350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Convert Top Open / Close Switch to One Touch

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:37 AM
KPierson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert Top Open / Close Switch to One Touch

KPtechnologies has been contacted and asked to build a One Touch module for the new G37 convertable. New G37 owners are complaining about holding the button down for ~30 seconds while the top does its thing.

I've never actually been in a ZR but I've done some research and the wiring is very similar, so I would think the same module would work for both the G and the Z. Is there any interest in a product like this? It would be very reasonably priced (around $50 plus shipping) and would have built in safeties so that the top can still be stopped once started.

How long does the Z top take to fully retract and to fully close?

Thank you,
Old 10-28-2009, 08:21 AM
johndoesdamage

I want one
Old 10-28-2009, 12:22 PM
FishBrownie

It takes just under 30 seconds. While I don't see it as an inconvenience to hold the button down, it would be nice to be able to push the button and have the top drop while putting your seat belt on and getting everything situated inside the car (radio, ac/heat, etc.). Safeties would definitely be needed so the motors don't get burned out in the event that the top doesn't completely fold up in the cubby. Mine sometimes doesn't fold down all the way and I have to "reverse" it a bit and try again to get it stowed away. It would also be nice to have one made so that it fits in the empty button spot next to the seat heaters, like the 370ZR has. $50 for switch seems a little high if it is just a straight replacement. Now, if it includes a patch wire to run from current location to next to the seat heaters, that would be sweet. Just my $.02.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:48 PM
KPierson
Banned

We wouldn't be replacing the switch, we would be modifying the existing switches behavior.

The module would be based around a 1mhz processor and would contain all the logic and circuitry required to make the modification. The module would come with a detachable genuine Molex wiring harness and be enclosed in a durable plastic enclosure (like all KPtechnologies modules)

It would look very similar to this:

Old 10-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Phreakdout

I assume this box simply holds the voltage at the switch long enough to open or close the top. Can it be interupted in case there is an emergency?

I might be interested.

Right next to the top switch is the TCS (Traction Control System) off switch. For anyone who has replaced their tires and wheels with a non-standard size experiences the need to shut this off every time you drive.

If you can make this box to activate the "TCS OFF" on start up and allow one touch top control, I'd buy one in a heart beat. I'm tired of switching off the TCS everytime I drive.

( Of course, I would like to be able to hit the TCS button when I want it on. )

Last edited by Phreakdout; 10-29-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 AM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
I assume this box simply holds the voltage at the switch long enough to open or close the top. Can it be interupted in case there is an emergency?

I might be interested.

Right next to the top switch is the TCS (Traction Control System) off switch. For anyone who has replaced their tires and wheels with a non-standard size experiences the need to shut this off every time you drive.

If you can make this box to activate the "TCS OFF" on start up and allow one touch top control, I'd buy one in a heart beat. I'm tired of switching off the TCS everytime I drive.

( Of course, I would like to be able to hit the TCS button when I want it on. )
The way the system would work is you would hold the button down for at least .5 seconds but no longer then 1.5 seconds. This would activate the "one touch" feature (while still allowing the switch to be operated like OEM if you don't want the one touch feature). The module would hold the correct signal on the correct wire for a preset amount of time. If, at any time, you push the opposite button (say it is opening and you push the close button) the output would immediately shut off.

As far as TCS/VDC goes, we've had a Traction Control Memory module available for ~5 years now (http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/4). As of right now there are no plans in mixing the functionality of the two modules. However, since we engineer and manufacture all of our modules in house we can provide custom requests at very reasonable prices (a custom "simple off" addition like this would be ~$20 extra).
Old 10-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by KPierson
The way the system would work is you would hold the button down for at least .5 seconds but no longer then 1.5 seconds. This would activate the "one touch" feature (while still allowing the switch to be operated like OEM if you don't want the one touch feature). The module would hold the correct signal on the correct wire for a preset amount of time. If, at any time, you push the opposite button (say it is opening and you push the close button) the output would immediately shut off.

As far as TCS/VDC goes, we've had a Traction Control Memory module available for ~5 years now (http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/4). As of right now there are no plans in mixing the functionality of the two modules. However, since we engineer and manufacture all of our modules in house we can provide custom requests at very reasonable prices (a custom "simple off" addition like this would be ~$20 extra).
^^ OK, I'm guilty of not checking your website. First time I've heard of 'ya.
Two seperate systems would be preferred IMO. Looking at your offerings, I can see a couple winter projects coming my way.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:24 PM
F34RL355
Banned

im in
Old 10-30-2009, 12:11 PM
sdbarker

Yup, I'm in.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:34 PM
KPierson
Banned

We only got about 5 people showing interest right now between the two forums. I would love to see some more interest, but I think I'm going to start writing the code and see where it goes. Luckily, we have some similar products in our line so it shouldn't take more then a day to fully develop the system.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:13 PM
NismoZR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in so let me know when available.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:13 PM
johndoesdamage

1.Johndoesdamage im in
Old 11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
gregom

Depends on the price... I probably would not be willing to pay more than $50. What would be really awesome is if it could be programmed to put the windows back up as soon as possible when putting the top back up.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:51 AM
SHILOW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Kevin,

Love the idea of the one-touch top switch and I would definitely purchase one.

If I may add a suggestion. How about a means to automatically raise the top if the car is left out in the rain unattended. As you know, many cars have an optical sensor mounted on the top inside of the windshield to see the first few drops of rain and turn on the windshield wipers. I have always thought it would be great if one of these sensors could be used with a cleverly designed module to automatically raise the roof and windows on a Z, parked forlornly out in the rain. I’d pay any amount for one of those. Any chance you could offer one?

I can appreciate that the R&D costs would be expensive for the relatively few Z roadster sales. However you would surely become rich and famous offering similar devices for other makes and models of convertibles!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Blooster

^^+1 !!

One-touch seems like overkill but auto-close for rain would be priceless! (Already got caught in a downpour.)
Old 11-17-2009, 01:07 AM
ObiShawn

Sounds cool- count me interested. For me, though, the nuisance isn't holding the button, it's standing on the brake pedal to activate the button.

If you can build a module, I can activate it remotely from my alarm fob. I know it won't latch, but closing it in an emergency would be better than nothing. I do this with my Honda, where all three windows raise when the alarm is activated; great to protect from tiny prying hands and sudden showers.

Wonder if I could then solenoid the latch somehow to clamp/release, to make it full auto...
Old 11-17-2009, 03:35 AM
350blue

Count me in too
Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 AM
JoEdaGiGGoLo

Question - What would happen if the top does not open all the way down on the first try?

At the last sequence, when the top is being stowed away, the tonnaeu does not close all the way - thus I have to lift it back up a little, and help it close the second time.

Will the system keep running or what?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 AM
KPierson
Banned

The system would continue to try to open the top until either the timer timed out or until you manually stopped it. If your top is not functioning correctly then I would recomend you get it fixed before adding something like this to it (especially if a warranty is still valid).

Quick Reply: Convert Top Open / Close Switch to One Touch