in Kansas City drove his '06 Roadster year round. The key, as you already suggested, is having the right tires.
*As already mentioned, the '06s with manual transmissions had what's called the "rev up" motor. Some has oil consumption issues. There is a LOT of info here on the subject.
*The '06s (I believe) received an updated interior (cup holders added to the door handles and a few other changes) and new tail lights and headlights.
*Re. the transmission choose whatever you're most comfortable with. Personally, I wouldn't want to learn on a Z but some are quicker learners than others.
*That insurance quote does seem way low. Are you insuring under your name or your folks?
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Pre-Buying questions! Lots