Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

You guys thinking of lighting up your windscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Chief F1 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in when this thing gets production ready. Obviously Mac is not going to make beaucoup bucks on this and doesn't appear to be his goal-rather just helping us out! The kit looks as tho it's gonna be less than 200, that to me is a steal.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:28 PM
MacGyver

Price will depend upon the cost of the replacement glass. I can't skimp out and get standard glass (must go the tempered route) as it's a potential legal issue, but I can't get standard tempered glass, either, as the tint won't work. So, cross your fingers I can find someone local who sells Starlite stuff for cheap.

Price on the basic kit will be $140 shipped anywhere in the contiguous 48 states, plus the cost of the glass. If anyone is interested in using this kit for something else and doesn't need the glass, it's just $140 shipped.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:01 AM
AustinS2k2003

I just want to say I have the first version of the S windscreen on my car - have for coming up on a year now - and I absolutely LOVE it. I had the very first one to ship out, and one of the joints on it was loose so I sent Mac the control box and he replaced it for me with no charge for me. He didn't have to do this but he did which is an example of his great customer service...a buddy of mine has a ZR and after seeing my S he's said he's wanted one for his Z forever!
Old 06-07-2004, 11:28 AM
mgoza

OK boys and girls the wait is over! I finally got the clear glass and a bigger Z emblem from my vinyl guy. The windscreen is installed and I now have pics to show. Sorry for the long wait, but it took time to have some of this stuff made. The glass I used was something called "starbright" or "starfire". It is a low iron content glass and is extremely clear. Cost for the glass locally was ~$75. It is tempered as well. Regular glass was about ~$15 cheaper. The clear was worth it to me.

Preston Hunt of www.streetartusa.com cut the frosted vinyl for me. The Z is now 3" tall leaving about 1" top and bottom on the windscreen. The Z emblem is not on his web site, but he will make them for people at $5 a piece. He can also custom cut any other design you might come up with for very reasonable prices. Just drop him a line and tell him I sent you. Fast professional work and good prices.

Anyway, here's the pic. Please excuse my poor picture taking abilities. The "hot spots" from the LEDs are due to their placement. Spreading them apart would cure that problem. This pic was taken at night with just the parking lights on.
Attached Thumbnails You guys thinking of lighting up your windscreen?-night_z.jpg  
Old 06-07-2004, 11:34 AM
mgoza

I forgot to mention in the last pic that the 3 lower glowing "edges" are actually reflections off the painted headrest and deck. Here's a pic with the garage lights turned on. The glow is still visible and you can see the reflections better.

I have to say I'm very pleased with the effect especially with the clear glass. I would NOT use the original glass that came with the car, you woiuld be very dissapointed in the effect (or lack thereof). With the clear glass, I may have to go in and turn down the brightness of the LED!

Enough of my babbling. Here's the lights on pic.
Attached Thumbnails You guys thinking of lighting up your windscreen?-day_z.jpg  
Old 06-07-2004, 11:55 AM
MacGyver

Many thanks, Mike. It's nice to see the stock glass tinting was the issue and not something larger.

Once these go on sale, the kit will include a piece of glass similar in style to what Mike picked up (without the logo...due to copyright issues, you'll have to source that one yourself). The kit also includes a long wire between the LEDs, so you don't have to position them as close together as Mike has shown (which should help mitigate the "hot spots" at the bottom of the Z). Don't forget, you can choose any color of the rainbow you want at any time with the simple press of a few buttons, Mike has simply chosen to display blue to match his ride.

Pricing, as mentioned before, will be $140 plus the price of the glass. I expect to get the glass cheaper in bulk, but assuming Mike's price, a total kit should come in at under $220 shipped (anywhere in the contiguous 48 states).
Old 06-07-2004, 03:24 PM
flukechance

Looks great!! I can't wait to get this installed.
Will this one turn red with the brakes?
Old 06-07-2004, 03:30 PM
MacGyver

Yep, red with brakes, white with reverse, and color-cycling/fading demo mode
Old 06-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Chief F1 Fan

aww man, this is gonna be awesome!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:20 PM
afr0puff

WOW!!!!! Great work Macgyver!
Old 06-08-2004, 04:26 AM
mgoza

As Dan said, the lights go red with brakes and white with reverse. Hooking that up was very simple. There is a wiring harness in the folding top compartment that is about 2 feet away from the windscreen which you can splice the 3 wires into. There is a bolt about 1 foot away for the ground wire. All wiring is easily accessable by lifting the vinyl cover in the compartment. The instructions point this out.

