350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Nissan wont replace my top - manufacturer defect, it seems

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:39 AM
NewOrleans350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan wont replace my top - manufacturer defect, it seems

Here's the problem:

I have a 2007 Roadster. The bar that goes across the middle of the underside of the top has a small plate on each side with two screws in each plate; one is just about directly over the drivers head, and the other would be above a passenger's head. They are small, and the screw heads are each about the size of a pea. Well, whne the top closes, these screws rub on the inside of the top, and have slowly worn a hole into the top, on both sides.

I take my car to the dealership, and they say it looks like that is the problem, but you need to call headquarters to get it approved because the cost is over our limit to approve it ourselves. I call HQ, tell them the deal, then they call me back and tell me "The cause is from outside factors. We cannot replace the top." If it is happening on both sides, in the identical place, seems like its the screws.

Any suggestions? I am pretty mad right now.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 AM
xben9x

It sounds like the same spot that was on the 06 roadster I test drove. Almost as if it is stretched too tight in that area. I think its a problem that needs to be addressed. Sorry to hear about that. I think everyone needs to post that this has happened to and get HQ to do something.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Hexxus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lawyer up.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:20 PM
fran914

Default yea its bs i know

samething happened to me and they told me the same thing argued for hours but nothing, its deff a problem from top not no bs outside factors that ******** man i hate nissan sometimes for these ******** claims they make, update us if anything happens
Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Blu Hvn

My suggestion is to get with the service department manager and/or the general manager/owner of the dealership and ask them to contact Nissan on your behalf.
Is the car still under warranty? Do you have extended warranty?
Old 10-29-2009, 03:54 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Hexxus
Lawyer up.
Getting a lawyer involved would probably cost far more than simply replacing the top. I would imagine the top could be replaced for $1000-$1200 and the lawyer would probably cost that much or more. And, Nissan might still not replace the top.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:01 PM
z2g

I see you from New orleans, bring it to Ray Brand Nissan and speak to the service manager(think his name is Scott)
Old 10-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Blooster

You said you contacted "HQ". Maybe you can contact Nissan?

Their answer is terrible, since it clearly sounds like a mfr defect!

Even with no lawyer, I'd at least escalate and write a nasty letter or two.

Tell them your experience is discouraging your forum buddies from considering the 370zr.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by NewOrleans350z
Here's the problem:

I have a 2007 Roadster. The bar that goes across the middle of the underside of the top has a small plate on each side with two screws in each plate; one is just about directly over the drivers head, and the other would be above a passenger's head. They are small, and the screw heads are each about the size of a pea. Well, whne the top closes, these screws rub on the inside of the top, and have slowly worn a hole into the top, on both sides.

I take my car to the dealership, and they say it looks like that is the problem, but you need to call headquarters to get it approved because the cost is over our limit to approve it ourselves. I call HQ, tell them the deal, then they call me back and tell me "The cause is from outside factors. We cannot replace the top." If it is happening on both sides, in the identical place, seems like its the screws.

Any suggestions? I am pretty mad right now.
How many miles on the car? Still under the 3yr / 36K mile bumper to bumper? If so, then they don't need any further "approval". It should be covered. Period. The wear is from the inside --> out. You could care less about the dealership's approval levels. The car is covered. If they need further approval, then the bloody dealer should know "who needs to be called." What a bunch of lazy *****.

Document the heck out of this. If you're close to your 3/36, then they are trying to delay long enough for you to get out of it.

Here is the warranty book for 2007: http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/warranty/2007_Wrnty.pdf

If you're past the 3/36, then everything is in a grey area. Doom on us. I agree it's a design problem. Call the 800# in the warranty booklet link above. See what they can say. As far as I can see, there is no specific warranty on the top or mechanisms after 3/36. Even the body warranty is not loose enough to cover it.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2009, 12:54 PM
duro78

Try a different dealership
Old 10-30-2009, 04:24 PM
NismoZR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah try different dealer when my warranty was about to expire in a month my convertible top rip so I brought to a local dealer and they did the claim and everything for me. I did not have to call HQ to get approve. HQ has rep that come down to my dealership like once a week so there no need for us to contact them. It take about a week or two to get approve b/c it is really pricey to replace. Good Luck. Def try diff dealership.

Last edited by NismoZR; 10-30-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:20 AM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bumper to bumper warranty won't cover top. correct me if i'm wrong..i tried it before and they said i have to buy whole thing so i said NO. Good luck bro.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:15 PM
JMT

Originally Posted by yogipower
bumper to bumper warranty won't cover top. correct me if i'm wrong..i tried it before and they said i have to buy whole thing so i said NO. Good luck bro.
My top was replaced when my car was under the original manufacturer's 3/36,000 warranty.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:57 AM
katiesdad7

My warranty expires in Feb and is in the shop now. They ordered the new top and will replace it after the holidays. No problem.

If you get no satisfaction I would spend the $80 ( that the cost here in FL) to file the small claims case. I have done a few and have NEVER had to go to court. They settle with you just to save the lawyer fees. Plus you get a bunch of free stuff. Well in excess of the $80 filing fee. Another good thing is you don't have to call them, they call you! You get the person at the top and they make the problem go away.

Last edited by katiesdad7; 12-19-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Blooster

Originally Posted by katiesdad7
My warranty expires in Feb and is in the shop now. They ordered the new top and will replace it after the holidays. No problem.

If you get no satisfaction I would spend the $80 ( that the cost here in FL) to file the small claims case. I have done a few and have NEVER had to go to court. They settle with you just to save the lawyer fees. Plus you get a bunch of free stuff. Well in excess of the $80 filing fee. Another good thing is you don't have to call them, they call you! You get the person at the top and they make the problem go away.
Good advice. What problem did you have with your top?