Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

You guys thinking of lighting up your windscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 11:27 AM
MacGyver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to bring this old thread back up just in case there were still some interested parties out there in Z convertibles...

I'll be speaking with people soon about professional cases being made, but I have to redesign the board outline before that can happen. Be that as it may, the hardware and software/firmware for the digital windscreen lights has been finished for several weeks now and several have already shipped out the door for fellow S owners.

If anyone is interested in this for their Z and don't mind a non-professional looking case for the controller, feel free to contact me or check out my website. Price is $140, which includes 3-Day FedEx shipping to the contiguous 48 states.

As a review, this is where the code stands. Color is user-selectable at any time and is displayed using ultra-bright LEDs. Inputs are there for brakes (turns the screen red) and reverse (turns it white). Chosen color is saved in Flash EEPROM, so power can be removed without worry. A demo mode is provided which slowly cycles through the rainbow over about 25 seconds, then repeats...brake and reverse inputs continue to work while in demo mode, so you can actually leave it in demo mode while driving.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:39 PM
JJGALIA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Windscreen

I'm interested!
Old 03-10-2004, 02:31 PM
MacGyver

If interested, mention it here. I'll make these in batches of 5 at a time.

I'll also give a 50% discount (it will be a refund after purchase) to the first person who creates a quality set of install instructions for the Z, including pics and verbage.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Chasw1269

MacGuyver,
I'm still interested for my Z. How non-professional is the case? Also, I'm gathering that you don't have install instructions yet? Have you installed on any Z's yet, or just S2000's? One last thing, what is the website address you mentioned?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Chasw1269

I just looked up the website on your profile. Please advise on the other questions. I will definitely need instructions for the Z install, but I'm EXTREMELY interested in the windscreen lighting.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:07 AM
robho

Interested, but in need of install help... Could be able to write instructions after the fact...
Old 03-11-2004, 08:14 AM
MacGyver

Since I don't own a Z myself, and no one local seemed interested in getting one installed by me for free (the install would have been free, and 50% off on the lights), I'm stuck without a set of install instructions and pics. I know this will be a make or break item for most, but there's not much I can do...part of the reason I'm giving a 50% discount to the firsat installer who documents the install well.

The electrical side of the install is super simple. Only four wires need to be found in the car, and I expect those four to be in the same wire bundle in almost every car. Power for the controller is tapped from the brake lights/running lights...you turn your headlights on, the windscreen lights come on (for those who are interested in taking their car to shows, you may want to power the controller from a permanent-on source and a manual switch). Ground can be found almost anywhere, just look for a local bolt to attach to. The brake and reverse wires are more than likely going to be found in the same wire bundle as the brake lights/running lights. It's that simple! For the S, I placed the controller in a pop-out panel behind the driver's seat, and all of the wiring connections were found/made in the driver's foot sill (less than 2 feet of connection wire).

The controller board is going to be redesigned in the near future to allow for a custom case to be designed, but the cases probably won't be ready for several more months (I have to get it right the first time around, as it costs me around $5,000 just to make the mold!). So, the prototypes were designed for a standard project case (3.2" x 1.6" x 0.7"). It fits in the palm of your hand without a problem, but because it's a standard project case, I have to cut all of the holes. The connectors on either side sit at the bottom of the case, which leaves gaps towards the top (since they are pushed down into the case. The main control switch (a 5-way hat switch), has a non-round cap, which means I have to spend some time with the router shaping it...it's not perfect, and I wouldn't have it sitting out during a show where close inspection could happen, but it looks OK.

The hardware and software/firmware work beautifully, but the "production" side of things is still in the works. There was a lot of interest in this project initially, and since this is one of those projects which is mostly hidden from view anyway, I decided to offer what I currently have.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:58 AM
robho

I have a suggestion...

After reading all of the things on the s2k boards, and reviewing the progress of this - I am sitting here wondering if there is a way to add something so that the windscreen will only light when the top is down on the Z. Automatically lighting when the top is lowered would be very nice, but even a simple rocker switch to turn the lights on and off could prove useful. Have you considered this at all?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Chasw1269

Originally posted by MacGyver
Since I don't own a Z myself, and no one local seemed interested in getting one installed by me for free (the install would have been free, and 50% off on the lights), I'm stuck without a set of install instructions and pics. I know this will be a make or break item for most, but there's not much I can do...part of the reason I'm giving a 50% discount to the firsat installer who documents the install well.

The electrical side of the install is super simple. Only four wires need to be found in the car, and I expect those four to be in the same wire bundle in almost every car. Power for the controller is tapped from the brake lights/running lights...you turn your headlights on, the windscreen lights come on (for those who are interested in taking their car to shows, you may want to power the controller from a permanent-on source and a manual switch). Ground can be found almost anywhere, just look for a local bolt to attach to. The brake and reverse wires are more than likely going to be found in the same wire bundle as the brake lights/running lights. It's that simple! For the S, I placed the controller in a pop-out panel behind the driver's seat, and all of the wiring connections were found/made in the driver's foot sill (less than 2 feet of connection wire).