Enjoy guys and gals! I know I am!

Mike
Old 06-08-2004, 05:32 AM
afr0puff

MORE PICS!!! All angles... different distances. different colors!
Old 06-08-2004, 06:16 AM
rjpaterson
Z Enthusiast

Looks great, can't wait to order
Old 06-09-2004, 12:11 PM
MacGyver

Looks like I'm going to need some help on this one if it's to move forward I tried all of the glass places I could find within 30 miles of home, and not a single one was willing to sell me safety glass.

The good thing is, I've become a novice "expert" in the field of vehicular glass now that I've spoken to everyone and their uncle! Tempered glass is not what's needed (to my surprise), as that's used for things like LCD screens and eyewear (it shatters into small, soft-edged squares...I knew that part). We need laminated safety glass.

There must be some sort of conspiracy against me to prevent my purchase of something so simple as SAFETY GLASS, but I've had no luck....either they don't carry it, won't order it, or want to special make it to size.

Oh, I'm also amazed at how moronic some people truly are. How many times can I say to the same person "I'm replacing a WINDSCREEN in a convertible, NOT the WINDSHIELD" before it sinks in?! TWO, count them, not one, but TWO different companies had me on the phone for 5+ minutes getting down all of the details on size, tint level, etc., before they told me they didn't carry that type of glass...EVEN THOUGH I ASK THEM THAT AS THE FIRST QUESTION!!!!!! No wonder our world is going to hell in a handbasket...
Old 06-09-2004, 12:16 PM
MacGyver

Oh, forgot to add in this story...

After asking one guy (twice) if he carried that type of glass first off, he had me wait on hold for several minutes. When he came back, I had to ask the question two more times before he gave me an answer.

His answer? "You'll need to come into the shop and take a look at our stock." Of course, my response was "Can't you just tell me if you normally carry it?" "No, you'll need to come down to the store and look at out stock, I don't know if we have it".

"Uhhh, so lemme get this straight...I need to come down to your store 20 miles away so that I can go through your stock to determine if you carry it, yet you're the only one who can answer that question?" "uh huh"

"Did your parents have any children that lived?" <click>
Old 06-09-2004, 12:37 PM
flukechance

Oh my God, that is so funny!! I feel for ya, but hang in there. Your pain is for all of our gain.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

MacGyver - You're not using Starphire glass?
Old 06-12-2004, 11:10 PM
MacGyver

Unfortunately, I'm not using ANYTHING at the moment I spent the better part of a day trying to track down someone...anyone, who would sell me safety glass cut to shape. I must have called 60 shops or more within a 30 mile radius without luck.

This sucker is ready to go if I can just get the glass issue settled. In fact, I'm putting the finishing touches on the 8-page instruction manual as we speak (just the unit's instruction manual, not the 350Z-specific installation instructions...still need to clean those up).

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when something like this is the only issue stopping the presses
Old 06-13-2004, 05:49 AM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the glass issues Mac. PIA stuff like that takes a lot of the fun out of a project. Thanks for the perseverance. I'm still stressing over the idea of removing the plastic covers on the roll bars in the first place. Hopefully, I'll be able to find someone in San Diego that can do a competent job on the install.

Any chance that you'll offer the LEDs in an orange to match the LS color?
Old 06-13-2004, 08:41 AM
MacGyver

Install instructions willbe included with the kit, so you shoudln't have any problems doing it yourself.

As far as the LEDs go, they're multi-color units, so you can choose whatever color you want at any time....purple, green, orange, yellow, blue, red, etc. I suggest rereading the first page or so to see what options the kit offers, like demo mode, brake and reverse, etc.

Quick Reply: You guys thinking of lighting up your windscreen?