Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Check your Roadster top for pinholes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 05:00 PM
mrice
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" To my surprise, no documentation came with the assembly, so they may need to work on it up to two days (my car was only gone for six hours)." zoner

They have a TSB, 16 pages and very detailed, for the top replacement... now if the shop will just READ it!
Old 05-13-2004, 12:55 PM
gvoeller

I have a Lemans Sunset with a July 2003 build date. The wear spots were evident at 2000 miles and became holes at 4000 miles. Took it to the dealer and called Nissan 1-800-nissan1. Got a case number and 2 weeks later the full assembly arrived. It took them one day to replace and no outsourcing - do not out let them outsource if at all possible. Good job except alignment alittle off. Also they left it filthy.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:24 PM
SeanG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Build date 7/03, Vin#3105, 5,000 miles. No pinholes or problems with the top at this point.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:52 PM
gvoeller

just wait
Old 05-20-2004, 07:37 PM
mrice
Banned

Just got mine back today with the new top, it seems noisier on the road than the old one, but I think Ill live with it, my incompetent dealer causes more problems than they correct. 3 long scratches through the paint on the nose and orange overspray on the entire car; this after 25+ Zaino coats. The interior of the top looks different but I cant put my finger on what it is. My build date was July 03 so it was one of the first ones. The rear window looks different too, not sure why either, and the long seam across the back IS double stitched.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:00 AM
SeanG

Originally posted by gvoeller
just wait
I wouldn't mind a new top. But, I could live without all the drama that goes with it. I just hope that I'm one of the other lucky ones who will not have an issue. Who knows down the road, but it has a 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper. It should show up by then.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:05 AM
350zRoadster04

Default Re: New top update

Originally posted by 350zRoadster04
After living with the new top for awhile, I want to report a few issues.

1. There seems to be more wind noise than the previous top. Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread and I agree. It does seem a bit noisier. Not quite sure why because it looks virtually the same except for the extra stitching.

2. There is a bit of foam padding showing on the passenger side of the top where the window meets the top. I noticed this on a new Roadster at the dealer too. It looks like you can just clip the excess foam padding off with scissors, but I'll have the dealer do it in case clipping it causes something else to occur.

3. The new top rattles a little over rough pavement on the driver's side. It didn't bother me much at first, but it's getting progressively more annoying. It sounds like the rattle is coming from behind me where the top meets the tonneau cover, but I can't tell for sure. It's tough to pinpoint when I'm driving, so I'll take a friend with me and see if I can get some help identifying the source so that I can have the dealer fix.

4. The dealer scratched the passenger side rollbar cover and put a tiny hole at the top of the passenger door panel when installing the top. The parts are on backorder and the dealer will replace both under warranty.

5. Most importantly, no pinhole problems at all to report on the new top. Nissan seems to have fixed that problem.

On another note, something weird happened the other day. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned on my hazards, I then turned on my left turning signal and turned off my hazards. From that point on, I lost the "tick tick" sound from the turning signal. Once I turned off the car and turned it back on, the turning signal tick came back. No big deal...just another oddity.

I still love the car and am glad I got rid of my IS300.
Believe it or not, I just now got my scratched roll bar cover replaced yesterday as well as the door panel. Both look great and I'm glad that part of my ordeal is over. Only complaint now is the increasingly apparent rattles throughout the car over rough payment. I have 11,500 miles now.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:16 PM
yasalexis

Default Just took my car in

I just brought my car to Valencia Nissan and fortunately they told me that they would take care of everything and get a top and all right away. I was relieved that they told me that they've already dealt with this. I'll keep you all posted. I have 3 holes right now - 2 near the corner seams where the bar rubs against the fabric and one that looks like a small slice to the top in front of that. They should be calling in a day or so and then I'll give the update. They did already notify me that the replacement should take them a full day, so we shall see.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:06 PM
SeanG

OK!!.....I should have keep my big fat mouth shut. I posted that I had no holes. We'll within a couple of days guess what just popped up. I have wear through holes starting on both sides of the top, right where the two top seams meet with the back section.

Took it to dealer today. They said they will need to call Nissan to let them know, and get approval to replace the top.

They outsource the work on the tops. The guy has replaced 2 tops on my old Eclipse Spyder, he does do some good work. We'll see what happens now.

Next time I'm going to keep my good luck to my self!!
Old 06-11-2004, 11:38 AM
yasalexis

Nissan Valencia finally got the top in and I dropped off the car a few days ago. They told me that it should be done by tonight! For those of you who may not notice large holes from the outside, try looking from the inside. Although the holes in my top appeared to be small pinholes, from the inside, they appear to be much larger wear spots. Mine were about the size of a pencil eraser head from the inside, although they had not worn completely through to the outside where I had been checking for wear. I was disappointed that the dealership couldn't get me a rental for the last 3 days that they have had my car, but lucked out and got to borrow an S2000 I'll continue to keep you posted!
Old 06-23-2004, 08:23 AM
jwkirkland

Vin # 0008 Build Date 5/03

Just discovered the holes due to some "new" windnoise.
Calling Nissan today.