The controller board is going to be redesigned in the near future to allow for a custom case to be designed, but the cases probably won't be ready for several more months (I have to get it right the first time around, as it costs me around $5,000 just to make the mold!). So, the prototypes were designed for a standard project case (3.2" x 1.6" x 0.7"). It fits in the palm of your hand without a problem, but because it's a standard project case, I have to cut all of the holes. The connectors on either side sit at the bottom of the case, which leaves gaps towards the top (since they are pushed down into the case. The main control switch (a 5-way hat switch), has a non-round cap, which means I have to spend some time with the router shaping it...it's not perfect, and I wouldn't have it sitting out during a show where close inspection could happen, but it looks OK.

The hardware and software/firmware work beautifully, but the "production" side of things is still in the works. There was a lot of interest in this project initially, and since this is one of those projects which is mostly hidden from view anyway, I decided to offer what I currently have.
I spoke to a friend at my dealership & to Doug @ Crawford Z Performance here in Nashville today. I think we can do it (& possibly make instructions). It appears there is almost no way to mount it without replacing the front half of the rollbar covers, so I'm going to go ahead & order new ones as soon as I can get ahold of the lighting kit. The only other potential problem might be the fact that the glass wind screen looks as if it's set in a solid grooved plastic, that may not allow for the lights to be mounted below it.
MacGyver, have you looked at the Z windscreen so that you can suggest placement of the lights? If you could look at one at a dealership & give a suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to put out the money, get the kit, & find out that it is impossible to mount. Or if you have people with the S2000 kit already on in the Nashville area that would be willing to meet up & show me where the lights are mounted, this might work also.
Thanks!
Chas
Old 03-11-2004, 01:40 PM
MacGyver

Is it really necessary to disable the lights when the top is up? Everyone I know of who has this for the S leaves it on regardless of top position. In fact, since I run my headlights all of the time, day or night, the screen is practically never turned off. If it's really a necessary feature, I'll consider the option...

My original analog version used 4 LEDs along the bottom of the screen, but the LEDs I use with the new digital version are ultra-bright and have a wide viewing angle. Because of this, I easily get away with only 2 LEDs, one on each side of the screen. I have not had an opportunity to see inside the roll hoops (pics anyone?), but there has to be an empty spot along the bottom or side where two LEDs can poke through. I'll provide the LEDs mounted on a tiny PC board with flexible wire between them, so positioning should be simple.

While some of the tabs on the roll hoops will break during disassembly, those few who have taken it apart have stated not all of the tabs are necessary to put things back together. If enough of the tabs are broken off, a bit of glue could be used, like Goop. This will prevent the need to buy an expensive roll hoop cover. If you guys had to buy that piece again, I probably wouldn't even bother trying to sell this to you.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:42 PM
MacGyver

Oh, I forgot...here's a link to the S2000 group buy on the digital version. the second post shows instructions on how to program the system.

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showth...hreadid=183060
Old 03-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Kas_Z

so you never have gotten it done on a Z, so we cant see any pics on a Z??? That sucks. How much do the parts cost? (the led controller and all from you, the replacement rollbar covers)
Old 03-12-2004, 01:28 PM
MacGyver

$140 shipped (anywhere in the contiguous 48 states). Only pics on the S, but it's not like this is a bodykit or anything...a lighted screen will look pretty much the same no matter what car it's on. No need to replace the roll hoop covers, just use a bt of Goop and snap back in the tabs that didn't break during disassembly.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:22 AM
MacGyver

I have tentatively located someone (actually, they located me) who is willing to help document an install. Help is still several weeks out, but there is hope
Old 03-16-2004, 10:19 AM
AustinS2k2003

I have tentatively located someone (actually, they located me) who is willing to help document an install. Help is still several weeks out, but there is hope
Hey Mac my buddy is gonna drop you a line today - we can document the install on the Z for you!!!
Old 03-16-2004, 11:51 AM
rjpaterson
Z Enthusiast

MacGyver, I'm interested and am willing to experiment with install if needed
Old 03-16-2004, 02:56 PM
MacGyver

Just so everyone is clear what's involved at this point. I would like to determine if there is a convenient spot along the windscreen's edge to locate the LEDs. The mounting method will be determined in part by what's surrounding the screen or if any material needs to be removed.

The electrical side of things is the easiest portion to figure out, so I don't foresee any issues there. I'll need to determine the acceptable cable lengths, but that's obviously no biggie.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Chasw1269

Just so everyone is clear what's involved at this point. I would like to determine if there is a convenient spot along the windscreen's edge to locate the LEDs. The mounting method will be determined in part by what's surrounding the screen or if any material needs to be removed.

The electrical side of things is the easiest portion to figure out, so I don't foresee any issues there. I'll need to determine the acceptable cable lengths, but that's obviously no biggie.

I'll definitely take one, once the instructions are ready. Please let us know when you have them ready.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2004, 07:24 PM
MacGyver

Mike just sent me some great quality pics on the roll hoops taken off, the windscreen, etc. I haven't had an opportunity to look them over in detail, but things look promising.

I'll keep everyone up to date...
Old 03-29-2004, 06:55 PM
iu350Zatx

MacGyver, I am still very interested in getting your windscreen. Whenever you put the kit together, I am a definite buyer. Put me on the waitlist!!!! AustinS2K2003 and I will also experiment with the install if necessary.

Thanks!!!!!

Quick Reply: You guys thinking of lighting up your windscreen?