Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Newbie needs help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Northwoodz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help

Just took delivery of an 06 yesterday. They brought it from out of state. It was of course frezzing cold and pouring rain (northern MI). I checked out the car as best I could, but rain stopped briefly today and I find the power top does NOT work. It stops short of collapsing all the way in. What should I look for? The dealership has been difficult at best on this buy, and I expect them to ignore me.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:53 PM
aaronz8

good luck!
Old 10-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

harass the living hell out of them. prepare to get a lawyer to look at the transaction, because you DON'T want to have to pay out of pocket for that. if your motors are bad, then you got some expensive problems, but it could be that elastic band thing...
Old 11-01-2009, 12:02 AM
DB350

Yea definately get on their *** about it. If you don't say anything they will just say you broke it.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:11 AM
JMT

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
It was of course frezzing cold and pouring rain (northern MI). I checked out the car as best I could, but rain stopped briefly today and I find the power top does NOT work. It stops short of collapsing all the way in. What should I look for?
Even thought it stopped raining, was it still really cold? The owner's manual says the top should not be operated when it is below a certain temperature (I think it says 40 degrees). I believe this is due to the top material losing it's flexibility when it's very cold. Consequently the motors cannot fold it down sufficiently to fit in the space under the tonneau cover.
The dealership has been difficult at best on this buy, and I expect them to ignore me.
If you bought it "as is" with no warranty, you might be on your own with this.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Northwoodz

Originally Posted by JMT
Even thought it stopped raining, was it still really cold? The owner's manual says the top should not be operated when it is below a certain temperature (I think it says 40 degrees). I believe this is due to the top material losing it's flexibility when it's very cold. Consequently the motors cannot fold it down sufficiently to fit in the space under the tonneau cover.If you bought it "as is" with no warranty, you might be on your own with this.
It has the remainder of the factory warranty, but my closest dealer is almost 2 hours away. The car has 28K on the odometer. And yes, it was in the low 30's. It warmed up to about 45 yesterday. Tried it 3 times again, and it jams in the same place every time. The dealer won't return my calls (left on the sales manger's & sales persons cell phones), so I instructed my loan officer (via e-mail) to put a stop payment on the loan (cashiers) check if possible immediately on Monday.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Phreakdout

Even in Southeastern Michigan, my top would stop short (just the last few inches) when it's cold. This past summer, not once did it do this. So I believe the material flexibility response is the answer.

There is a little bit of adjustment in the top. See if you can let it down in short steps and watch how the material folds. Make sure nothing is sticking out or not folding correctly. I think this is just the issue in cold weather. If you see the top physically hitting something on closure, then there are shims on the right and left sides. Removing or adding shims may slightly shift the top enough to clear.

If you ever head down this way, let us know. We can have us local Z guys take a look at it. I replaced my complete top assembly last year with a used one. I had to adjust the shims a little to get it to work right.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Northwoodz

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Even in Southeastern Michigan, my top would stop short (just the last few inches) when it's cold. This past summer, not once did it do this. So I believe the material flexibility response is the answer.

There is a little bit of adjustment in the top. See if you can let it down in short steps and watch how the material folds. Make sure nothing is sticking out or not folding correctly. I think this is just the issue in cold weather. If you see the top physically hitting something on closure, then there are shims on the right and left sides. Removing or adding shims may slightly shift the top enough to clear.

If you ever head down this way, let us know. We can have us local Z guys take a look at it. I replaced my complete top assembly last year with a used one. I had to adjust the shims a little to get it to work right.
Thanks for the offer! I am originally from down your way, and I do come down quite a bit during the Spring/Summer months. I'll keep that in mind if I get no results.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Smile@9k

Yep, mine will occasionally hang up just before the top fully retracts...only on 'colder' days. Simple fix that worked everytime is to start closing the top immediately when it stops short, and then quickly push 'open' again. It doesn't fix the problem, but is a band aid. Never fails.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:54 PM
FishBrownie

Mine stops sometimes at the very end, when the bottom part of the top with the black plastic cover has to make the final fold-under inside the stowage area. I usually just back it up a bit and try a couple of more times, and it goes. Just don't stay on the switch trying to force it in, you might burn up the wussy little motors.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Northwoodz

Tried all that. The moment it stops, I bring back up a few inches to a foot and try to get it back down. Been playing with it all weekend and nothing. Sales manager and sales person will not return my calls. We'll see how this plays out today.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:50 AM
ear-doc2

Remember the warranty is 36,000 miles or 3 years whichever comes first.
Check the date the car was sold or put in service.