Live in San Diego so top is down almost 24/7, frustrating...
Old 06-28-2004, 05:26 AM
Ivey

Thumbs down

7,000 miles down, build date July 03. Several small holes and a few additional rub marks on the inside - soon to be holes as well. Dealer ordered the new top Thursday so start the timer and we'll see how long it takes to get one delivered.

Also had them order a new fuel tank actuator (wasn't releasing properly) and a new front driver side splash guard (paint falling off).

Noticed this weekend that the flashing security light no longer flashes so I'll add that to the list next time I talk to them.

Even with these minor probs the Z has still been well worth it - although I might have waited for the '05 to avoid the headaches.

Mine is the only Roadster in the area so lets hope they know how to get the job done right.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:24 PM
jwkirkland

Originally posted by jwkirkland
Vin # 0008 Build Date 5/03

Just discovered the holes due to some "new" windnoise.
Calling Nissan today.

Live in San Diego so top is down almost 24/7, frustrating...
UPDATE

Here it comes, now I am getting hassled at the dealer because he has to have the factory rep come out and verify the problem...they claimed they have never heard of this and have not found any of the TSB #s I have given them off this thread...
I called NISSAN 800#.... they referred me back to my local dealer...nice....

To be continued...
Old 07-06-2004, 04:21 AM
Ivey

My local dealer had to take digital pictures and send them to Nissan before they would send him a new top.

That said however, the new top and install kit has already arrived and they are ready to put it on. With the speed that it arrived, I wonder if Nissan has begun mass producing new tops in preparation for a full recall...

I'm going to take several pictures of the current top and the paint job around it (in case of any new scratches). I'll also take some shots of the new top for comparison purposes and will try and make them available in a future post.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:03 AM
sujo16

My new top is good after it stretched a bit and lost it's wrinkles.
Also, the tonneau isn't hanging up on the trunk any longer.
Separate issue but related. Check out the holes above the windshield, where the top latches. On the passenger side the hard plastic is really chewed up after 3 weeks.
Anyone else have this problem after replacement?
Attached Thumbnails Check your Roadster top for pinholes-temp-412.jpg  
Old 07-10-2004, 03:44 PM
mrice
Banned

Originally posted by sujo16
My new top is good after it stretched a bit and lost it's wrinkles.
Also, the tonneau isn't hanging up on the trunk any longer.
Separate issue but related. Check out the holes above the windshield, where the top latches. On the passenger side the hard plastic is really chewed up after 3 weeks.
Anyone else have this problem after replacement?
YES, mine is exactly like that, waiting on the plastic parts for repair, there is a TSB on adjusting the top that I hope covers it.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:20 PM
sujo16

Originally posted by mrice
YES, mine is exactly like that, waiting on the plastic parts for repair, there is a TSB on adjusting the top that I hope covers it.
Do you know what the number of the TSB is? Is it separate from the top replacement TSB?
Take a look at the inside of the tonneau. Both sides on mine are also chewed up.
Attached Thumbnails Check your Roadster top for pinholes-temp-411.jpg  
Old 07-10-2004, 04:22 PM
sujo16

Better shot...
Attached Thumbnails Check your Roadster top for pinholes-temp-401.jpg  
Old 07-10-2004, 06:01 PM
mrice
Banned

Originally posted by sujo16
Do you know what the number of the TSB is? Is it separate from the top replacement TSB?
Take a look at the inside of the tonneau. Both sides on mine are also chewed up.
Mine also on the inside latch, I noticed it when I developed a rattle and saw it worn down, I put tape on it and cured the rattle. The TSB is NTB03-104 to adjust the top.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Zcollector

Update:

Nissan had started shipping just the cloth to re-cover the frame on the car. No longer replacing both fabric and frame. My car is in the shop today having the new cover installed, and also to have the Touneau cover adjusted, and re-painted since it caught on the trunk the other day, and chipped paint on the leading edges of both body panels.

To the person that was told the factory rep has to come out and inspect it... That's B.S. I took mine into the dealer for the top problem, they took pictures, sent them on to Nissan, and within a day or 2, I had warranty approval. For the paint on the trunk and Touneau, I took pictures, e-mailed them to the service manager of the local dealer, and within 1 hour, I had warranty approval from Nissan.

If the claim they never heard of these issues before, have them call Brad Schaefer at Autoway Nissan of Brandon in Brandon, FL. They replaced or are replacing 2 tops this week alone.

Quick Reply: Check your Roadster top for pinholes