Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Check your Roadster top for pinholes

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 05:40 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AAAHHH!!!

darn, i heard a whistling noise coming from my passengers side top today. i thought it was odd because i never noticed it being so noisy with the top up before. i tried rolling down the window and rolling it back up, but the sound was still there.

then i saw it. an area of sunlight shining through. the size of half an eraser head right where that cross bar is. i stuck my finger on it and the whistling stopped. now i gotta go and wrestle with my dealer about getting a new top too. drat and double drat.

gary
Old 11-11-2003, 01:08 PM
pisces9ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the Zaino treatment on Sunday and checked for the infamous pinhole, found 'em! Right at the point where the fabric is stressed by the support bars. Will be calling the Nissan1 line and will be checking with the dealer on a new top!
Old 11-11-2003, 01:32 PM
jminor

Default Pin Holes Identified w/ VINs

Lets begin a list (database) of everyone who has positively identified their top as having pin holes, and those who have had the dealer agree to replace their tops. It would be most useful to include only the last five digits of their VIN number with each response. This information would be useful to those who may have this condition to see what's going on out there as a tool when dealing with our own dealers.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:44 PM
350zRoadster04

Default New top update

After living with the new top for awhile, I want to report a few issues.

1. There seems to be more wind noise than the previous top. Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread and I agree. It does seem a bit noisier. Not quite sure why because it looks virtually the same except for the extra stitching.

2. There is a bit of foam padding showing on the passenger side of the top where the window meets the top. I noticed this on a new Roadster at the dealer too. It looks like you can just clip the excess foam padding off with scissors, but I'll have the dealer do it in case clipping it causes something else to occur.

3. The new top rattles a little over rough pavement on the driver's side. It didn't bother me much at first, but it's getting progressively more annoying. It sounds like the rattle is coming from behind me where the top meets the tonneau cover, but I can't tell for sure. It's tough to pinpoint when I'm driving, so I'll take a friend with me and see if I can get some help identifying the source so that I can have the dealer fix.

4. The dealer scratched the passenger side rollbar cover and put a tiny hole at the top of the passenger door panel when installing the top. The parts are on backorder and the dealer will replace both under warranty.

5. Most importantly, no pinhole problems at all to report on the new top. Nissan seems to have fixed that problem.

On another note, something weird happened the other day. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned on my hazards, I then turned on my left turning signal and turned off my hazards. From that point on, I lost the "tick tick" sound from the turning signal. Once I turned off the car and turned it back on, the turning signal tick came back. No big deal...just another oddity.

I still love the car and am glad I got rid of my IS300.

Last edited by 350zRoadster04; 11-12-2003 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Ant350

Thanks for the update.....interesting that the new top is more noisy then the old one............

Is there a time frame when Nissan starting installing the 'newer' top on the Roadsters......I heard ones that were built from August all have the new top............

Can someone confirm this?

Thanks
Ant
Old 11-14-2003, 08:01 PM
topdown-z

Default Replacement Top

When you guys are talking about getting "new" tops, are you getting the whole top including the frame, etc... or just the material changed??

My Roadster was built in July and I have 4 holes on each side of my top that look just like the photos that "Thumper" provided in his 10/14 thread. It doesn't look like they are wear holes but they are certainly holes that go through the first layer of the material.

Would someone please look at "thumper's" 10/14 photo and let me know if those are the type of holes that Nissan will replace my top for.

Many thanks in advance for your help....
Old 11-15-2003, 04:55 AM
350zRoadster04

Default Re: Replacement Top

Originally posted by topdown-z
When you guys are talking about getting "new" tops, are you getting the whole top including the frame, etc... or just the material changed??

My Roadster was built in July and I have 4 holes on each side of my top that look just like the photos that "Thumper" provided in his 10/14 thread. It doesn't look like they are wear holes but they are certainly holes that go through the first layer of the material.

Would someone please look at "thumper's" 10/14 photo and let me know if those are the type of holes that Nissan will replace my top for.

Many thanks in advance for your help....
They replace the entire top including the frame.

The phtos that Thumper posted look like the holes that are on every ZR built in June and July. My understanding is that Nissan will only replace the top if you have wear holes that go all the way through to the outside of the top.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:22 AM
Ant350

Default Re: Re: Replacement Top

Originally posted by 350zRoadster04
They replace the entire top including the frame.

The phtos that Thumper posted look like the holes that are on every ZR built in June and July. .
So if your Roadster was built in August or beyond that means we have the "new" top?

Correct?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2003, 04:40 AM
Chasw1269

Default Re: Re: Re: Replacement Top

Originally posted by Ant350
So if your Roadster was built in August or beyond that means we have the "new" top?

Correct?

Thanks
It should be. All feedback we've heard has indicated that Nissan went to the new top with the August built cars.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:55 AM
sujo16

My build date is 7/03 and I don't have the double stitching on my top. My pinholes haven't worn through but 2-3" behind them the seams are fraying on left and right sides. I still haven't gotten the tonneau/trunk adjusted and repainted.
I'm going to the dealer on Monday to show him the top wear. This thread might have to be my wingman.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:24 AM
mrice
Banned

my build date is 0703 also, my car is put away for the winter, top resolution will have to hold for spring.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:09 PM
thumper90501

Just got word from my dealer...he said that the new tops are on national back order...whatever that means. He couldn't give me a firm date as to when I can expect it. Delaer ordered the part end of October.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Intrepid175

Originally posted by thumper90501
Just got word from my dealer...he said that the new tops are on national back order...whatever that means. He couldn't give me a firm date as to when I can expect it. Delaer ordered the part end of October.
National back order means, "nobody has one" anywhere. All production is going into the new car production. When I worked for a Lincoln/Mercury parts department, a national back order could be filled next week or six to eight months from now. I just depended on what the part was and what the demand for it was.

Bottom line, be prepared for a "long" wait but hopefully they'll catch up on the production side of things and be able to fill your order in a month or less.

Good luck & Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:54 AM
muscleknight

I just checked my roadster and I have the double stitched top. My build date is 07/03. Maybe it was built closer to the end of the month of August.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:33 PM
taz

where can i find my build date? sorry, this is probly a stupid post but i have no idea where this info might be.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Intrepid175

Originally posted by taz
where can i find my build date? sorry, this is probly a stupid post but i have no idea where this info might be.
Nope, not a stupid question at all. If I'm not mistaken (others will correct me if I'm wrong ), you should find a sticker on the end of the door or body of the car, just where the door weather strips are located. This should have lots of data on it like, gross vehicle weights, VIN number, possibly recommended tire pressures, and "the build date!"

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:38 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, that is where it is.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:59 PM
babe

uh oh...mine was a 06/03 top...and it rains like hell here..I need to check this out....thanks!
Old 11-30-2003, 04:05 PM
jrofman

I have noticed the same thing too. When I got my Z with the top up it was silent, then maybe two months ago I started noticing the whistling. I asked my girlfriend once to try and figure out where it was coming from since it was on the passenger side and she couldn't, but today she noticed a hole big enough to let light through. There is only one, and tomorrow I am going to take it to the dealer. However, I don't like the Santa Monica dealer, but I'm going to try and see about getting a new top. I am also going to send my own dealer an email and see what they say. Build Date: 6/03.

Originally posted by ragtopz
AAAHHH!!!

darn, i heard a whistling noise coming from my passengers side top today. i thought it was odd because i never noticed it being so noisy with the top up before. i tried rolling down the window and rolling it back up, but the sound was still there.

then i saw it. an area of sunlight shining through. the size of half an eraser head right where that cross bar is. i stuck my finger on it and the whistling stopped. now i gotta go and wrestle with my dealer about getting a new top too. drat and double drat.

gary

Last edited by jrofman; 12-01-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:00 AM
zpylot

Originally posted by 350zRoadster04
Their only choice is to replace your top. The hole can only get worse and will eventually leak when it rains if it gets large enough. Keep us updated.
Finally heard from dealer. The caller identified himself and I was surprised to get a call, I had given up. He asked "Has anybody called you to tell you your top is in?"

I am taking the car in on Thursday morning. They need it for two days, it should be ready by Friday. I will post before and after photos.

Quick Reply: Check your Roadster top for pinholes